• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help with barrel length

clowe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
mid tn
I am ordering a Mossberg MVP tomorrow and need a little help with the barrel length. 20 or 24 inch? I want to be able to shoot as far as I can but will probably not shoot further than 500 meters or so. Will the 24 give me that much more velocity? Will it flex alot more than the 20?

At that distance either barrel length will be more that adequate. Personally I would be more worried about the rifles intended use. Is it going to be carried around? In that case go 20". Is it going to be taken to the range and set on a bench? Then go with 24".

At that distance either barrel length will be more that adequate. Personally I would be more worried about the rifles intended use. Is it going to be carried around? In that case go 20". Is it going to be taken to the range and set on a bench? Then go with 24".

It will b e used both. Some hunting and some bench. I have read that to much barrel can hurt your velocity as much as a short one and didnt want to over do it. I am new to the long range stuff. I am more of a handgun guy, been instructing for about 8 years now. I did get a front focal plane scope and a mil dot calculator. Sorry to get off topic, just looking for advice from someone who knows more. By the way like the forum, pretty bad ass.

my dad has a mossberg mvp with the 24in bbl and its not too big of a gun but if you're going to be walking around then I'd get the 20 or if your gonna run a suppressor then get the 20. but you really can't go wrong with either length.

I have 2 and they are both 24" so I can't comment on the 20, but I will say the 24 is a very sweet rifle and my twin sons are 11 and can shoot some fine groups with these rifles...

JW

It will b e used both. Some hunting and some bench. I have read that to much barrel can hurt your velocity as much as a short one and didnt want to over do it. I am new to the long range stuff. I am more of a handgun guy, been instructing for about 8 years now. I did get a front focal plane scope and a mil dot calculator. Sorry to get off topic, just looking for advice from someone who knows more. By the way like the forum, pretty bad ass.

Seeing as a lot of F-Class guys use 30"-32" barrels on their rifles, choose whichever you like the best.

Shooting 77's at 1k with a gasser isn't a problem with an 18". Go 20", that's what my 5R .308 is and I lost 0 velocity from the 24".