• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help select scope

Re: help select scope

Welcome to the hide! Please use the search function as this question has been asked and answered several times. You posted in the rimfire section but didn't state if its .22 or .17. The answer depends on the weapon and what you intend to use it for. Good Luck!

Although the general consensus seems to be that Barska and leapers are junk, I do know a few guys that put them on all of their rimfire rifles. They like them because they work and are cheap. As many as they buy, they really aren't surprised when they get one that needs to go back, but they suffer through it until they get one that works.

You can take that for what it's worth.

I'd suggest looking at something better.

Why do you want a scope with high magnification on a .22 that you will only shoot to maybe 100 yards? And the bushnell and simmons lines were the only ones on your list that I can recommend. The vortex first two reviews were negative for the same reason and I had a konus scope strip out the windage adjustment. In my opinion, save yourself the time and shipping, go to your local walmart and pick up a bushnell 3x9x40.
just my two cents.

A cheap scope that has worked for me out to 200, on my. 22, is the centerpoint 4-16x40 from walmart. 69.00. Cheap but it works until I get a better variable in mil/mil.
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you want a scope with high magnification on a .22 that you will only shoot to maybe 100 yards? And the bushnell and simmons lines were the only ones on your list that I can recommend. The vortex first two reviews were negative for the same reason and I had a konus scope strip out the windage adjustment. In my opinion, save yourself the time and shipping, go to your local walmart and pick up a bushnell 3x9x40.
just my two cents. </div></div>
My goal is quarter size groups at 100yds.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTriever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of your second list, Mueller APV. </div></div>
The mueller AVP was my favorite out the the lot too but I wanted to know if anyone had any negative to say about it

The only Mueller I've had is the Tactical(3-10 x 44 MD); but, I've had it on multiple guns and It has functioned flawlessly. It has crisp adjustments and always returns to zero. I even had it on a .243Win and it worked great / no issues.

Good luck with your choice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My goal is quarter size groups at 100yds.</div></div>

Optics will play a part, but your rifle is really the one that will decide this. Even still, don't expect 1" groups "all day long" but if you can average right around 1"... you win.

I use a 16X Super Sniper which is a little out of your $150 budget, but I have no issues seeing hits with it at 100 yards.

I would look at a scope purchase now that will be what you WILL need for shooting that good at 100yrds. I would save a little coin and buy the Bushnell 10x, or save a little more yet for a Super Sniper 10x or 16x.

Also, don't overlook the "For Sale" section here. There may be buys to be had there. For instance, I bought a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 for $1200. You may find someone who just wants to make a fast, sure sale for quick cash for an upgrade. I saw a Super Sniper 10x with rings, freight included, for $250. That, my friend, is what I would do. Mostly everything in the for sale section is going to be a good product.

YMMV

Wally

As to the question why so much magnification. I have a BSA Sweet 22 and I have problems seeing where I hit at 100yds because my awesome eye sight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to the question why so much magnification. I have a BSA Sweet 22 and I have problems seeing where I hit at 100yds because my awesome eye sight </div></div>
Ain't necessarily your eyesight there... The Sweet .22 may be OK for casual squirrel plinking, but not the best choice for "real" use.

No experience with the Simmons so nada to offer there.

I like the 10x SS. I was out yesterday with my Savage MK II TR with the 10x SS and Wolf Match, I was ringing a 1.5" steel spinner target at 100 yards without a problem. Great scope for the money. Save a little bit and get yourself one...you won't regret it.

Well I think target turrets are a must so that leaves the Mueller as my pick. Its a bit heavy on magnification for a .22 IMO but its your choice.

Are you talking about the 1/8moa vs 1/4moa. As for the magnification being to much. It won't be too much unless I can see a grasshoppers penis from 100yds

I'm talking about the style of turrets. Target turrets vs a hunting target which the simmons looks like it has. Target turrets are a taller turret that is easily adjusted with your fingers for dialing in different dope fairly often. If you were to set it and forget it, then the low profile hunting style turrets would be fine as they are a bit more tedious to dial in and sometimes requires tools. 1/8th moa is a bit fine for me but Ill take the 1/8 moa target turrets all day long over the low profiles.

Oh I see what you're talking about. I do personally like taller turrets but I didn't know they were different types. I thought it was just manufacturer design

take a look at center point 4-16,AO,illum,mildot @ wally world. $70 with rings. no,it ain't a S&B,but some of us do have $ issues. i have no reason to think the one i have is causing problems in my rimfire work.

I bought a .17 that came with a Mueller 8.5-25. Eye relief was very tricky, glass was mediocre, image quality beyond about 12x was shit, and crosshair was way too thick for small critters at distance. I quickly ditched it in favor of a Vortex Crossfire 4-12 with fine crosshair and AO. While the Crossfire 6-24 seems to have a poor record, my 4-12 has been flawless. Glass is good, tracks fine (although I do not dial shots) and the fine crosshair works great on the smaller critters.

I do run a Mueller APV in 4.5-14 on my .22 and it is pretty nice. No issues like the 8.5-25 although image quality beyond 12ish power is not great.

From reading on rimrife central the Simmons reticle is calibrated at 14x and the Mueller is calibrated at 10x and then at full magnification the mueller reticle is 40% bigger than the Simmons. My intentions are to get my Savage Mark II BTV to be able to group 1/2in to 1in at 100yds. How much is the rectile being bigger at full magnification going to make a diff when at the 100yd target?
Once again the 2 scopes in question are
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=168462
and
http://www.opticsplanet.net/mueller-8-5-25x-44mm-1-inch-ao-tactical-shock-proof-rifle-scope.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From reading on rimrife central the Simmons reticle is calibrated at 14x and the Mueller is calibrated at 10x and then at full magnification the mueller reticle is 40% bigger than the Simmons. My intentions are to get my Savage Mark II BTV to be able to group 1/2in to 1in at 100yds. How much is the rectile being bigger at full magnification going to make a diff when at the 100yd target?
Once again the 2 scopes in question are
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=168462
and
http://www.opticsplanet.net/mueller-8-5-25x-44mm-1-inch-ao-tactical-shock-proof-rifle-scope.html </div></div>

Not to pop your bubble but i have custom top of the line 22s that wont do what you want at 100. As for the 2 scopes you have listed i would get the Mueller. Another scope to look at that isnt to expensive is a Nikon. Ive used a couple and there pretty good.

frown.gif
. My buddy has a 10/22 with just a trigger job and his does so hopefully I will be able to

I hope yours does also. It will save you a lot of time and money. I started with 1 custom 40x a while back. Im at 14 40x and 3 37s and 2 Anschults and 1 Suhl today

I fully believe the March scope is the best scope there is. I also use it on my F/Open and F/TR guns. A Knightforce is a big step down from a March scope. The only thing that i have that is close it a SB 12x50.