• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with .936 Adjustable Gas Block

Lead Heads

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
I just bought a JP 6.5 CR barrel and JP .936 "low profile" adjustable gas block. It does fit under my 15 inch SWS E1 free float tube, however, I can not install the screws because of where the cutouts in the tube are located. When I try to put the gas block on first then slide the tube over it it is a no go. Suggestions on another MORE "low Profile" gas block. I can't return the tube because I have already Cerakoted it. Should cut out the second and third from the muzzle end vertical pillar? Would it jeopardize the integrity of the tube?
Thanks
Link to what the tube looks like:
Free Float Tube for AR-10 Carbine model
Link to the JP gas block:
JP Rifles

I dislike the JP blocks for various reasons, including but not limited to the fact that it has no locking mechanism as shipped from the factory which basically means it was meant to be "set" at its sweet spot for a particular load/conditions and then loc-tited in place. If you don't do that, they will eventually work lose/fall out but probably not before the rifle is overgassed and in need of "readjustment" anyway. Its the same old, tired design JP has had in adjustable blocks for over a decade now and pales in comparison with other offerings currently available on the market. Thus, if it were mine, I would happily ditch the JP block for a different option. I certainly wouldn't go hacking up the SWS handguard, especially since you've already gone to the trouble/expense of having it Cerakoted (which will have to be redone if you go at it with a Dremel/etc. to modify it to fit around the JP block/screws).

Now, with that said, how much room does your current SWS have in terms of ID top to bottom and side to side (I can't recall if the SWS is perfectly round on the inside or not)? I ask because the options for a 0.936" adjustable block are extremely limited and not nearly as plentiful as say the 0.750" or even 0.875" blocks. Furthermore, with a barrel/journal that large in diameter, getting ANY block to fit UNDER a handguard is a tall order on even some of the larger ID tubes like the Seekins BAR, etc. which measure up to 1.8".

At the moment, you have the SLR Rifleworks block which is the best available currently in my experience. They offer both a set-screw and a clamp-on block in 0.936" depending on how your barrel is setup. For a precision AR, the clamp on is a better option, but larger thanks to the addt'l room needed for the clamping screw/mount. You have everything in hand so taking the measurements shouldn't be too difficult. Here's a link to the SLR site...you'll see the 0.936" blocks toward the bottom of the page: Gas Blocks

There is also the PRI and Wilson Combat adjustable blocks in that size, BUT...they will NOT fit under any handguard I have looked at with them. YMMV depending on the size of the SWS handguard, but I'm doubting it.

Now, if you don't mind giving up the adjustable block, there are a host of options for low profile blocks, with the smallest being the Troy Industries 0.936" gas block.

The SWS rail is round with an opening at the top for the gas tube. I do need adjustable because I will be running suppressed and unsuppressed. I will measure the tube tonight to get all the specs. SLR is looking like my best bet. Thanks.

The SWS rail is round with an opening at the top for the gas tube. I do need adjustable because I will be running suppressed and unsuppressed. I will measure the tube tonight to get all the specs. SLR is looking like my best bet. Thanks.

If it will fit under your SWS handguard, I think you'll be very pleased with the SLR block based on its design/construction/adjustment method. And as a plus...the company is owned/operated by a Fla. boy that's only about 1.5hrs across the panhandle from you should you need anything in the way of service/support. ;) I highly recommend them/their blocks. Good stuff in all respects!

I have the same dilemma. I measured my sws e1 opening with a tape measure and compared it to the slr drawing. It looks like it might fit with a tight squeeze. I think it will touch under sling pressure and vibration from firing. Does anyone use the SLR .936 block under a SWS E1?

Cwa the current SLR gas block will not fit. I tried it a couple of weeks ago. They are working on a smaller block though. It may be ready in 2 months I was told.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Syrac told me that they plan to release a .936 gas block sometime near the end of February. I know that doesn't help you now, but this will certainly be my favorite .936 gas block on the market when it is released. So much so that I will likely replace my JP .936 block with one when they begin shipping.

Interesting, I have used all of the .936 blocks without issue under some of the narrowest rails around, BUT not the JP. I have a .936 PRI block under a DD Lite Rail with an ID of 1.2". I have a wilson combat .936 under a KAC URX 3.1 and another PRI adjustable under a NSR rail. Some of them have taken some creativity (DD Lite for sure) but all of them ended up working out....