• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes HELP.. want to pick a scope for my dad's m&p 15-22

Iron55

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
Texas, United States
Like the title says, I want to pick a scope for my dad for father's day. Yeah I know it's a little late, but oh well. My price range is up to about $200. I know a little bit about optics, but would appreciate any suggestions from the pros (you guys) on what would be a wise and fun investment. He pretty much just plays around with it, but seems to want some magnification unlike most red dots. Anyway, thanks for any help in advance, and I hope I posted in the right part of the forum.

Re: HELP.. want to pick a scope for my dad's m&p 15-22

Any thoughts on a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte?

If he doesn't need turrets or bdc reticle I would recommend the leupold VX-1 2-7x28 .22 rimfire scope, that rifle is really light weight and that scope is also very light weight and glass is very nice, if he likes mil dot reticles you can probably get a center point from walmart ( I know I'll get flamed for this one ), I had one on a Remington 597 .22 LR, mine was a 3-9x40 and it was ok for $50 with flip up caps and rings included.

Nikon makes a BDC reticle scope, 3X-9X, 22lr, for around $140.
I have one on my 15/22, it works great !

I'm kind of debating between that Primary Arms, and the Vortex one now. What do you guys know about them as far as pros and cons?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon makes a BDC reticle scope, 3X-9X, 22lr, for around $140.
I have one on my 15/22, it works great ! </div></div>

The Nikon Prostaff line has the rimfire 3x9 with the BDC200 on it. I also have one on my Savage BTVS and so far I've got no complaints. Its a great package for the money.

Can't comment on the Primary Arms..... Have never seen or used one. I do have an Eotech red dot which has a 1 MOA dot. I tried that on my 15-22 for awhile, but quickly became bored with it. It worked well enough, but I just didn't care for the dot when plinking at small targets. Just personal opinion there.

I really like the Vortex Viper 2-7. It gives me the option to zoom in or out and makes plinking with a .22 more fun. Another plus is that older eyes like a little magnification even for 50 yd shots at the range.

Strictly just my opinion, but if Dad just likes to play around and plink at this and that, I'd say he'd like the Viper over a red dot.

Don't forget about buying a good mount too. I'm running a GG&G FLT quick detach mount with delrin 1" inserts. With the flip of the lever the scope mounts or comes off to use the sights.