• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help selecting Left Handed short action for build

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
I am planning on a rifle build later this year. The gun will be used for tactical competitions and some hunting. Since I am left-handed I am not allowed to have nice things, or at least not all of the choices of nice things you "norms" get. Initially I had figured I would get a Remington action but with the recall those are not going to be coming out any time soon. I don't want to buy a donor gun since 1. they are scarce, 2. used ones even more so, 3. I would probably take a bath on parting it out. That leaves me with a custom action, which I am hesitant about out of fear that the tight tolerances will reduce reliability. With that said, I don't want to wait forever for Remington to unscrew itself.

I am considering the Stiller Tac 30 A/W and the Defiance Deviant actions, but am open to others that will provide reliability and contribute as much as possible to accuracy. A Remington 700 foot print would be ideal and accepting DBM is a must. I have reviewed many of the previous threads on this topic, unfortunately many of them were several years old and therefore possible OBE as action manufacturers evolve their products.

With all that said, what would the collective brain trust recommend?

Thanks

I believe you can place an order with AJ at Bighorn. I ordered a righty and was told 2 months. They sent me an invoice so they are taking orders (at least they were 5-6 weeks ago).

I have 4 LH Stiller's, but liked the feel of a buddies Deviant so I ordered a couple... I haven't built on them yet, but I have been very happy with my Stiller's...The Deviant feels more solid and stout, but I have gotten excellent accuracy with all my Stiller's with zero complaints...the Deviant's sure do look bitchin' though....you will be happy with either...

image.jpg
I was in your same situation. Went with the stiller instead of finding a donor and spending the money to true it, bolt knob, recoil lug, and scope base you get close to the price of the custom action plus you get a side bolt release, bolt flutes, m16 style extractor, pinned lug, 8-40 screws and pins on the base and a more rigid action. The deviants do have a badass look to them and may try one eventually but I'm very happy with the stiller.

I think your assumptions with the Remington actions are inaccurate. Much like the right handed models, it is oftentimes cheaper to buy the whole gun and part it out. Even more, I have never seen a new left handed action sold by itself. I think the best route would be to find a lightly used left handed 700. When searching, also look for rifles with the same bolt face since you just want the action.

Being a Southpaw myself, I feel your pain. I've had good luck with the Stiller's that I have. I do have to admit though, I helped a buddy build a custom winny on a Deviant... that is one BAD ass action. I haven't had the pleasure of fondling a Big Horn yet.... damn it.

t

I've got a Remington and stiller. When i built my custom the price of buying a donor and having it tricked out put it so close to the stiller it was a no brainer. Plus its faster to build if you don't have to do all the extra work. My vote is stiller. You won't be disappointed.

i just got as bighorn lefty...smooth as silk...........but you cannot go wrong with a stiller either.

if you want the bighorn, contact AJ. it took alittle while but i got one.

Buy a Rem 700 243 left hand youth model from a big box or online, part it out and you can get a third to half your money back and add options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have all of the above except for the Big Horn and am a lefty too. I would go with the Stiller. I live in Dallas and went out to pick mine up. Very impressed with them. I have a new LH Templar V2 and would rather work the Stiller. Feels smoother.

People seem to really love the Bighorn too.

The Shilen stillers with the floating bolt head is an option also. You can put savage pre-fits barrels on them.

There are so many things wrong with your post, I would suggest a lot more research.

Almost everything available for RH is available for LH. AW/AI and TRG one of the few exceptions.

LH 700 actions can be found. Yes, they're rare-er but not impossible.

You're hesitant about a custom action for competition? Are you aware that the vast majority of tactical competition shooters USE custom actions? And guess what? There is no differences in the tolerance of a LH action and a RH action.

So pick your top three choices for a custom action and order the LH version.

Thanks everyone who provided good info. As luck would have it I found a really good deal on a Rem 700P LH LTR, so I will start with that, shoot it for a while and then use the action to build.