• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with 6 Creedmoor?

fnberzerker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho, USA
Hey all,
I just recently had one of the luckiest moments of my life to date, and won a GAP 6 Creedmoor at the Snipers Hide Cup. Now comes the fun of figuring out loads and such. I've been surfing the forums and believe I have good starting points for powders, bullets to use, and charge weights, however, I can't find any specs such as case length and such.

Can anyone help?

I'll try to contact GA Precision, but I understand that they are probably pretty busy.

Thanks ahead of time!!

The Brass from Mccourt munitions is excellent, and GAP has their dies in stock as well. I recently got one as well and am working on loads as well. Let me know how yours goes!

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys, looking forward to getting some rounds loaded and getting out shooting. My only question is does anyone know the 'trim to length' for the cases? I'm resizing 6.5 creedmoor brass down to 6, and just want to make sure I don't need to trim it any.

AS Far as the recipes go, thanks a ton, I think you all just saved my a$$ a ton of time! There really isn't a whole lot of info on this caliber other than on the hide.

probably my favorite cartridge out right now, have fun, its a blast to shoot.

Not wanting to thread jack here, but how is accuracy and barrel life of 6creed when compared to 6mmbr? I'm aquiring a .308(not a fan of 308 recoil I'm a wimp) savage and am looking at turning it into a longer lasting paper puncher than a win 243...

Last edited:
I've heard many say that RL17 is crappy powder because it's apparently very sensitive to temperature swings, but I haven't had any issue with it......yet. My load of 41.2gr with 105gr. Hornady BTHP in my GAP10 has been working great so far. With summer coming, I'll get to see what happens with it in the 100 degree weather. I also gained about 150 fps by switching from H4350 to RL17. I couldn't find any H4350, is the reason I switched to RL17. If I find some crazy swings in velocity this summer, I'll switch back to H4350.....as soon as I can find it.

I usually trim my brass to the same as the 6.5 Creedmoor, which is 1.92".

Keep us posted on how she shoots.

Not wanting to thread jack here, but how is accuracy and barrel life of 6creed when compared to 6mmbr? I'm aquiring a .308(not a fan of 308 recoil I'm a wimp) savage and am looking at turning it into a longer lasting paper puncher than a win 243...

Ive heard its comparable to 6xc on accuracy..i dont know on BR.but barrel life definitely better than br 3-4k

Anybody shooting 115's? I've got a 7.5 twist bartlein and h4350 but haven't been able to get ahold of bullets. Looking to shoot either 115 dtacs/vld's or if it's a better trade off to shoot the 105 hybrids I'd have no problem going lighter. Mainly a coyote killing gun. Thanks

Anybody shooting 115's? I've got a 7.5 twist bartlein and h4350 but haven't been able to get ahold of bullets. Looking to shoot either 115 dtacs/vld's or if it's a better trade off to shoot the 105 hybrids I'd have no problem going lighter. Mainly a coyote killing gun. Thanks

Good luck finding them.let me know if you do.i also start a thread on WTB section for these bullets with no luck.. i have the same barrel on longrifles building it..ive heard tge h4350 suit the 105 beter and 115 fir slower 4831sc

Well, everything went pretty good for the first shots out of the new GAP. I was flustered due to some range issues so I wasn't shooting my best, BUT tomorrow is another day, and I am stoked to go up and shoot again. I was able to find two really tight groups despite my shooting, so I think I will move onto those, and try to fine tune. Here's what I have so far.

H4350
41.5 gr
3053-3059 fps
OAL 2.800"
105 Berger VLD match (couldn't find hybrids)
.36~ group with very little vertical spread (3 shot)

H4350
41.9 gr
Chrono didn't register
OAL 2.800"
Same bullet
.41~ group with literally about .1" vertical spread (3 shot)

I'm getting super excited. I don't know if the horizontal vs vertical spread matters much, but it sounded good!!

I'll update tomorrow, and throw some pictures up.

Sounds great and it looks like you're off to a great start. Does your range have access to 1000 yards targets? Looking forward to seeing more.

[MENTION=29897]bjay[/MENTION]- what is freebore? is that the jump to the lands? Haven't heard that term before. [MENTION=37423]Rthur[/MENTION]- is there a sweet spot for the VLD or does it like to be jammed? [MENTION=1520]Steelhead[/MENTION]- We "kind of" have access to 1000 yds. From 100-400 is defined range property, 400-800 blm, 800-1000 private property with no permission, 1000 beyond blm again. Some guys will nicely go to 1000 and set stuff up, being careful not to leave any trace of crossing the private property... not really recommended practice, but we do it sometimes. Of course you can shoot all the way out to a mile if you can find a rock that you like:).

I have had good luck with .010 to .015 of jump on the vlds. I wouldn't load them jammed in a field rifle. That isn't the only answer but has worked for me.

R

Last edited:
@Steelhead- We "kind of" have access to 1000 yds. From 100-400 is defined range property, 400-800 blm, 800-1000 private property with no permission, 1000 beyond blm again. Some guys will nicely go to 1000 and set stuff up, being careful not to leave any trace of crossing the private property... not really recommended practice, but we do it sometimes. Of course you can shoot all the way out to a mile if you can find a rock that you like:).

:) Ok, I was kind of curious if you could test your loads out to a longer distance. Sounds like you can. By the way, what were you using at the SnipersHide cup?

Last edited:
At the cup i shot a Savage FPSR 308 in a McCree. It really really liked the 190 smk's, and with no wind it would drive them in consistently at 1200. The Cup however challenged my wind skills beyond their limits!! I'm unbelievably excited to have this new weapon though, can't wait to see what it can do!!!

fnberzerker, congats on your new rifle. I have a 6mm Creed that should be here soon. I also will be shooting the 105 hybrids with H-4350. I think you're going to like this new caliber compared to the 308 you have been shooting! Post a photo of your rifle if you get the chance.

Scored on some 105 hybrids today so once I get my modified case back from hornady I'll be back to give an update on how well the LongRifles Inc. 6mm creedmoor spits em out

g.ross- I'm not sure what everyone else here is using, I use Federal 210M (Large rifle match) primers for all my stuff.

I've heard many say that RL17 is crappy powder because it's apparently very sensitive to temperature swings, but I haven't had any issue with it......yet. My load of 41.2gr with 105gr. Hornady BTHP in my GAP10 has been working great so far. With summer coming, I'll get to see what happens with it in the 100 degree weather. I also gained about 150 fps by switching from H4350 to RL17. I couldn't find any H4350, is the reason I switched to RL17. If I find some crazy swings in velocity this summer, I'll switch back to H4350.....as soon as I can find it.

What did ya find out about RL-17's temp stability? I've been using it exclusively in a .260 in temps from 50 to 92 degrees with no problems..

What did ya find out about RL-17's temp stability? I've been using it exclusively in a .260 in temps from 50 to 92 degrees with no problems..

I'm not really sure yet. I have seen a 50 fps swing. What was interesting is, I was out last weekend and I was able to compare some H4350 loads to the RL17 loads. The H4350 seemed to be more accurate. This could be a number of things and maybe I just need to "tune" the RL17 loads a bit more. But for now I know that it looks like I've seen a 50 fps increase in speed this summer compared to my winter velocities.

Keep us posted on how she shoots.

I use the exact same load with RE17 .. I get 3031 for 105's and 2985 for 115DTAC's Works well for me. The groups did seem to spread in summer heat 90+

I loaded up both H4350 and RE17.. I will be heading out in a few weeks. Ill report back.

I'm running 41.3 grains of RL-17 under the 105 Hybrid in my 6 CM. I have only been able to shoot in the hot S. Texas summer so I'm curious to see what happens when the temp drops. So far I am pretty content with this load. I shot it at 1000 on Saturday. 5 Shots on steel measured 6.3" horizontal with 2.2" of vertical, and only 6.5 mils to get there. It's like shooting a ray gun.

-J

Im getting my most consistent results with H4350, anywhere from 41.5-42.2grs. BR2 or 210M primers work very well. Im mainly shooting 105HPBT AMP Hornadys, my next build will be spitting out Noslers, VLDs and Hybrids if I can fine more, have about 30 some left right now. fnberzerker, you should be putting them Hybrids in the same hole at 100yds, my Hornadys do. Shot my best 600yd group to date this past sunday, 3.625", hoping to reach the 2" mark next year.

Hey all, I just worked up a load with the 105 hornady HPBTs, and holy cow!!! Those things rock out of my stick. My rifle must have a sweet spot for them, because after I figured out the charge, i went for the best group I could, and made 1 ragged hole. I'm so excited right now I can barely contain it!!

Shot these at 100yds today, was going to try the Hybrids(top) at 300 but some overgrown grass was hindering my view of the target.Those 4 shot on the right target measure the same as the 5 on the left, 5/16" or .271", wasnt dead calm but wasnt what id call windy, either.
inaMjYz.jpg

Im averaging 3129(1st group), 3116(2nd group)SD of 5 with 42grs H4350 with he Hybrids.

Last edited:
Awesome shots Gorski! Im interested as well in how your primer pockets are holding up and how many loads you have through your brass at this point? I haven't noticed any issues with my primer pockets yet, 3 loads in, running around 3118 with 41.7 gr H4350 and Hornady 105's. Still working on getting my target off my phone and on my computer to host it. Just too lazy to do it, but i will soon.

Awesome shots Gorski! Im interested as well in how your primer pockets are holding up and how many loads you have through your brass at this point? I haven't noticed any issues with my primer pockets yet, 3 loads in, running around 3118 with 41.7 gr H4350 and Hornady 105's. Still working on getting my target off my phone and on my computer to host it. Just too lazy to do it, but i will soon.
Thanks! You must be running a 23" barrel, Im getting 3144 from 41.7grs. Actually, Im kinds disappointed in these groups, they should all be in the same hole, there wasnt that much wind, maybe 3mph at best. if it was me then I need to try a different hold, these groups were shot with a soft hold, like a BR guy would hold his rifle, like barely touching it.

Yes, I was just wondering if they were still holding up well. I settled on 40.2 of H-4350, which is at 3045FPS. great accuracy, but more important, it will save my brass and barrel a bit longer. I do really like this caliber and may step it up a bit later, but for now, I'm happy. Shot it in a tactical match a few weeks ago and came in 4th.

Thanks! You must be running a 23" barrel, Im getting 3144 from 41.7grs. Actually, Im kinds disappointed in these groups, they should all be in the same hole, there wasnt that much wind, maybe 3mph at best. if it was me then I need to try a different hold, these groups were shot with a soft hold, like a BR guy would hold his rifle, like barely touching it.

I think its 24", but my measure or chrono may be off. I got to a close estimate of velocity with the info I had, and then ran the MV tool on Shooter, and came up with that velocity. As far as shooting position, I have had way more luck shooting a rear bag and bipod and loading the bipod fairly heavy, than any other position/hold. I think it's just because I can do it the same every single time. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all here, so I apologize if I come across that way.

J, I recently picked up tapes one and two from Rifles Only. They cover both the fundamentals and positional shooting of the tactical rifle. It also illustrates the loading of the bipod. I have been to a few schools, but these tapes were a great refresher, as I had either forgot or became sloppy over the years. Just something to consider.

J, I recently picked up tapes one and two from Rifles Only. They cover both the fundamentals and positional shooting of the tactical rifle. It also illustrates the loading of the bipod. I have been to a few schools, but these tapes were a great refresher, as I had either forgot or became sloppy over the years. Just something to consider.

Im using my 6 Creed for 600 yd BR right now so I need to be shooting off a rest, dont have any Tactical matches near here so that wont happen anytime soon. I consider myself pretty good from a bi-pod even though I just started shooting off one from a few years ago. That being said, Ill take any kinda advice anyone might give me. Ill be pounding the paper with my 308 for that 300yd Challenge this saturday, had some pretty nice groups with that this last sat.

Are any of you guys using the Hornady dies? I am getting absolutely horrible runout seating the Berger 105 Hybrids with the Hornady seating die. Most are coming it at ~7 thousandths off, but some have been as much as 12 thous off.

I've tried fiddling with these things for almost 100 rounds now and can't get any satisfaction. This is with factory Hornady brass, but I get the same results with factory brass that has been through the sizing die and once fired/sized brass.

Anybody checking their bullets for runout?

Thanks,

-J

Are any of you guys using the Hornady dies? I am getting absolutely horrible runout seating the Berger 105 Hybrids with the Hornady seating die. Most are coming it at ~7 thousandths off, but some have been as much as 12 thous off.

I've tried fiddling with these things for almost 100 rounds now and can't get any satisfaction. This is with factory Hornady brass, but I get the same results with factory brass that has been through the sizing die and once fired/sized brass.

Anybody checking their bullets for runout?

Thanks,

-J
Ive got FL and NS only "Custom" bushing dies from Hornady.

Im getting >.003" runout with Hornady seater die and Hybrids, just loaded up 30 AMP bullets and the worst I got was .0035" runout, some were almost 0.
LwL8zPK.jpg