• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with FN SPR

Chezplex

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2013
NC
I'm looking at purchasing one of the FN SPR. I just cant decide which. I like the 1/2 moa guarantee of the A3 but I also like the box mag available on the A5. Any suggestions? Is there that much difference in the A5 and A3 accuracy. Could the A5 be bedded and expect the same results? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chez

These are nice rifles, I was looking at one a while ago, only turn off was the twist rates being standard 1/12 twist only. I'd get the DBM version just because there's no fuss waiting for the rifle to get worked on since you are looking at purchasing a new one. Or you can get the A3 and do a CDI DBM to run AICS mags. My .02cents;)

I'm looking at purchasing one of the FN SPR. I just cant decide which. I like the 1/2 moa guarantee of the A3 but I also like the box mag available on the A5. Any suggestions? Is there that much difference in the A5 and A3 accuracy. Could the A5 be bedded and expect the same results? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chez

I've heard two things:

1) There isn't any accuracy difference between the A3 and A5M
2) The A5M is the most accurate of the SPR series

I can only attest to the rifle that I own, which is the SPR A5M TBM - my rifle came with a factory test target with a 0.17" group at 100 yards with FGMM - if that is any indication.

By the way, the detachable magazine system on the A5M is awesome - it has a mag well and ambi release buttons on both sides of the mag well - it makes inserting magazines quick and easy.

Well worth the extra dough in my opinion.

I've heard two things:

1) There isn't any accuracy difference between the A3 and A5M
2) The A5M is the most accurate of the SPR series

I can only attest to the rifle that I own, which is the SPR A5M TBM - my rifle came with a factory test target with a 0.17" group at 100 yards with FGMM - if that is any indication.

By the way, the detachable magazine system on the A5M is awesome - it has a mag well and ambi release buttons on both sides of the mag well - it makes inserting magazines quick and easy.

Well worth the extra dough in my opinion.

My A5M came with a factory group of 0.15" 3 Shots 100 Yard 168gr FGMM. Rediculous. Like Tac Ops level rediculous. Makes you wonder if they actaully took three shots.

While I'm sure the A5M's tend to shoot great, I believe they carry a 1moa accuracy gaurantee.

The A3G carries the best accuracy gaurantee of the lineup, at 1/2moa.

Most of the SPRs shoot considerably better than their gaurantee though.

Personally, I think the A3G costs too much considering its hinged floorplate and basic A3 stock. I agree that your money is better served buying one with the TBM detup which is excellent.

I sure do like the FN/Win70 rifle though. They are excellent, solid rifles.

Here is my SPR A5m. It shoots lights out. I believe the difference in the A3 and the A5 is that the A3 is fully bedded and the A5 is spot bedded in the lug and rear tang.
I totally love my spr.
IMG_3646_zps3a588d34.jpg

IMG_3648_zps59d28ed0.jpg

My A5M came with a factory group of 0.15" 3 Shots 100 Yard 168gr FGMM. Rediculous. Like Tac Ops level rediculous. Makes you wonder if they actaully took three shots.

Hah that was pretty much my reaction after looking at the test target.

Pretty insane.

I have the A1 and it shoots amazing and it is the basic SPR. I had it bedded and it got even better. My suggestion is get one with the TBM as I am having to spend the extra $400+ on mine right now to retrofit it with the TBM. The 4 round DBM is kind of a joke unless it is just a hunting rig.

I have the A1 and it shoots amazing and it is the basic SPR. I had it bedded and it got even better. My suggestion is get one with the TBM as I am having to spend the extra $400+ on mine right now to retrofit it with the TBM. The 4 round DBM is kind of a joke unless it is just a hunting rig.

The TBM is quality. The magazines are really nice too.

I own both the A3G and the A5M. They both shoot the same (bug hole groups) but as stated, the A3G is fully bedded by GAP with MarineTex. Unlike the A5M. All things considered, I like the A5M better for the A5 stock and detachable mags.

DSC_3222_zps3370cc11.jpg

Really like my SPR A5M. Accuracy is up there with the high end bolt guns. I would probably prefer a faster twist rate but the gun shoots 168 grain and lighter bullets just fine.

I'd give Mike@Tactical coordination a call. He sells them bedded in Mcm A4's and he's installing CDI bottom metal and AI mags as well.

They are insanely accurate. I have the CDI DBM on my A3G, and it's an unbelievably good shooter, but I agree with the posters above that the A5M is probably a better buy at this point. My A3G came with a .15 test target at 100, and if the A5Ms are doing that too, I'd rather have the nicer stock and the DBM to start with - even if you pay for a full Marine-tex bed job you're still going to come out ahead.

I will buy more SPRs. I'm not sure why they aren't more popular - they're as accurate as any custom, if you get a good one, and they're about as tough as a railroad tie.