• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help walk me through a Form 20 when moving to a new state

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
First off, I didn’t do my research before moving to a new state so keep the roasting to a minimal. My current situation is I moved to a new state where suppressors are legal. I have 2 form 1 cans and a commercial can on a Trust in my original state of residence. I realize I should do a Form 20 because of my permanent residence change. So am
I technically not able to bring my suppressors down until approval of the Form 20?

I wanted to buy a new TBAC this week. Aside from amending my trust with my new address, do I also need to wait for Form 20 approval or is that a whole separate deal? My biggest concern is whether or not amending my trust alone is enough for me to immediately purchase another can, or if the Form 20 needs approval first. As I type this, in my mind the Form 20 is irrelevant to whether I can purchase a new can ASAP and my trust amendment alone is all I need, just looking for confirmation on that.

First off, I didn’t do my research before moving to a new state so keep the roasting to a minimal. My current situation is I moved to a new state where suppressors are legal. I have 2 form 1 cans and a commercial can on a Trust in my original state of residence. I realize I should do a Form 20 because of my permanent residence change. So am
I technically not able to bring my suppressors down until approval of the Form 20?

I wanted to buy a new TBAC this week. Aside from amending my trust with my new address, do I also need to wait for Form 20 approval or is that a whole separate deal? My biggest concern is whether or not amending my trust alone is enough for me to immediately purchase another can, or if the Form 20 needs approval first. As I type this, in my mind the Form 20 is irrelevant to whether I can purchase a new can ASAP and my trust amendment alone is all I need, just looking for confirmation on that.
Double check this but I believe form 20s are only required when bringing an SBR (or something similar) across state lines.

Technically it's a 5320.20...note on the bottom of a 5320.1 for they say "Form 1" and the bottom of a 5320.4 they say "Form 4" but oddly enough on a form 5320.20 it says "Form 5320.20" - not sure why that is but fun fact.

You do not need an approved 5320.20 for a suppressor, and updating the ATF can happen after the fact.

The 5320.20 is only legally required for MGs, SBSs, and SBRs. They are not required for suppressors or AOWs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmolPP and bmicek
While there is arguement on what is actually required, I used the 5320.20, and the atf sent it back approved, so that makes things easier later on when the computer person at the atf fat fingers in the wrong serial number and things get sketchy... use the trust name not your name on the form. New and old address and when you are moving them. Like othets have said, it can be done afterwards, but I did it in advance of the move. In all cases they returned the approved form in 2 to 3 weeks.

Reactions: SmolPP and bmicek