• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP: Why is factory ammo loaded longer than my mags?

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
I bought a KRG Chassis that uses standard 3.715" AI/Alpha/Accurate mags. I bought a handful of different 338 Lapua ammo to try: Norma PH, FGMM, HSM, and Herters. The Herters brass is shit, haven't tried the HSM yet but the reviews are shit on that too so shall see.

That aside, I noticed on both of the FGMM and Norma PH 300 gr SMK factory loaded ammo that these are loaded too long to fit in a standard AI 3.715. They are loaded right around 3.715-3.730 (obviously 3.715 is OD of the mag so a round loaded to 3.715" won't fit).

I sent Federal an e-mail asking them if I am safe to seat the ammunition a couple hundredths of an inch so that they will fit in my magazine and of course their reply was that they didn't want me to alter any factory specifications (I expected this answer). They offered to pay to have it shipped back to them so they could examine the ammunition but I told them that was pointless as ALL FGMM 338 ammo and Norma ammo I have seen is loaded beyond standard mag length.

So I guess my options are:
1) Have the chassis inletted to use Accurate 3.775" or CIP 3.850" magazines. This is obviously very expensive.
2) Press the ammo down a few hundredths to max length while still fitting in my magazines.
3) Single shot this stuff and then load my own rounds in the brass to fit (I have shot these single shot with exceptional accuracy, just a huge hassle).

Ultimately my question is: Is this normal?

I have never had factory ammo be too long for my mags before. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It was explained to me on another "Site" that there are no actual "set" standards for OAL from manufacturer to manufacturer , and I would be more concerned about case length . If case length is good , you can press them down to fit your mag , or single-feed them .
Since I'm a M-N shooter , this is a very standard problem in our world , and I ask the same question regarding "short rounds" and the safety issue . I have probably "pressed down" over a thousand rounds of 7N1 & X-Match to 3.012 / 3.015 for "fit" to my barrel lead-in .