• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help w/ AR

Ball_istic

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2011
Hi all, new guy here. I have a number of bolt action rifles but, aside from a few 10/22s, this will be my first semi auto. I am interested in a heavy barrel model primarily for range use but may also drag it out for coyote duty on occasion. I have my eyes on this Les Baer: http://www.lesbaer.com/223IPSC.html but it's very expensive and for that price I was hoping to get exactly what I want not almost exactly what I want.

I would prefer a gas piston set up, a coated barrel, and an adjustable butt (LOP and cheek). Does any body know of a rifle already set up exactly like that or a shop that does good custom work that can build me exactly what I want?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Help w/ AR

You don't need to be spending $2500 on a .223 AR to get precision setup.

First of all, a basic lower receiver like the one pictured, even including a match trigger, will run you about $500. So you're spending $2k for the upper, which is ridiculous. You can get a solid match-grade upper for $1k including the handguard. Here's a good example:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410...10%20vtrx13.htm

A few notes on ARs:
- Piston systems are interesting but not necessary for reliability for 99.99% of people
- You can get adjustable LOP with any collapsable carbine stock
- You don't get adjustable cheek rests on ARs because it interferes with the charging handle. You change the height of the optic mount instead.
- ARs are very modular and you can easily change parts to suit yourself, so there's not a big advantage to buying a complete rifle.

For shooting coyotes? That's kinda overkill.

5o5kes.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting coyotes? That's kinda overkill.

5o5kes.jpg
</div></div>

Tell everyone else on here who has spent thousands on their gear that it's "overkill" and you'll likely get laughed at.

Buy once, cry once. If the OP wants a Cadillac, don't try to sell him a Kia. If you want to mount a Counter Sniper on top of a single shot .22LR and that works for you, fine...but don't try to talk someone else into it and say that anything else is "overkill."

Did I 'NEED' the rifle you see in my signature below? Hell no and it would've been much cheaper had I gone with something different...but it's what I 'wanted'.

The OP stated a need, not a want. I'm glad you like your rifle so much but it's laughable to suggest that there's only one answer for everyone's needs. Even in the "buy once, cry once" category there are many good options. For someone new to the AR market it makes sense to give them some sense that there are a range of solutions for what they're trying to do. The OP can do his own homework from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting coyotes? That's kinda overkill.
</div></div>

Never heard anyone say a .223 was overkill for coyotes before. What do you recommend, a blow gun?

Guys, I know that the possibilities for the AR platform are endless. It's rather overwhelming for someone who is new to the game. That's actually one of the things that is attractive to me about the Les Baer. It's a turnkey package from a reputable shop with an accuracy guarantee that implies quality.

I have enough rifles already. This is not a need. It's strictly a want. I like the idea of having a very accurate rifle that is pleasure to shoot at the range all day. The Les Bear seems to fit the bill. I may take it into the field and I may not. Either way, I am interested in an AR. Just wanted to hear about some alternatives that don't require me to become a subject matter expert. I appreciate the recommendation for GAP. I have heard a lot about them (though mostly on this forum). Any other recommendations?

If you are looking at .223 or 5.56 I'd look strongly at Noveske, Bravo Company USA, Larue, Centurion arms, and High Caliber sales.

Ar's are cool where you can pretty much pick exactly what you want it for. I have 4. A 10.5" LMT SBR, 2 16" Colt 6920's, and a 16" Noveske Recce or Recon it is their Stainless Steel Barrel.

They all serve different roles. The 10.5" is for when we are deploying out of cars a lot. The 16" 6920's are for all around use. The Noveske Recon is MY version of an Mk12/RECCEE rifle or a MK12ish build: Bi-pod, Geissselle SSA trigger, Nice glass ( sold my NF 2.5-10, but will get another).

Decide what you want the AR to do. If you want to put a scope on it buy an AR with a real good barrel (High Caliber's Mk12, or Noveske SS) and get the best ammo you can run through it for that purpose.

Have fun. Now if you want a .308 the two that I have seen run are the Larue OBR and the GAP 10, I don't think either is a bad decision.

If you're wanting a gas piston rifle, take a look at the POF P415. I own the P308 with a 20" barrel and I've been nothing but happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ball_istic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting coyotes? That's kinda overkill.
</div></div>

Never heard anyone say a .223 was overkill for coyotes before. What do you recommend, a blow gun?</div></div>

I was referring to the GAP-10, which is .308.

I thought it was worth noting that for shooting paper targets and coyotes, you can get essentially the same performance as the Les Baer while saving $1000 that you can put towards a nice optic. But buy whatever you want, obviously. It's your money to spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ball_istic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting coyotes? That's kinda overkill.
</div></div>

Never heard anyone say a .223 was overkill for coyotes before. What do you recommend, a blow gun?</div></div>

I was referring to the GAP-10, which is .308.

I thought it was worth noting that for shooting paper targets and coyotes, you can get essentially the same performance as the Les Baer while saving $1000 that you can put towards a nice optic. But buy whatever you want, obviously. It's your money to spend. </div></div>

Actually, the GAP-10 is configured in other calibers such as .260 but I agree that a .308 for coyotes would be overkill but I'll be using one when I start next month. LoL

The LMT AR-15 wouldn't be a bad choice either, allowing for a budget allowance of about $1000 for a good optic.

If your primary "want" is an accurate AR I would look at either Noveske or LaRue. Both are extremely accurate rifle makers with excellent barrels.

Take a look at the Rock Rivers, they are extremely accurate and you can get what you want for way less than 2500.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d90king</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your primary "want" is an accurate AR I would look at either Noveske or LaRue. Both are extremely accurate rifle makers with excellent barrels. </div></div>

I agree with this.
There are also several other options for uppers Centurion and BCM just to name a couple.

And to the OP, accuracy and piston do not come hand in hand. There are many reasons to stick with DI, parts standardization/availability and accuracy are some of the big ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d90king</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your primary "want" is an accurate AR I would look at either Noveske or LaRue. Both are extremely accurate rifle makers with excellent barrels. </div></div>

I agree with this.
There are also several other options for uppers Centurion and BCM just to name a couple.

And to the OP, accuracy and piston do not come hand in hand. There are many reasons to stick with DI, parts standardization/availability and accuracy are some of the big ones. </div></div>

Please, don't start the piston vs DI accuracy claims because both are known to be sub moa. The availability of parts, however, certainly makes the DI platform a little more attractive when every piston rifle is made with proprietary parts that may or may not be available if or when something breaks. It's something I've been concerned with on numerous occasions so it's a good idea to have a couple of spare parts kits on hand just in case.

There are so many good chioces out there...have fun picking the one you want. My AR15 has a Larue lower, Vltor upper, PRI handguard, WOA barrel and I'm very, very happy with it!

The great part about it (AR's), if you buy and try and then don't like an "aspect" of it, you can take it off, sell it, and try something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forget the aforementioned crap

</div></div>

because Adams arms and BCM are bush-league, sub standard crap. Right?

Actually, I was referring to the guy who commented after you...capt. "obvious", and not about BCM. I happen to like BCM and wouldn't mind having one of their ARs.

Do some more research,

IMHO, the piston drives is a new found fad. I dont think it is something you should limit yourself to for your first build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I was referring to the guy who commented after you...capt. "obvious", and not about BCM. I happen to like BCM and wouldn't mind having one of their ARs. </div></div>
I would also agree on a BCM rifle as being a great product. If you want a good coyote rig you can get a great rifle for under $1500 if you build it yourself. WOA barrel or even Better NOveske. Stay away from anything aftermarket piston. If you must have piston then go with what was already talked about, POF!!!

since i don't have anything better to today...

i'd say stay away from les baer's ARs. ime, they are accurate, but not very reliable. mostly, they seem to make decisions that enhance accuracy at the expense of reliability.

i don't think they know much about IPSC either... i don't recall ever seeing a gun set up like that at any match i've been to. and when you lead with statements like this"
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our IPSC Action Model is an outstanding competition model with all the best features including a unique integral compensator which totally eliminates the unattractive, permanently mounted muzzle breaks used by most other companies. Not only is our integrated compensator the cleanest looking unit on the market, it's also the most effective, almost completely eliminating recoil and muzzle rise. </div></div>
it makes you question everything they say. Seriously, they're implying "permanently mounted muzzle brakes" (which is false anyway) are bad and proposing you use an integrally mounted one instead? uhh, hello?

claiming their tiny compensator is the most effective is pretty ballsy or ignorant.

I've used Compass Lake and White oak to do custom stainless barrel work and build uppers for me in the past and been very happy with the work from both. If i were looking for reasonably accurate CMV barrels, i'd look to noveske, globaltactical, BCM, etc. many of those will come with a matching bolt. the rest of the gun is just legos you can put together yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I was referring to the guy who commented after you...capt. "obvious", and not about BCM. I happen to like BCM and wouldn't mind having one of their ARs. </div></div>
I would also agree on a BCM rifle as being a great product. If you want a good coyote rig you can get a great rifle for under $1500 if you build it yourself. WOA barrel or even Better NOveske. Stay away from anything aftermarket piston. If you must have piston then go with what was already talked about, POF!!! </div></div>

Yes...I am very happy with POF...very reliable and accurate too! I have one in 308 that is piston drive .

Ball_istic, Les Baer makes some exceedingly accurate rifles, for range and a little coyote duty, I would seriously look at their Super Varmint Model in 264LBC. With regards to gas versus piston, the coated barrel and adjustable buttstock, well those are all personal preferences. I would definitely consider any of their fine rifles. If you are looking for a custom AR builder, as already mentioned contact Scott at Specialized Dynamics, a Hide sponsor and builder of some fine uppers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d90king</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your primary "want" is an accurate AR I would look at either Noveske or LaRue. Both are extremely accurate rifle makers with excellent barrels. </div></div>

I agree with this.

And to the OP, accuracy and piston do not come hand in hand. There are many reasons to stick with DI, parts standardization/availability and accuracy are some of the big ones. </div></div>

Yes, I would definitely add Centurion to the list in the "accurate" department... I haven't seen enough precision BCM rigs and their results to recommend them though. Most BCM's I see are built more as training rigs etc... BCM does make great rifles though...

I agree with this.

Yeah. What he said. Because Piston guns are inferior to DI. What a shame that a Sub MOA or even Half MOA piston gun just simply isn't accurate enough to do what you need it to do... Just saying...

Well heck - the only things you need then are a match barrel, good trigger and glass. Everything else is window dressing. You can easily build your own exactly the way you want to - no builder will give you what you want at a rpice that you can easily afford. I've built 3 so far - they all shoot sub MOA.