• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with 280ai barrel contour

Which barrel contour?

• bartlein #3

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • bartlein #3b

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

JLuna575

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2017
Hey guys,

I am looking for advice on a barrel contour for a 280 AI hunting rifle. I plan to build a 22" rifle for hunting and casual target shooting up to 1000 yards. The rifle will be shot suppressed 100% of the time. I am torn between bartlein #3 and #3b contours. I am not interested in carbon fiber barrels.

My goal is to build a rifle that is comfortable to shoot and can be used on mountain hunts. I use a 20" light palma 6.5 creedmoor rifle on NM mountain hunts without any issues.

#3 pros: lighter weight
#3 cons: bushing die needed for 5/8x24 thread adapter

#3b pros: can be threaded 5/8x24
#3b cons: heavier weight

I am surprised none of the custom barrel makers have latched onto a suppressed hunter contour for this exact reason. Something in the 2-2B profile range with a flare back to 0.75 near the muzzle. I know Ruger does this with the 450 bushmaster ranch rifle.

I am surprised none of the custom barrel makers have latched onto a suppressed hunter contour for this exact reason. Something in the 2-2B profile range with a flare back to 0.75 near the muzzle. I know Ruger does this with the 450 bushmaster ranch rifle.
Quite honestly so am I.

Reactions: JLuna575
Quite honestly so am I.
The only issue I see is barrel length as would would be stuck in a fairly narrow barrel length range, but I would think you could make it work for the 20-22" range that would be popular for the lightweight hunter crowd. 24" would be the other popular length, but I think it would still sell.

Reactions: JLuna575
I thought all of the predator/ranch rifles flared up for the muzzle threads.

Hey guys,

I am looking for advice on a barrel contour for a 280 AI hunting rifle. I plan to build a 22" rifle for hunting and casual target shooting up to 1000 yards. The rifle will be shot suppressed 100% of the time. I am torn between bartlein #3 and #3b contours. I am not interested in carbon fiber barrels.

My goal is to build a rifle that is comfortable to shoot and can be used on mountain hunts. I use a 20" light palma 6.5 creedmoor rifle on NM mountain hunts without any issues.

#3 pros: lighter weight
#3 cons: bushing die needed for 5/8x24 thread adapter

#3b pros: can be threaded 5/8x24
#3b cons: heavier weight
I like a 24" bbl on an AI build, and either contour would be more than adequate.

i have a 24inch on mine a light number 3 from hawkhill.

no brake or can mine was built for sheep and mountain hunting, i wouldn't suppress the gun myself.

mine is 8lbs something all up with scope and bipod, recoil is manageable and i love it wouldn't change a thing