• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with 308 load with varget

millertime2

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Illinois, USA
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me using Berger 168 hybrid targets with varget I've loaded 10 with 41.5 gr and 10 @ 42.1 gr both right on the lands. Are there any other combinations I should load up to try that others have been successful with? Kind of a noob for precision loads. Thanks in advance for any advice

I have no experience with the Bergers but I get great results with 43.7gr of Varget using 168 SMKs, 168 Hornady Match BTHP or 168 A-Max.

I typically seat the A-Max to 2.880" and the BTHP's to 2.830"

Last edited:
Try doing an OCW test. If you are unfamiliar with this concept, here is a link. OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

When I did this test with 168 SMK's, I came up with 44.4gr. But anywhere from 44 - 44.5 grains shot very well. I also got very good results with 46 grains, again with 168 gr. Sierra Match Kings (SMK). Warning though, 46 grains with the SMK is Hodgdon's max load, so work up to this charge weight and look for pressure signs.

What brass are you using? Pretty significant difference in case capacity and recommended charges between say Winchester and Lapua. Either way, your loads seem pretty mild, I'd work up.

No experience with the. 168 Bergers, but like other have said above, SMK's shoot good in my rifles around 43.5-44gr. I'm using. Lapua brass. Think you could up it 3% for Winchester. With 175's I use right around 43.0 gr, typically between 42.8-43.1, depending which gun, all usually .010-.015 off the lands. My 185 Juggs for f-class, which is fairly hot but no pressure signs is 43.5gr, again in Lapua brass.

Mention the above 175 and 185 loads for reference. Think you have plenty of room to work up--just do it slowly. You should find a noted sweet spot.

These I loaded in new lapua brass, I was worried to take the charge higher the Berger book says 42.5 max with varget but maybe I should try a few a little higher. I will be moving to some other brass some Winchester, PMC, Nosler and federal would there be any concerns with those? The rifle is a savage 10fpc-k 24" barrel. I do have some 175 nosler custom comps are those basically the same as smk's. I shot some bergers the other day I had loaded at 41.5gr unfortunately I didn't have my chrony with me but was pretty happy with the results this was the first time I had shot at six hundred yards and actually hit what i was aiming for. You always read about people doing this but I never thought I could do this. I just guessed at the velocity 2650 in my calculations which gave me 4.6 mils of come up. This was really close. Using Br2 primers also in the lapua brass.

Last edited:
45 grains in winchester brass with a 168gr amax, nosler, sierra or Hornady bthp works for me and fairly fast, 2650 fps out of a 20" barrel.

I don't have 168's, but I shoot the 175's over 45 grains of varget in a win case. The one thing I'll tell you that made a huge difference was jamming them .010" into the lands. I was shooting about 2" groups from .010" off the lands to .130" off and jammed them .010" and shot a half inch group last weekend.

about 45 grains on a 168 is where you need to be. Somewhere between 44-45

Well I have a whole mess of loads ready so I am sure I'll get some good data. Is there any particular practice I should follow? Three shot groups or five? Clean between loads? 100 yards I'm guessing. Thanks for all the help.

44.1 gr of imr4064 with 168 amax in hornady brass .010 off the lands got me just under 1" 5 shot group at 200 yards.

I'm using the 168 Hybrids out of a 27" barrel with H4895. I'm using 43.0 gr with the bullet seated at .015" off the lands, which is giving me right at 2820 fps with very solid ES. Although you can push the 168 Hybrid pretty hard due to the short bearing surface, there's really no need to do so, load for accuracy and let the BC do the rest. I was originally pushing these right at 2900 fps and they shot very well, even though slightly overpressure. However, I backed off to the next lower node because there really wasn't all that much extra gain, and I'm certain my brass life will be much better. At 2820 fps, the 168 Hybrid load is very close in performance to my 185 Juggernaut load out of a 30" barrel at 2770 fps.

I did find that the meplats on the lots I have are pretty large and not as uniform as other Berger bullets I use. I've started length sorting and pointing and it makes a noticeable difference, even at ranges of only 300 yd. Although I suspect anywhere between .010" and .020" off the lands will work, because it's a Hybrid you should do a seating depth test in your rifle once you optimize the powder charge.

I don't load 168's but I load 178 amax and in a savage with 24" barrel 1:10 twist I'm getting an average of 2714fps in a win case with cci 200 primer and 44gr Varget. .005 off lands. Shoots 1/2moa all day at 100 meters and just over 1/2@300meters

Thanks guys for the info I'll update you on the results. I measured every round and it seemed like the bergers were a little more inconsistent measuring from the base of the case to the ogive with the hornady comparator. We're only talking about 3 thousands at the most but for what they cost I thought they would be closer maybe it's my die or something I'm doing wrong but the nosler custom comps were right on within a thousandth.

OCW testing has my vote. I've had sub moa groups using 43g of varget under 168 custom comps in my sig 716. I changed the birdcage for an Effin-A compensator and had to lessen the charge 1 1/2 grains before it was sub-moa again. It groups pretty well out to 700 yards for being a plain 16" barrel. I'll share a bunch of reloading tags/ binder sheets, targets, and ammo box stickers to help keep track of charges and historical data when I get home tomorrow. I'll post a pic of the groups as well- because it didn't happen unless there are pictures.