• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with 30mm scope mount for AR-15

At The Ready

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
Hello All,

I am new to the precision game, coming from a USMC and SWAT background in combat shooting and close range engagement. I built a precision AR-15 from the ground up on a modest budget and have produced a gun that I have been able to achieve sub .5 MOA groups consistently at 100yds. Currently, I have a Millett 4-16 in budget 30mm rings and have found the need to upgrade to achieve shots out to 1000yds. I recently ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2c and want advice on how to mount it while maximizing the gun and optic's potential. I have researched the Larue QD mount and Vortex 30mm rings but would like input from someone who has more experience in this arena. Money is always tight as a LEO but I am patient and want to do this right the first time, with the "Buy once, Cry once" mentality. Any input or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

Can not go wrong with anything from Larue, I have three mounts from American Defense MFG. Love my 20 MOA extended RECON mount on my LR AR.G. Love my 20 MOA extended RECON mount on my LR AR.

LaRue products are excellent! For rings Seekins is unbeatable. Rings/mount are/is an integral part of your optical system. Buy the best.

I have several LaRue product. I have their mounts on every long rifle I own. While people might not like Mark LaRue personally, I think everyone will agree his products are top notch.

How is the rifle going to be used? Is this a service rifle or a range gun? Do you need QD? Or will a good set of rings suffice?

check out the aadmount one piece mounts very very nice if you don't need qd

One piece mounts do have some benefits. Obviously mounts like the Spuhr are impressive, but expensive and heavy. When you get under $100, I have seen some changes in zero and would not recommend them.

As for QD, unless you plan to hot swap optics in the field, it is useless. With the same torque settings and a quality one piece mount, I have had perfect zeros on the mounts I use while not being able to replicate that consistently on QD set-ups, including LaRue. I can change an optic at the range or on the bench in about 2 minutes. I use the Warne and or JP one piece mounts. Slightly different approaches, but both rock solid and all I will use in one piece mounts.

Vortex rings (made by Seekins) are very good and I would not hesitate to recommend them or the Seekins branded rings. The Burris XTR rings are also very good rings for your application.

As for QD, unless you plan to hot swap optics in the field, it is useless. With the same torque settings and a quality one piece mount, I have had perfect zeros on the mounts I use while not being able to replicate that consistently on QD set-ups, including LaRue. I can change an optic at the range or on the bench in about 2 minutes. I use the Warne and or JP one piece mounts. Slightly different approaches, but both rock solid and all I will use in one piece mounts.

It depends on the application, but to say they are useless is pretty bold. There are many application where the qd is a great feature.

One piece mounts do have some benefits. Obviously mounts like the Spuhr are impressive, but expensive and heavy. When you get under $100, I have seen some changes in zero and would not recommend them.

Vortex rings (made by Seekins) are very good and I would not hesitate to recommend them or the Seekins branded rings. The Burris XTR rings are also very good rings for your application.

It depends on the application, but to say they are useless is pretty bold. There are many applications where the qd is a great feature.

I like Nightforce Ultralite Unimounts. I run them on a couple of my AR's they have a 20moa taper that will help you in your goal of reaching out to 1000 yards plus they don't weigh all that much.

Not bold at all. Except for a hot swap, where is a QD mount for an AR a "great" feature?

Everyone knows that QD mounts aren't a necessity but the convenience of a quality QD mount is undeniable. I'm not familiar with the term hot swap. What does it mean? Sounds like a theme for a swingers party.

Everyone knows that QD mounts aren't a necessity but the convenience of a quality QD mount is undeniable. I'm not familiar with the term hot swap. What does it mean? Sounds like a theme for a swingers party.

Hot Swap? Taking off one optic (because it failed, you need a different optic set up, etc.) and putting on another (or adding NV) as an immediate action. I have no idea if that is common use or not, but there are several guys I know that use that term. One, a sniper for a local PD, runs a 1-4 on his AR-10, but keeps a 4-16 in his go bag. Both are on LaRue QD mounts. If you go to a match and take a spare optic, I can see the same scenario, maybe even under the clock.

If I am going to the range or switching optics on the bench, I just can't see the benefit of 20 seconds versus 90 seconds for the added weight, snag points and cost of a "QD" mount. To me, the QD sling is a good idea. QD suppressor mounts and optics mounts, for most people are a waste of $. However, in the situations for which they are necessary, sure, I see the value.

I testfire at least one, if not 5 or 6 uppers weekly, never saw the need for a QD mount. I pop the mounted optic on the upper, shoot 40 to 100 rounds, take it off and done. Since they are all built on the same brand of reciever, I get less than 1MOA shift even going from receiver to receiver. No sweat, and more repeatable than the QD mount I tried last year.

Not bold at all. Except for a hot swap, where is a QD mount for an AR a "great" feature?

I'm in no way trying to make this a pissing contest, just want to be clear. But it really depends on the end use for the weapon system. For example in the law enforcement and military world we will switch out day optic for night optics. This is just one example, there are more such as optics failing in combat. On the civilian side it allows you to put extra money in a high quality optic and be able to use one optic on several firearms instead of buying multiple scopes, ring and base sets.

For both the civilian and government worlds it allows you to carry the scope with you in your carry on if you fly with your gun. This way you know your scope is not getting banged around (even if its in a good weapon case) in the cargo hold. It has more benifits than not.

When I first built my sniper weapon system I built it with the standard rings, but after several years and when I upgraded my scope I also upgraded to the QD system. If I had the knowledge I have now back then I would have done it the first time. Why limit yourself. But it depends on what you will be and what you could possibly be using the weapon for.

Final thought. The benefits and versatility are for have the QD feature vs not. Just my feeling on the matter based on my experience in the L.E., government and civilian world .

I'm in no way trying to make this a pissing contest, just want to be clear. But it really depends on the end use for the weapon system. For example in the law enforcement and military world we will switch out day optic for night optics. This is just one example, there are more such as optics failing in combat. On the civilian side it allows you to put extra money in a high quality optic and be able to use one optic on several firearms instead of buying multiple scopes, ring and base sets.

For both the civilian and government worlds it allows you to carry the scope with you in your carry on if you fly with your gun. This way you know your scope is not getting banged around (even if its in a good weapon case) in the cargo hold. It has more benifits than not.

When I first built my sniper weapon system I built it with the standard rings, but after several years and when I upgraded my scope I also upgraded to the QD system. If I had the knowledge I have now back then I would have done it the first time. Why limit yourself. But it depends on what you will be and what you could possibly be using the weapon for.

Final thought. The benefits and versatility are for have the QD feature vs not. Just my feeling on the matter based on my experience in the L.E., government and civilian world .

I understand your points, and I am trying to be clear as well. I do have quality optics that are in one piece mounts, not QD and not standard rings, that I swap between rifles regularly. To change a Warne SKEL mounted optic from one rifle to the other literally takes 90 seconds, the JP mounted optics take about 2 minutes. Those mounts weigh less, are robust and have less snag potential. All the versatility and benefits, plus more, for less coin. Flying, could do the same thing.

Adding NV in front of a scope, sure I can see that. In battle where you have a spare optic, sure I can see that. But standard rings are not the same as a one piece mount that requires a tool to remove but still has (and in most cases better) RTZ than the QD mounts. My night vision monocular for my night rifle is on a QD mount, so the benefit is not lost. But I will still say that for the VAST majority of people, the feature is of no use.

I've somehow accumulated 6 AR's. So the QD La Rue mounts work well for me. I've got them with a 1.5-5X , a few Aimpoints and another mounted with a 30mm tube 10X. The 30mm mount keeps a zero nicely and is typical LRT Quality.
It's nice to be able to switch optics onto non optics guns to test loads or to simply USE them occasionally at longer ranges.

FN in MT

I use the Larue lt-111 mount and it has always returned to zero. If I need to switch something out in the field and I'm carrying all my gear I would rather not have to carry tools. The tools can get lost and ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain. But to each his own

Periodically, I would find that my QD on my ADM recon had popped during a match. I have since switched to a fix Warne Ramp mount and my results have steady gotten better. Even if you swap out the optics to a different rifle with the QD mount, you're zero will be different on that second rifle.

I would say that it depends on the qd product and how tight the levers are adjusted if they are adjustable. My PD has run qd on our patrol rifles for 8 years and never had an issue. But I set the guns up and everything was adjusted properly. I have a locking lever on my larue lt-111 and the other level cams shut and can't pop open. You get what you pay for, but nothing is perfect.

Yes when you change rifles you will need to record the new zero but it's not necessary to slip the rings. If you input the data into the scope and bring it to zero with the correct reticle your done and ready to go. The tremor 2 reticle and most horus reticles are designed so you dont have to dial.