• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help! Wilson seater, 115gr dtacs, 243 win comparator/seating problem

InkedIan

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2007
Va
Ok, yesterday I loaded some ammo for pressure testing to start load development. I used a case I modified and a hornady bullet comparator to find the oal off the ogive just touching the lands. I found it to be 2.298 so I adjust my wilson seating die to seat my first cartridge at this length and I begin loading. I check the length of every cartridge as i'm going and on the 4th one I get 2.290 and im thinking wth.... Well this happens a few more times as I go with the lengths varying between 2.3 and 2.285. So to even them out I run them through the die again, but the differences stay the same to the same cartridges. At this point im very confused so i take a silver sharpie and color the cartridges/bullets with biggest differences and load them into my rifle and they all seem to be touching the lands fairly consistently. It's consistently inconsistent... Can anyone help explain this problem for me? My caliper is on point so it's not that. I'm using 115gr dtacs, wilson ss seater die, hornady bullet/cartridge comparator... Am I missing something?

I assume your neck tension is fairly close, primers are seated at least flush. Check the stem on the seating die, make sure it is not seating on the tip of the bullet. Davidson Ogive tool might give you better readings.

Well I called Wilson and they said it's actually a common problem... It's a combination of too much neck tension and the bullet stem slightly cutting into the bullet because of hard seating. They said if I send them the seater, cases, and some bullets they would contour the bullet stem for my bullet and that I would need a new expander ball for my sizing die to lighten up on the neck tension. Wilson seems to have some great customer service!

look at redding s type sizing dies, control neck tention by chaning neck bushing diameter and nt over working the brass with a expander ball.