• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help! trg-42 .338lm

Tazman911

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Greenville, NC.
1st post so I know im going to get some flack but I need help.
I just got a trg-42 in .338lm and this rifle has me stumped! It is a 1-10 twist 27 inch barrel with leopold m4 6.5-20 with Barrett BORS.
I have shot 75 rounds so far with the best group being 1.5moa and as bad as 2.75 moa (5shots). The first 15 rounds threw the tube I cleaned after every shot, then every 5 after that. I have only tried Hornaday 250grn match factory ammo (40 rounds) and that was 1.5 - 2.0 moa average. The other 25 rounds were 300grn ser.MK with 4350. The reason for this post was to ask other TRG owners what they are shooting (ammo) and how their rifle shot when it was new. I am going to swap the scope tomorrow with a mark4 4.5-14 off my .308 that is a .5moa rifle to rule out optic problem. I know i need to try other ammo but this thing should shoot 1moa or less with any factory ammo I put in it (I hope)!
All of the shots were only at 100 yards

Re: Help! trg-42 .338lm

Send the rifle to me, I'll make sure it works. Mine out of the box was a bunch better then that. I say check the scope

I'd speculate it is a scope/mount issue as well. My trg-42 338lm is subminute with anything always. With handloads its far less than that. Try the other scope w/o BORS. I'm not saying anything against BORS, its just an unknown to me. Also, maybe run 10 or more rounds of whatever you are going to use most often before looking at group size. Switching ammunition during testing has almost always illustrated the need for its own break in period for the gun, at least for me. That said, I think you're done "breaking in" the barrel even assuming that was necessary in the first place. Good luck Taz. I doubt there is a problem with the gun. Let us know how it goes. kro.

Don't own an TRG-42, but it should be more accurate than that. I would check the scope and rings to make sure that everything is torqued to specs.

Don't worry about the break in, just shoot it, also try not to clean it so much, maybe your is a dirty littlle lady. Ie she likes to play dirty. I also say dump the bors.

Check all of the chassis bolts are torqued properly. I run mine at 65 inch pounds. Then check out your rail/mounts. Then your rings. Barrett has a specific set up for their rings, and this can be found on their website. The BORS should be a non-issue, assuming it's torqued, and installed properly. Also, if you are shooting from a bench, with the bipod, don't. Use a front rest and rear bag instead. Then stop cleaning it.
Hope this helps, as it is what worked for me.

R.

The base is the Sako low profile rail and Barrett EXrings set to 30 moa. Ill post my findings later this evening.

mine (300wm) did that at first, but the loads i was using were no where in the vicinity of what the gun liked (likes lower powder weight for some reason). also, maybe just me, but i cleaned it till every spec of build up was gone in the barrel, just to make sure, and now she stays pretty clean.

don't get too worried. it will shoot.

Agree with you that it should shoot much better. Mine was sub-MOA with ALL factory loads (black hills, lapua, norma) and handloads.

I'd strip it down, check all surfaces and contact points, and then reassemble/torque. Play close attention to the scope mount and receiver interface, as well as ring/mount interface. Also agree with switching out the scope.

The TRG is a hammer!

By the way, can assist here at my local 300 yard range, as I'm in Fayetteville...

One thing on the BORS. I dont under any circumstances second guess it. I would check the optic. Unless you got some bad data in the bors it should be sub 1/2 moa at 100yrds

Are you shooting off a bipod or sand bags? Reason I ask is I had the front stock come loose and would get two groups on sand bags (1st round when the rifle was put into the sandbag and all subsequent rounds would make a 2nd group after the stock slide on the bedding block).

Just out of interest are you using a muzzle brake?

A data point from me, in the last (first ;-) 338 rounds, my 1 in 12 twist TRG42 has been shooting well under 1 MOA (even hot) with a variety powders (5010, RL22, Retumbo, 4831SC, and RL25) at 2800fps+ using the 250 Scenar, 250 SMK or 200gr Nosler BT in Hornday or Lapua cases. Had a few 1MOA to 2 MOA groups with the stock was loose, but jumped back to under a half with a tight stock.

The 5010 and RL22 is shooting the best (0.4" to 0.6" at 100 yards, mostly with 3 round groups). The Retumbo is running half to three quarters and was doing fine in Casper Wy out to a mile a couple weeks ago (little breezy ;-).

Currently loading 12 ths off the rifling for most loadings (one interesting load with 250gr SMK load is touching but is too long to feed from the mag).

Guys
Excuse my bad english, i am outside USA.

About the TRG 338 LM, I have a friend who own one. The best groups are 1 inch at 100m. Handloads with Sierra 250 grains.
Scope is NF, rings and bases checked. I an´t impressed with the results. A custom build rifle. with Surgeon/Bat (you name it) action, premium barrel and a capable shooter can do best than this, or this is the limit(.5 to 1 MOA) for for this a big caliber?

Thanks

Good groups at 100 yards with a 338LM prove nothing. They will not automatically translate to good accuracy at long range. .5moa at 100 does NOT equal .5 moa at 750 or 1000 yards.

Cleaning every shot, IMO, is a waste of ammo and time. I've never performed the alleged "barrel break in" on ANY 338LM I've ever owned.Just shoot the gun.

You didn't post YOUR experience level. Are you capable of holding sub moa groups?I'm not trying to bust your balls-but not everyone practices the fundamentals of marksmanship,combined with your frustration level about "wasting" expensive factory ammo-you could easily see how your day at the range can be less than desired. If you have been able to shoot sub moa groups with another system it would only be at that point to start blaming your equipment.

First, check your scope mounting for proper torque. Unless that optic has been PROVEN on another system-I would try another scope.

Loading your own ammo will allow you to tailor the load to what the rifle likes-but factory ammo should give much better results than you are getting. But do not expect benchrest rifle accuracy from a tactical rifle. I have fired over 6K rounds of 338LM through several rifles and can attest that it is not inherently accurate as, say a 308.

The TRG42 is a proven rifle and is very capable. You will have to find the weak link in the chain and fix it. Shooting it at 100 yards,at least IMO is NOT the way to develop longrange performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good groups at 100 yards with a 338LM prove nothing. They will not automatically translate to good accuracy at long range. .5moa at 100 does NOT equal .5 moa at 750 or 1000 yards.

Cleaning every shot, IMO, is a waste of ammo and time. I've never performed the alleged "barrel break in" on ANY 338LM I've ever owned.Just shoot the gun.

You didn't post YOUR experience level. Are you capable of holding sub moa groups?I'm not trying to bust your balls-but not everyone practices the fundamentals of marksmanship,combined with your frustration level about "wasting" expensive factory ammo-you could easily see how your day at the range can be less than desired. If you have been able to shoot sub moa groups with another system it would only be at that point to start blaming your equipment.

First, check your scope mounting for proper torque. Unless that optic has been PROVEN on another system-I would try another scope.

Loading your own ammo will allow you to tailor the load to what the rifle likes-but factory ammo should give much better results than you are getting. But do not expect benchrest rifle accuracy from a tactical rifle. I have fired over 6K rounds of 338LM through several rifles and can attest that it is not inherently accurate as, say a 308.

The TRG42 is a proven rifle and is very capable. You will have to find the weak link in the chain and fix it. Shooting it at 100 yards,at least IMO is NOT the way to develop longrange performance. </div></div>

Arclight

I can do .25(eventually) to .5 MOA with my Rem 700 308 Winch. with Krieger 1/12 tw HV barrel at 100 yds and 168 grains SMK at 2500fps. But, i dont have much experience with these big boomers. Maybe my expectations are to hight, I will try at longer distances and see.

Thanks

Stop cleaning it and let the barrel settle in. If you can get it shooting well at 300yds-you'll probably see decent results at longer ranges.

I don't think your expectations are too high. .75moa at least has been my experience with the TRG42. It IS possible that you have one that doesn't shoot-but that is very rare.You should be able to get good accuracy at magazine length too. Double check all the fastener's on the whole gun.

Some may strongly disagree,but when you mention SAKO and LEUPOLD, it wouldn't surprise me that the Leupold is the WEAKEST link.

Give it another chance.Good Luck.