• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with FN loading?

QuietShootr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2003
In doing some load development for my FN SPR A3G, I found one using my bullet of choice (175SMK)that shoots unbelievably well (sub .3) and gives me the velocity I want. Trouble is, it's WAY too long for the magazine. My rifle measures 2.890 to the lands from the ogive of a 175SMK, and the bug-hole load is 2.893 COAL (2.880 to the ogive), which is WAY too long to feed.

It appears that the mag will allow 2.812 or so to feed but that's about it. Is it possible to mill or lengthen the magazine well to allow longer seating depths? Shorter loads shoot pretty dramatically worse.

Anyone have any suggestions, or am I stuck with a single-shot rifle?

Re: Help with FN loading?

You have a single shot or reason to pull the barrel and change the length of the throat. If you do that there is no guarantee you will retain the accuracy.

Fuck. Well, that's not an option because of the chrome lining. I hope FN will make it right. I thought that throat was too long.

Aren't the ACIS mags a little bigger? If they are, you can get a new bottom metal. From what I have read, all FNs are like that.

I'm at 2.94 COAL and 2.174 base to ogive in an A2 with 1800+ down the barrel. Living the single feed life it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete H.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm at 2.94 base to ogive in an A2 with 1800+ down the barrel. Living the single feed life it seems. </div></div>

If I'd known they were all like that I wouldn't have bought the thing. A single-shot is slightly more useful to me than...oh...nothing.

I was able to get .5-.7 MOA with mag length loads but to ring out the tightest performance in a 175 gr. required bullets on the lands.