• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with falcon menace tracking

michaelcox5150

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2009
US
Went to the range today and sighted my new falcon scope in at 100 yard range, its mil mil scope, after sigting in at 100 yards i dialed in 3 mils up on the scope and only got around 2.5 mils up with the group, did the same on the windage and had the same problem, it seems to need around 1.3 to 1.4 mils on the turrets to hit one mil on the target, is this common with the falcon scopes, this is my first mil mil first focal plane scope, it always returns back to zero, but i expect it to give me what i ask it to, please help, and thanks in advance

Re: Help with falcon menace tracking

Forgot to add its a 4-14x44, also my falcon has no markings on the scope at all that say falcon menace, is this common, ive seen other falcons with it written close to the eye piece. thanks

I can't comment on the markings, since my Falcon is one of the first generation Mil/MOA models.

However if it's not tracking correctly, you need to contact the dealer and arrange to get it serviced or exchanged.

Actually, on the lower left side of the housing is a small knob looking deal. Make sure that isn't screwed all the way down tight before you attempt to adjust either of the elevation or windage knobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, on the lower left side of the housing is a small knob looking deal. Make sure that isn't screwed all the way down tight before you attempt to adjust either of the elevation or windage knobs. </div></div>

Dude i dont think you are supposed to mess with that period.........I guess i could be wrong.......But i really dont think so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, on the lower left side of the housing is a small knob looking deal. Make sure that isn't screwed all the way down tight before you attempt to adjust either of the elevation or windage knobs. </div></div>

Dude i dont think you are supposed to mess with that period.........I guess i could be wrong.......But i really dont think so. </div></div>

Correct on don't mess with the small knob on the bottom of the bottom of the scope ... it is NOT like a Burris zero lock. It holds a spring that puts tension on the erector. As for your adjustments not being accurate. I had 2 Falcons and both of them dropped off adjustment wise on elevation in the upper third of adjustment range. IE: dial .5 mil and get .4 As for windage - I shot the box with them and the windage seemed fine. I generally hold for windage so didn't crank on that much other than zero and box test. I sold one and have the other on a 22 LR trainer.

I would remove your caps - clean some of the grease out - then reinstall - crank full range of elevation and windage a few times. then go shoot the box a few times and see how repeatable it is.

Thanks for the information guys, i thought they would track a little better, get what you pay for, thanks, mess with it again today and seems to need 1.3 mils on ele and windage to get a mil on target

1 meter = 1.0936 yards, the scope is set up for 1cm click @ 100 meters, so you would need to shoot @ 100 meters or 109 yards to be accurate. This doesnt entirely account for your tracking discrepancy (about .1 mils), but a little.

Kirk R

I just got my first Falcon last week, and when looking through the scope at a stationary target, I adjusted 1.0 mil up, but it didn't bring the reticle up to the 1 mil mark. I ended up having to dial about 1.1 mils to get it to hit the 1 mil mark. sounds kinda like the same problem your having. I'm gonna clean out the grease as mentioned above, and see if a little working in will help.

I had a Falcon at one point, and had a similar issue with click values.. iirc, my clicks were about 20% "too big", ie, 1 mil of adjustment resulted in 1.2 mils of actual POI change.

Other folks have no problems, so I think they are just kind of inconsistent/have poor QC in terms of their click values.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michaelcox5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to the range today and sighted my new falcon scope in at 100 yard range, its mil mil scope, after sigting in at 100 yards i dialed in 3 mils up on the scope and only got around 2.5 mils up with the group, did the same on the windage and had the same problem, it seems to need around 1.3 to 1.4 mils on the turrets to hit one mil on the target, is this common with the falcon scopes, this is my first mil mil first focal plane scope, it always returns back to zero, but i expect it to give me what i ask it to, please help, and thanks in advance </div></div>

What are you using to measure the mils at one hundred yards? Are you using a ruler or are you just measuring with the mil-dots?

It would help if you described your process for checking the scope to see if there is a problem with the method or the scope.

it been a first focal plane scope i put in 1mil of adjustment, with it zero'd at 100yards and put the 1st mil dot above the cross hairs, did the same with 3mils up and putting the 3 mil dot on the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 meter = 1.0936 yards, the scope is set up for 1cm click @ 100 meters, so you would need to shoot @ 100 meters or 109 yards to be accurate. This doesnt entirely account for your tracking discrepancy (about .1 mils), but a little.

Kirk R </div></div>
If not mistaken, a mil is a mil regardless of range. Yes 1 mil= 1 cm @ 100m. But 1 mil=3.6 inches @100yards. A mil is a unit of angle measurement,not a unit of metric measurement!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michaelcox5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it been a first focal plane scope i put in 1mil of adjustment, with it zero'd at 100yards and put the 1st mil dot above the cross hairs, did the same with 3mils up and putting the 3 mil dot on the target. </div></div>

So you are absolutely positive that you had a good, clean break on the trigger with no movement whatsoever?
How accurate is the ammo you are using?
You introduce a number of variables when checking this way. It says much that you are checking and I applaud you for it. Most scopes are off a bit, even the high priced models.
I recommend that you use this method instead:
http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/ScopeChecking/

You can always use a meter stick and lase a range of 100 meters just so there is no conversions involved.

Good luck.

It is a Falcon menace FFP scope, mil-dots work at any power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you ranging the mil in 10x or 14x? the mils are set to read correct at 10x ONLY, are they not?</div></div> No it's a first focal plane scope doesn't matter what power setting you're on. Mine seems to track just fine at 100. But I think I'm getting more than 1 mil adjustments passed 600 yards. I'm shooting factory ammo and it sure shoots flatter than any on-line dope I can find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 meter = 1.0936 yards, the scope is set up for 1cm click @ 100 meters, so you would need to shoot @ 100 meters or 109 yards to be accurate. This doesnt entirely account for your tracking discrepancy (about .1 mils), but a little.

Kirk R </div></div>
If not mistaken, a mil is a mil regardless of range. Yes 1 mil= 1 cm @ 100m. But 1 mil=3.6 inches @100yards. A mil is a unit of angle measurement,not a unit of metric measurement! </div></div>

True, but to check the tracking, it would be easier to check at 100 meters since there is a direct correlation. However, if he puts in 10 clicks, it should cause a shift of poi at 100 yards of very close to 3.6 inches.

gun is shooting consistant .5 groups, i handload with 75grain amax's,

DSC02932.jpg