• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with 5.56 build for my daughter to shoot CMP

sighting

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Long time subscriber first-time poster. I just posted my intro over at the new member section.

I have a few questions so please bear with me.

My 14y daughter has always gone shooting with me and has recently shown interest to shoot competitively in CMP / Highpower Rifle.
Especially now during COVID where she would not be able to do any of her normal team sports activities.
Like all things teenagers, I don’t want to / Can't Afford to spend an arm and a leg buying something super accurate for her.

Here is the setup I am currently put together for her from taking parts from 3 separate AR’s I have.

Main Rifle:
  • Noveske Gen3 NST 556 – I bought this for my wife about 8 or 9 years ago and it has about 230 rounds through it.
  • Barrel: 18” SS Barrel with a 1/8 twist I believe
  • Trigger: Geissele trigger with a trigger spring from JPRifles trigger spring kit (Rules limit to 4.5lb pull – my Geissele was around 3.2 and the JP spring brought it exactly to 4.5)
  • SJC TITAN Break
  • JPRifle Buffer Spring
  • Magpul PRS Gen1 stock
  • Burris AR P.E.R.P Optics Mount
  • Optics 4.5x Max -- TBD?
I can reload and purchased (a long time ago) the following bullets:
Sierra 69 Grain HPBT-Match (7”-10” TWIST BBLS Only)
Sierra MatchKing 77 Grain HPBT (7”-9” TWIST BBLS Only)
Nosler Custom Competition 77 Grain HPBT
Nosler Custom Competition 80 Grain HPBT

I am looking for advice on the setup I have so far, recommendations of things to tweak or change. I desperately need a recommendation for an optic. Any pointers on the series. Recommendation for projectiles?

Thank you again for taking the time to ever read this far

All advice would truly be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Check out the National Match forums at usrifleteams.com

The SJC Titan brake is a no-go. You can have a bare muzzle, an M16A1 flash suppressor, or M16A2 compensator.

Any of those bullets will work. The Army team shoots about the same scores with Sierra 77s as we did with 69s, but the 69s gave higher X-counts. She'll need the 80s for 600 yards.

I think Euro Optic has the Vortex Ranger 1-4.5 with quarter-minute clicks on special right now for $300.

Check with your state rifle association. The teams can often get discounts on bullets and powder for juniors. Many teams can loan all the gear she'll need.

Good luck!

first, does she want to shoot service rifle?

if so, then these comments apply. If not, skip to the end
1) You can’t use a break. You may use an A2 flash hider-or another flash hider but it has to have the same external dimensions or something.

2) the rifle itself should be okay, just make sure the handguard is compliant (sling swivel must be “fixed” and at 12.5” from the front of the magwell. It must also have picatinny rails on the entire top rail, and half of 3, 6, and 9

3) you also cannot use the PRS stock, you can use a regular adjustable stock, a fixed A1 or A2, or a magpul UBR.

4) you’ll find thatwhen using a sling, the PEPR mount doesn’t move the optic forward enough. You need a service rifle specific mount

5) a good bang for your buck scope is the Athlon Midas 1-4.5

6)for what it’s worth, you mayfind the trigger you have now is fine, but a large MBT-2S with correct weight springs are FANTASTIC

AMMO
I used the Sierra 69s at 200 and 300, then 80s at 600.
I didn’t use the 77s much, but they’ll work at 600 too.

the Noslers aren’t quite as good as the Sierras, but they’ll do fine as well. You might want to use the Nosler 80s for 600, Sierra 77s for 300, and the 69s for 200.

last thing is that if she shoots out that barrel, replace it with a 20” 1:7. I have a Krieger from CLE, but any good high quality barrel will do.

Oh, last last thing. She’ll want a good shooting coat, look at Creedmoor sports. And she’ll need a good leather or silicone service rifle sling. A spotting scope with an angled eyepiece is vital, so is a high power style tripod for it. And you’ll probably want some sort of cart to move stuff around. Again,

Reactions: Gustav7