• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with .338 Edge build

thesheepdog

Supporter
Minuteman
May 28, 2013
DFW
I am in the process of acquiring components for a .338 edge build.

My current dilemma is what action to go with.

From what I've researched, it seems the following actions will work:

CZ 550 Mag
Rem 700 Mag

I do not have the budget to purchase a Stiller, Defiant, Templar or the likes.

If I go with the CZ 550 Mag action, I will need a nice stock, so I am all ears for any suggestions that are reasonably priced.

thanks.

Built several on 700's and custom clones. They all work fine. I like the cz550 a lot but wouldnt go that direction for a custom long range rifle simply because of the lack of aftermarket support.

Are your 700's setup as repeaters? If so, how did you get them that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seekins bottom metal works fine as a repeater. A wyatts oversize mag box should work as well if you want it as an adl/bdl instead of a detachable magazine. Any other system that will feed the .338 lapua will work.

Did you have to mill your ejection port bigger?

Just try to find a long action remington that was originally a 300RUM, and run with it. That's what our original ones are made on and they work just fine. We're running Seekins bottom metal, but you can use the Wyatts internal as well.

As was said, use a 300 RUM action with Wyatts and have it throated correctly, and youll have plenty of room in the mag.

Wyatt's page says to machine the action for the extended mag box? None of you have mentioned any machining. Can someone clarify this please? Thanks.

I have a 700/Seekins combo built by Selfbowhunter. It runs flawless and shoots great. I am assuming the machining for the Wyatt's system is similar to that for the Seekins which required milling the feed port further toward the rear of the action.