• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Help with ballistics program

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Hey guys,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this program to be 'download-able'
mad.gif

It works on my computer, but I'm trying to make it work universally.

If you would like to try this download and tell me what happens, it will give me more information to troubleshoot.

The program is a free, basic ballistics program that I want to offer for download from the Berger website. Problem is that not all computers know what to do with the download. Don't worry, it can't hurt your computer. It will just either run or not.

If you're interested, please copy the following link to a browser window:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/BergerBallistics.jar

This should open a download dialogue box. Choose to save the file to your computer, then double click on the file. If you see anything about winzip or winrar, it means the download was mis-understood (failure on my part). If a hansom new ballistics program opens up, it means success!

Please reply back to this thread with your experience.

Thank you for the help guys!

-Bryan

Re: Help with ballistics program

Looks like I can only go to 5481 yds or 5013 meters in '1' range steps.

spot,
Can you close it and then open it back up from your computer and see if it works?

Mine does not.

Okay, it does work when but when I punch in the data for my 208amax round.

I punch in:
G7 of .325
Vel of 2700
and hit calc and it does nothing.

Hi Brian it is in a zipped folder but i can open the files is there a file to make it run?

When I download it under Windows 7, I get a BergerBallistics.zip file which contains a lot of files, but nothing executable (no PM_Ballistics.jar in there).

The program in your book runs fine on my machine.

I get the same thing as GuinnessNM when I download it under Windows Vista - I get a BergerBallistics zip file with no executable program. I can't get Visa to actually download the .jar file.

added:

OK - Yes I can.

When the download box comes up, change the "Save as type" box to All files.

Then change the file name to BergerBallistics.jar

Then, after saving the file, I double click on the file name, and it runs.

I cant get it to calc one for a different cal. It wont let me enter in any info.??????What do I do?

When I run the program, it gives me the same calculation at the program in Bryan's book with my standard load.

I didn't have any problem changing the program to calculate a shot for a .338 LM. It also works fine with a 7mm Mag.

Both programs will not run simultaneously, though - although that's not a problem.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

At least it seems to be opening for most.

If the program didn't open for you, please email me:
[email protected]

and I'll send you the program in an email attachment. I think it might make a difference if you get it via email versus a download.

For those that were able to open it but had problems, I can tell you that if there is any problem with the inputs it will not run. For example, if you accidentally have two decimal points, or no decimal point where there should be, it will crap out. In order to enter a value, you have to replace the old value.

I want to put something solid out there that will work reliably. Seems I'm not there yet but I'll keep working. There's no way to know without trying it. Thanks for helping me out!

-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK - Yes I can.

When the download box comes up, change the "Save as type" box to All files.

</div></div>

Lindy, you sir are a technical wizard, thanks for the tips.

Bryan,

I was able to download it just fine, running Firefox 3.5.5 under Windows 7. The only problem I had is that I haven't installed a Java runtime on this machine yet so I couldn't run immediately run it.

Bryan, perhaps this is a biased opinion, but it seems like you would have less trouble moving from Java to either Adobe AIR/Flash or Microsoft Silverlight (.NET). Either would protect your source code but will generally install and run better than a JRE. As a web developer, I long ago just got sick of Java and Sun. To me, a valuable clue on which technologies to choose is the overall health of the company. Adobe and Microsoft are doing fine. Sun is selling out to Debacle, er, Oracle.

OK Brian i saved it as a .jar file works like a dream. Is there a way to print the output charts or cut and paste from the program into a diferent program?

Wild_Bill: if your operating system is Windows Vista or Windows 7, the OS has a built in screenshot saver called the Snipping Tool. Click on the Start button in the lower left corner, and start typing in "Snipping" in the search window to find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the download box comes up, change the "Save as type" box to All files.

</div></div>
Yes that works for me as well. Good catch Lindy!

Bryan - Like the new colors scheme.

Next question - does anyone know how to get this to run under Windows Mobile?

Thanks again guys,

It seems like the biggest problem is that some browsers don't properly read the file as a .jar, so you have to force it to by saving it that way. You can either do that in the download dialogue as Lindy described, or rename the file after you've saved it to your computer.

As a Java program, there should be a way to compile it so it runs on Mac and windows mobile. My kung-fu isn't that strong yet. If I ever figure it out I'll pass it on.

Thanks again,
-Bryan

It works for me. Only potential issue I see is there is no box for altitude?

Tyler,

In order to avoid the station pressure vs corrected pressure at sea level for altitude confusion, this program only accepts station pressure.

If you hold the mouse pointer over the word 'Pressure' in the program, a table will pop up that lists the standard pressure for altitudes up to 10,000 ft. If you want to use standard pressure at altitude, you just enter that pressure as the input.

-Bryan

I agree, there needs to be a more convenient print option. As it stands there are two 'round-about' ways to print the output.

1) Do a screen capture of the whole program.

2) Select (highlight) the output with the mouse and 'copy' using the keyboard shortcut: ctrl c (hold down the ctrl key and hit c)
Then open a word processor doc and paste it in there. Print that document.

I'll work on making a more convenient print feature on the program, but for now the above two options are how you can get it done.

-Bryan

Mr Litz,
So here I am on another site (this morning) chatting about your G7 capable ballistic program while you have already posted a downloadable copy here in the 'hide! Better found late than never...
Although I've already got the hard copy from your book, I wanted thank you for providing this resource available online for download...

Bryan

It may help if you put a readme file in the folder.

That way, if it doesn't work and someone gets a zip folder, they can try to trouble shoot instead of getting frustrated.

Tell them to try downloading the latest Java, and try saving as "BergerBallistics.jar" and file type- "all files"

For printing, if you could make it so when it is pasted into excel each value had it's own cell, it would allow easy formatting to make balistics cards, etc.

Bryan, it almost sounds like a mime-type issue on the server. I'm guessing you know all about this and have edited your server's settings to properly serve .jar files but I thought I should mention it just in case. I'm not near a computer so I can't check (iPhone) but feel free to PM me if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr Litz,
So here I am on another site (this morning) chatting about your G7 capable ballistic program while you have already posted a downloadable copy here in the 'hide! Better found late than never...
Although I've already got the hard copy from your book, I wanted thank you for providing this resource available online for download...
</div></div>

I have to echo those comments. I spend hours upon hours looking at these equations that make up ballistic coefficients. I am still stumped so having your resource makes it easy for me. I just love the math that comes with long range shooting and I guess that is why I spend a large amount of time looking at it. I only wish I had spent more time with math in college and this stuff might have come easier but in the mean time I keep the my mind working.

thanks

OK fellas,

I've wrapped the .jar up into a .exe so it should work flawlessly on any PC with Java now. If you don't have Java, it automatically asks if you want to download the required Java, then runs.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance and suggestions. My kung-fu is feeling stronger! Now if I can only get it to print...

Here's the <span style="font-style: italic">new and improved</span> link:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/BergerBallistics.exe

-Bryan

Okay, not to burst your kung-fu bubble.

I'm on my work computer (already installed at home). Clicked the link, download it, double click the exe to run it.... then a blue dialog box pops up. In the "blue bar" it says "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" and the text in the box reads "Could not find the main class. Program will exit." and then it closes the box when I click the OK button.

The new .exe will not run on a mac. Can you offer both a .jar and exe?

Brian,

Works perfect on a Mac, no install just clicks and opens.

Thanks to Lindy for sending it too me, I would have missed it.

But I installed it on my Mac Book Pro running Snow Leopard

A .jar file should run on any system which has a Java interpreter. I'm glad to know it does run on both a Microsoft OS and a Mac - it's a simple but very accurate and useful program. Programs like JBM Ballistics are very versatile, but the complexity of the setup can deter novices.