• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help! Scar 17.

angrypanda71

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2012
indiana
Good Afternoon my fellow hides member, I need to help or some input. I am attending a Precision Rifle class in September 2014. I am planning to take my Scar 17 for the class. My set up for the Scar right now is I have a factory Scar 17, I switch out the butt stock for a VLTOR SCAR Receiver Extension/Stock Adapter. My Scope is going to be a Nightforce F1 or a Steiner 3x15. My question is what type of mount should I use to mount the scope. What type of bi pods would best work with a DMR/LR set up for this Scar? Should I change out the Trigger or just used the stock trigger? What type of butt stock will work well for this Vltor Scar Extension/ Stock Adapter? What type of ammo should I get to get the best result for the Scar 17? My goal is to set up a LR/DMR Scar 17 Rifle. Any input would be great. Thank you for your time.

The factory triggers are meant for field and combat use. For that purpose they do very well. Just compare it to an M-16 A2 trigger and you will see what I mean. With that said, the Geissele trigger is an awesome upgrade. The SPUR mount is very rugged and is what I use.

Scar trigger is in every way superior to a mil spec ar15 trigger. With that being said for this application...get the super scar.

I would also get an extended rail like the MI and stick with a quality 1 piece mount like badger or spuhr. Get a set of torque wrenches like the borka for mounting up optics.

For your scope mount I'd suggest a solid, non-cantilever mount or a set of quality rings. Be careful of using a cantilever mount - 1) its not needed on the SCAR due to the monolithic rail and 2) non-cantilever mount will better support the scope and reduce any potential effects of the forward bolt impulse on the SCAR. I like the American Defense Mounts or Warne Maxima rings.

Harris bipods are hard to beat, especially if you get one with cant and ad a PodLoc. Step up to the Atlas bipod if you want something a bit more versatile and lighter weight.

For the trigger, most guys are swapping out to the Geissele, Shooting Sight, or Timney triggers. I probably will at some point, but I find that I'm able to manage the factory trigger well enough to be accurate out to 500 yards.

Stock options are pretty much endless as your Vltor adapter takes any AR-stock and tube. Magpul and Vltor have some nice options. Ace makes a nice skeletonized stock which is pretty much no-frills simple.

Federal Gold Medal Match is the standard I use to assess the accuracy of my .308 rifles. I believe 168 gr. is pretty much middle of the road and is a good starting point for most barrels.

Scar trigger is in every way superior to a mil spec ar15 trigger. With that being said for this application...get the super scar.

I would also get an extended rail like the MI and stick with a quality 1 piece mount like badger or spuhr. Get a set of torque wrenches like the borka for mounting up optics.

HA HA HA HA. Hardly the stock SCAR trigger is one of the worst triggers I have tried on a stock rifle outside of a bullpup like the Tavor. But that said the super scar trigger is good and I have one on mine. No way I was going to live with the craptacular trigger that came on the gun.
Pat

Good Afternoon my fellow hides member, I need to help or some input. I am attending a Precision Rifle class in September 2014. I am planning to take my Scar 17 for the class. My set up for the Scar right now is I have a factory Scar 17, I switch out the butt stock for a VLTOR SCAR Receiver Extension/Stock Adapter. My Scope is going to be a Nightforce F1 or a Steiner 3x15. My question is what type of mount should I use to mount the scope. What type of bi pods would best work with a DMR/LR set up for this Scar? Should I change out the Trigger or just used the stock trigger? What type of butt stock will work well for this Vltor Scar Extension/ Stock Adapter? What type of ammo should I get to get the best result for the Scar 17? My goal is to set up a LR/DMR Scar 17 Rifle. Any input would be great. Thank you for your time.

You are attending a precision rifle class with your SCAR 17. Urban rifle or actual long range precision. The SCAR is not a precision rifle. Good luck.

The SCAR was designed as a Battle Rifle which is different from a Precision SemiAuto rifle. I would definitely change out the Factory Trigger for a Super SCAR unit. Since it s flat top and you're wanting to use it for LR I would get a QD Scope Mount with a Built In 20MOA Cant. QD because you would want to be able to change the optic from scope to Red Dot if needed since most people buy SCARs for their Light Weight Battle Rifle Capabilities. As for the Bipod, go Atlas if you have the $$ or Harris if you don't but I would also get QD mounts for them. Again, you do not want to lose the Light Weight Battle Rifle nature so anything you're thinking about adding on needs to be easy to take off and swap. It's gets expensive but if you can afford a SCAR you can probably afford the accessories...I hope.

M118LR or 175gr FGMM would be the sure bet ammo for just about any semi auto, I would also try the 168 AMAX as well to see if you have any luck with that round. Good Luck and Have Fun!

HA HA HA HA. Hardly the stock SCAR trigger is one of the worst triggers I have tried on a stock rifle outside of a bullpup like the Tavor. But that said the super scar trigger is good and I have one on mine. No way I was going to live with the craptacular trigger that came on the gun.
Pat

Shut the fuck up and stop following me around troll. You have zero fucking reputation here so do yourself a favor. None of your bullshit 400lb civilian classes mean shit in the real world. You don't know shit.

If you think the SCAR is the worst trigger you have tried on a factory rifle, you are as ignorant and naive as I initially suspected.

Last edited:
Shut the fuck up and stop following me around troll. You have zero fucking reputation here so do yourself a favor. None of your bullshit 400lb civilian classes mean shit in the real world. You don't know shit.

If you think the SCAR is the worst rifle you have tried on a factory rifle, you are as ignorant and naive as I initially suspected.

Awe poor baby did your little feelings get hurt. The reality is your reputation here is worse than zero. You slam everyone you can. Nearly every post you do extols the virtues of the SCAR over any other gun. Frankly most of us are getting annoyed with your childishness. You are the one who keeps trying to slam my background as a law enforcement officer and trainer. I will not sink to the same level and slam your military service as I have a great deal of respect for those in the military and my best friend is currently serving at Ft. Benning and is a sponsored shooter. The reality is however is yes training and experience do mean something even if that training is outside of the military, rather you want to admit it or not. Now run along and go have a good cry and come back when you can converse like an adult without every other word being a four letter one. You have some growing up to do.
Pat

Awe poor baby did your little feelings get hurt. The reality is your reputation here is worse than zero. You slam everyone you can. Nearly every post you do extols the virtues of the SCAR over any other gun. Frankly most of us are getting annoyed with your childishness. You are the one who keeps trying to slam my background as a law enforcement officer and trainer. I will not sink to the same level and slam your military service as I have a great deal of respect for those in the military and my best friend is currently serving at Ft. Benning and is a sponsored shooter. The reality is however is yes training and experience do mean something even if that training is outside of the military, rather you want to admit it or not. Now run along and go have a good cry and come back when you can converse like an adult without every other word being a four letter one. You have some growing up to do.
Pat

Alaskapoop, this is troll account right?

Thanks

Not trying to stir shit up but the stock SCAR trigger is worth trying to get used to. It takes a little practice but it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I do agree that the super scar will get you there quicker. I would use the ADM mount and get yourself an angled charging handle.

Agree with what others have said about the trigger. The factory triggers really seem to vary gun-to-gun. Mine wasn't great. I like the GG&G angled handle.

I've used nightforce rings and unimounts on my Scar 17s without any issues. I recommend the Geissele trigger for any type of precision shooting, mine is a little light but does a great job of ensuring the light rifle stays on target. I would also look at an extended rail to give you more options with barricades, etc. In addition, mounting the bipod further out will extend the pivot point helping with muzzle movement.

For a SCAR 17 in a urban DMR or LR DMR i go with LT model at Larue since they do have a awsome track record. Plus note get a good eye relief since Larue SPR mount or DMR mount they sit foward.

Not sure this helps. just my thinking. :)

Not trying to stir shit up but the stock SCAR trigger is worth trying to get used to. It takes a little practice but it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I do agree that the super scar will get you there quicker. I would use the ADM mount and get yourself an angled charging handle.

That doesn't work for the chairborne commando's who get 100% of their intel from other chairbone commandos whose only experince is using the gun in COD.

I have yet to see one of these poor trigger SCAR's, and ive probally shot or dryfucked close to a dozen of them. Perhaps it was an issue with a few early guns, but every gun after around 25XXX, has had a very good stock trigger.

For a SCAR 17 in a urban DMR or LR DMR i go with LT model at Larue since they do have a awsome track record. Plus note get a good eye relief since Larue SPR mount or DMR mount they sit foward.

Not sure this helps. just my thinking. :)

Not a good idea bro. Larue is craptastic with their wandering tensions. Also, its not a great idea to use a steel lever on your once piece extruded aluminum reciever. Steel vs Alum.......Who wins?

There are MUCH superior products on the market at lower, the same and higher price points.

Larue was cool 10 years ago when your choices were ARMS or duct tape. They haven't been acceptable in a long time.

EDIT: It also has a full mono rail, no reason for a cantiliver.

Last edited:
Pat

Well said, I am sure as you said many Hide members agree with you on his profanity laced rants. By the way the trigger on my SCAR 17 was horrible as well and its serial number was above 25XXX. Not only was the trigger horrible but the accuracy was at best mediocre with 175 grain FGMM or my tailored hand loads which was the reasons it's now gone. As far as sinking to his level I also agree. You gain nothing when besting someone like him.

Last edited:
Military service is great but if you put a uniform on an asshole you still have an asshole, just properly dressed.

The "ignore user/ ignore A-hole" is a great feature.