• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help, which scope mount/rings?

satta3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019
Don’t blast me on this please. I am very new to long range shooting and am reading and learning as much as I have time for. I just ordered a Thompson Center Performance Center 6.5 a few days ago. I have an Athlon Ares BTR that I will be mounting. Primarily I will be shooting around 500-800 yards, but would like the capability to go up to 1000 at times. I have read a lot about mounts vs rings and would like to get some comments from some of you guys. I am open to suggestions, but can’t afford or justify a Spuhr mount at this time. I have been looking at the American Defense Recon and the Samson DMR mounts. Thoughts? What do you recommend? Should I just get some Seekins rings and be done? Also, the TC rifle has a 20moa rail, so I don’t think I will need any offset considering my distance goals, but welcome suggestions.

You just need a set of rings. 1000 yards is no longer considered LR. So, your current rail and a set of rings will do the job. Lots of good choices on rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get some Seekins and don’t look back. They pop up all the time in the PX, would be a good way to get some on a budget.

Another vote for Seekins rings, they are high quality rings at a reasonable price and I prefer the way they mount to the rail.
Flush snagless fit with no nut sticking out.

Reactions: Novak77
I also saw a set of 34mm badger in the PX for 100 bucks. That’s a steal. Doesn’t get any better than badger. Not sure what height tho

I've done a good amount of shooting out to 1k (and further) using Badger rings. I doubt you'd have any issues using Seekins rings either. Mounts are great, but like the others said you'll be just fine using rings at that distance.

What do you guys think about the mounts that I mentioned? Are there any others that you recommend?

What do you guys think about the mounts that I mentioned? Are there any others that you recommend?

The one I have used and still have that you listed are ADM but they are cantilever QD mounts on AR's they make good mounts in my opinion.
You might also want to check out ZRO DELTA.

Don't overthink this stuff. Rings will either be reliable or not. Seekins rings are a good start. Your hurdles as a new shooter won't be the equipment you have currently chosen, it will be you and the ammo you shoot. Overtime your gear is going to change. Get what's good and move on.

Like the others have said, the Seekins (or Vortex PMR, which are the same) are excellent scope rings and will serve you well. I've had them on several rifles/scopes and they have always been reliable and done exactly what I needed them to do. Plus, they're very affordable.

You guys mention Seekins/Vortex being reliable for mostly up to 1k? Aren’t they as good past that distances? How about 1 mile or 2000 yards?

I understand a joke and it’s all cool. However my question was very legitimate in the light of the previous answers to this post. Expertise is appreciated and always this a good place to learn things.

I moved over to MPA, but I have used and still use Burris Signature, EGW, and Vortex. The Burris use shims, are a pain to set up correct (I mean correct, not just get working), use odd torque specs, and never move once setup. You can actually do some fun stuff with them like get your turret on Zero | Zero at 300 yards. The EGW needed minimal lapping and have been great. The Vortex are ok.

I understand a joke and it’s all cool. However my question was very legitimate in the light of the previous answers to this post. Expertise is appreciated and always this a good place to learn things.

I have used several pairs of Seekins/Vortex rings on a variety of scopes and rifles over the years, shooting distances from 10y - > 1mi, and they have always worked 100%.

Appreciate it. I was afraid I missed something learning about rings and optics set up for long rage....which by the way it appears somewhat changes it’s accepted upon definition the past few years when so many are getting into attempting longer distance shoots. I remember when I started 1000 yards was really a long distance and very little knowledge was available in the cyberspace.

The distance at which you are shooting won't change anything in regards to the rings you choose.

Im sure there were guys running Seekins or Vortex PMR rings at the King of Two Mile.

The part that you should be concerned about is whether or not they hold your scope where you want it without any movement.

The one I have used and still have that you listed are ADM but they are cantilever QD mounts on AR's they make good mounts in my opinion.
You might also want to check out ZRO DELTA.

I was looking at the mounts that are not cantilevered. The have some zero offset models.

Doing a little more research. What do you guys think about the Badger Ordnance Max-50’s and also the Accu-Tac HSR-300’s?

Thanks for all the comments so far.

The OP's question related to quality not distance. A lot of scopes designed for long distance will get you out to 1,000 yards and more with standard rings, if they don't you can get a scope base that adds 20 MOA or more elevation to get your scope dialed to longer distances. There are also scope rings that have a built-in elevation too.