• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help wanted

Kinsman09

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Mt
I run a remington LTR .308 with a Bushnell tact. 3-12x42. I' ve shot out to 700 yds with it. My old eyes can't see the splash most of the time. I need better glass. I have 1500 to spend. I'm looking at the Steiner 4-16x50 G2 retical (?) And the new Bushnell 3-12x44(?) LRHS. I would like BETTER glass (old eyes). I like ffp, mil/mill, weight is bad, unless it is much better glass. I hunt with this platform and like what the bush is selling but, I don't know if the glass is going to cut it and the bush I shoot now has real mushy turrets. Please chime in with your opinions. I've looked through a couple of good scopes, steiner, s&b, ziess but have not been able to compare.
Thanks

I had the same optic on a 308 and traded up to a 3.5-21x50 Bushy (HDMR) going from the 30mm tube to a 34mm and 42mm obj to the 50mm helped a lot in the light gathering dept. Clearly the greater variable magnification range also helps the ole' eyes when reaching out. Very little chromatic aberration at 21x and a solid 3.25" of eye relief through the magnification range. I believe EuroOptic has them at $900 right now. Seekins rings are a great mounting platform at $125. Good luck friend!

The Bushy DMRs are great scopes for the money, only real downside is they are on the heavy side.

A Leupold Mk 6 3-18x would be perfect, though you'd probably be looking for a used one around $1500, or maybe find a demo. Stellar glass, warranty, very light and compact for its power range.

For top shelf glass at around $1500, it is hard to top IOR. They have a tarnished reputation with the older models, but the 3.5-18x has had as good a track record most others out here. They aren't super light either though. Glass is super.

Another to consider is Sightron SIII FFP 6-24x50. Again, probably best glass in its price point, I haven't heard of anyone unsatisfied with the clarity and tracking of the SIII line, especially for the money.

The Steiner 4-16 amazing glass. Easily the equal of my S&B and premiers.

Thanks, Dave. How is the tracking & turrets? My bushnell is real mushy & I've read some complaints on the steiner turrets.

i like the hdmr. it has way better glass than my elite tactical 2.5-16. the hdmr is clear all the way to 21 power. it is big but at 900 dollars from a tremor 2 hdmr from euro optic. i would buy another right now if i had the money. the weaver 4-20 and 3-15 scopes i am impressed with too. i have the 3-15 edmr and it is not really big. pretty good glass. about like a mark 4 or burris xtr. i think the hdmr has better glass than all the scopes i mentioned.

My copy of the Steiner 4-16 had excellent tracking and the turrets were always such that I knew exactly where I was at all times. Not mushy at all.

I do prefer the turrets on the newer Steiners though... but they're twice the price.

For your budget, the Steiner will be amazing. As for the DMRs, not sure if the newer ones are awesome or anything, but I've looked through the original DMRs and I was def not impressed with the glass. The reticle is awesome for sure, but the glass was not so great for me.

I run a remington LTR .308 with a Bushnell tact. 3-12x42. I' ve shot out to 700 yds with it. My old eyes can't see the splash most of the time. I need better glass. I have 1500 to spend. I'm looking at the Steiner 4-16x50 G2 retical (?) And the new Bushnell 3-12x44(?) LRHS. I would like BETTER glass (old eyes). I like ffp, mil/mill, weight is bad, unless it is much better glass. I hunt with this platform and like what the bush is selling but, I don't know if the glass is going to cut it and the bush I shoot now has real mushy turrets. Please chime in with your opinions. I've looked through a couple of good scopes, steiner, s&b, ziess but have not been able to compare.
Thanks

Montana is a big state, not sure where you are but we Grand Reopen April 28 and I would be happy to have you come by and look at all kinds of glass outside to help you make your decision.

Scott

Dave, thanks for the extra information. Thanks to all for their input. Scott, I will look you up, did not know you had a store in Mt. Thought it was just internet.

The steiner 4-16 has really good glass!!! Turrets are a little mushy but nothing like the bushy you have now. Only other downside is the size and weight. In my opinion for the money there isn't a better value available.