• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Help with fundamentals of pistol marksmanship

dadzic

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2010
Wausau WI
Had no luck with the search, if this topic already exists can someone please point me in the right direction.

I went to the range the other day and shot the 25yd and 50yd pistol for the first time (prior to this I only shot at cans at about 15yd). I was not very happy with my performance since at first I had trouble getting my shots on paper. After that my groups were very poor but at least I got something on paper. I just recently started shooting and have only gone through about 300-350 rounds. I was wondering if somebody can give me pointers on how to improve my accuracy and consistency when shooting a pistol? My friend is also new to shooting handguns but he did noticeably better then me, so I know I'm doing something wrong. If somebody with a lot of experience and knowledge can inform me about the correct pistol shooting technique that would be greatly appreciated. Also I'm wondering if this is common for people who have not had a lot of experience shooting pistols or am I just a horrible shot? I shoot rifles left handed because I have very poor vision in my right eye but I'm right handed. When I shoot pistols I found that right handed shooting is more comfortable and it's easy for me to aim with my left eye and shoot out of my right hand. I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with my poor performance?

Re: Help with fundamentals of pistol marksmanship

Best advise is to get a coach, some one experienced in Bullseye or ISU (International) Pistol Shooting.

Baring that, or in addition, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide in .pdf format.
It's free and will cover everything you need in regards to the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

If you accept my offer, I only request you pass the guide to others who are interested in pistol shooting.

Congrats on wanting to learn the fundamentals as opposed to blasting away to see how fast you can miss as some of the action type shooting out there.

Reactions: Driftr76

I second Kraig's suggestion. If you can't find a good coach the AMU guide is very, very good. I read it cover to cover about 10 years ago and it was very good.

what kind of pistol do you have? single action(like a 1911)is the easiest to shoot. a short crisp trigger will get you on target. revolvers and double action guns are harder to master.
Its best to shoot with your dominate eye. Trigger control is 80% of it. Anybody can aim a gun. But where are the sights when the bullet leaves the barrel? Get some snap-caps and dry fire your gun at home while you watch tv. It takes about 3000 reps to develop muscle memory. focus on the front sight and not the target. Let us know about your progress...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dadzic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I shoot pistols I found that right handed shooting is more comfortable and it's easy for me to aim with my left eye and shoot out of my right hand. I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with my poor performance? </div></div>

This is very likely part of your problem. Its an eye dominance problem that comes up a lot with people that are right or left eye dominant but opposite 'handed.'

Point your index finger at a spot on the wall with your right hand and line it up with your left eye. Then close your left eye and look at it with your right. It will illustrate how that can shift your point of aim.

My advice would be get used to shooting with both eyes open. No reason to close one and it will help eliminate that shift. Also...don't be too hard on yourself. Pistols are a way harder weapon to shoot well than a rifle. Shorter barrels and shorter sight radius on a smaller weapon make for more innaccuracy.

If you can make good, consistent, hits with a pistol at 25 yards you are doing better than most. 50 yards gets to be a lot more challenging. You can make good hits, and accurate hits, on targets farther than that. Silhouette guys do it all the time. The group sizes arent rifle size though so don't walk onto the pistol range looking for that kind of accuracy from your weapon.

Focus on a good, smooth, trigger pull straight to the rear. If you jerk a pistol, even a little bit, it has a much bigger effect at much shorter distances than on a rifle.

Definitely agree with kraigWY on getting a coach too. But, I know this isn't always possible.

When I first started pistol shooting, I sucked so bad I couldn't even spell pistol, much less shoot one. I took this advice I got from a Gunnery Sergeant who was a wizard with a pistol:

"Get a .22lr. Shoot, shoot, then shoot some more. Leave the centerfire stuff alone until you master the rimfire. Once you've mastered it, then get centerfire ammo and shoot, shoot, then shoot some more, but still go back to the rimfire every once in a while to make sure you're still doing it right."

I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've put through my Buckmark, but I do know it worked. The rimfire training taught me proper grip, sight alignment, and biggest of all trigger control. I had some distinguished shooters to help coach me along the way too, but for the most part I trained myself in my spare time. I guarantee it can do the same for you too.

Kraig has it right. The USAMU has some of the best information. I shot a month with them before my unit recalled me to go to Iraq and let me tell you, my pistol shooting changed dramatically. Your trigger finger is probably one of the most important parts to shooting well. A smooth straight repeatable trigger pull can change a 9 to an X. I also agree with the rest in getting a coach.

Thank you for all of your responses. I will take them all into consideration. If I'm able to find a coach I will make sure to let you guys know and keep you informed on my progress. However I have a feeling that this takes a lot of practice and determination so it won't be an overnight thing. Thank you all again for your advice.

dadzic, I too am left eye dominant but right handed. I keep both eyes open but use my left eye while looking down the sights on a pistol. Some have cautioned me against this, but I have found it to work.

Getting a coach is a great idea if you have the right person.

I have found all the fundamentals to rifle shooting will apply to pistol shooting, and they will be magnified. One of the fundamentals, breathing, can be ignored after a while. The same can be said for rifle shooting.

I have found that trigger control, recoil management and follow through are the most important, at least to me. You know that you are doing it right when you are watching the slide recoil in a straight back manner, essentially never losing your site picture. It takes some time and many rounds put down range.

I find myself trying to almost crush the stocks from the side on my pistol to control the recoil. If I'm shooting bad it's because I'm not being aggressive enough with the gun, or I'm pushing it due to recoil. Take breaks. You need to run the gun, not let the gun run you.

Dress your target often and shoot paper while your learning. Steel is lots of fun, but can lead to bad habits. I always try to go back to paper at the end of a steel session to confirm that I have not forgotten the fundamentals.

You are correct it will not be an overnight thing, but you can master it. Lot's of practice and the knowledge to coach yourself will help. I'm not sure if this will help, but it's how I practice.

Edit: 25yds is far if your off the paper. Start close (3-5yds) and shoot until it's just one big hole and work your way back. You will start to feel yourself throwing away the shots after a while and be able to coach yourself back into that big hole. Just grouping at 25yds, standing offhand is a great start for the beginning pistol shooter.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

If you think you have a eye dominance issue try using a pair of clear safety glasses. Try taping over one of the lenses with heavy tape like duct tape. If that doesn't work try the other side and see if that makes a difference.

You will probably be an excellent shooter soon because (unlike many) you have an open mind and a desire to learn. Good luck.

50 yards is a really long way for a handgun. Even 25yards is kind of far. The handgun is designed as a close up firearm; less than 25yards. The .45ACP and .40cal is good out to about 15-20 yards and the 9mm, .357/.38 size is closer to 25 yeards. I know there will be someone on here that says they shoot theirs at 100yard all the time and have 1" groups. But if you are starting out, get into a basic defensive handgun course. They usually start around 3-5yards, which in real life is about as close as you want an attacker to get. It's easy to miss with a handgun at 50yards.

Kraig, PM sent.

Dadzic, i don't have any eye dominance issues but when i started shooting pistol for groups at the range i couldn't ever get on target. I finally figured out little things i was doing wrong but for the most part still suck at it. Which is odd because out in the desert i can pretty reliably use my side arms to engage small objects like water bottles and soda cans and usually expect to hit them but cannot group at the range for crap.

I would suggest starting closer and working on the basics and then moving out. 50 yards is a long shot for a pistol. You can do it but you aren't gonna get a 1 inch group unless you are like pistol champ material.

What would be considered "Expert" with a pistol? 10 shots into under about 4" at 15 yards?

Depends what kind of shooting you are doing. If its target stuff group size is a factor. If its tactical a hit is a hit. I think consistency over distance is a mark of a good shooter with a pistol. Anyone can make a ragged hole at 5 yards. If you start at 5 and move back to 25 over 20-30 rounds and you have the same ragged, albeit bigger, hole... thats pretty good.

shooting right handed with your left eye works just fine... arguably better aswell because you can get a cheek weld on your own shoulder. pretty much anyone who is new to pistols is going to suck right off the bat.

the reason is.. on your rifle you have four points of contact. 2 hands, your shoulder and your cheek... that makes it waaay more steady as you pull the trigger.

if you are having trouble getting it on paper then it sounds like youve got a flinch. easy test is have another person load your gun out of your site and hand it to you. randomly have him not chamber a round. im guessing your going to flinch and move the whole gun when no round goes off... i did this trick with my friend and he realized what was going on and almost instantly improved his accuracy.

you need to just sqeeze and keep the sights lined up and on target and let the gun off when it feels like it. your job as you squeeze is to keep it on target. dont MAKE the gun go off.

as with rifles dry firing helps alot. i always aim at the tv and shoot guys as they apear as fast as i can but your better off starting out just looking at a white wall and keeping the sight lined up letting the trigger break and see how much the sights wiggle as your trigger finger slams back.. 50 yards aint no easy task for a new pistol shooter. you bassically did the equivelent of buying a .308 and going straight to 500 yards on your first day out... bring it back in.... make one tiny hole with th whole magazine at 7 yards and then speed it up and keep a decent group.

I was thinking about one more thing you might be doing. When shooting pistol at long distance, a lot of shooters tend to lose their focus on the front sight and instead look at the target. This is especially the case when those shooters only shoot close range, pick up the front sight flash, and engage the target.

The fundamentals of sight alignment and sight picture don't change from rifle to pistol. You're still keeping your eye's focus on the front sight in order to maintain perfect sight alignment.

An article once penned as an intro to the USMC Pistol Marksmanship Guide:

U. S. Marine Pistol Team

Guide
to Marksmanship
Marine Corps League Supplement

Presented By:
The Marine Corps League
Department of New Jersey
Shooting Activities Committee

Foreword

It is assumed that the reader of this edition is a Marine Corps Leaguer, and that the reader has acquired this manual to study the methods used by the Corps in teaching or improving the marksmanship skills of serving Marines. Most Marine Corps Leaguers were taught some form of familiarization with standard issue-type sidearms during their period of active service, and little more. Some readers may have actually qualified with service sidearms, attaining proficiency scores related to the military use of these sidearms. The exercises contained in this manual are for an entirely different purpose; that of marksmanship excellence for its own sake. They prepare the shooter for what is known in civilian life as Bull's-Eye shooting, a form of NRA-sponsored competition. The Marine Corps fosters this form of competition within its ranks. It maintains an establishment called the Marine Corps Teams, at MCCDC, Quantico; for the purpose of providing training and Intra-Corps Match Competition opportunities. Competitors who excel in these competitions are often invited to join the Teams, to develop their skills and allow them to compete in Inter-Service, National, and International Competition. Many of the basic skills used in this form of competition, and referred to in this edition, have changed in recent years. Readers must take this into account before making any assumptions about what specific terms mean, and how certain commonly used procedures are performed. Take the time to read the glossary, and fully understand the definitions.

Certain concepts must be mastered to permit developing the requisite skills.

The first and most important concept is that pistol marksmanship is a physical sport. Good health and fitness are directly related to success. Particular forms of exercise can be beneficial, and some of the physical techniques and goals are unrelated to other sports. Some commonly practiced or logically imagined physical exercises can be detrimental to good marksmanship performance. Understanding the body and how it works to deliver the motions and positions needed for good marksmanship is the key to employing one's body as an ally, rather than as a foe. Physical development must be directed toward this goal. Mental development is also necessary to success. The ability to screen one's environment; finding the factors needing to be concentrated upon, and excluding the distractions which reduce performance, is a key item leading to success. A mental program must be developed and followed to allow the shooter's body to perform reliably in delivering marksmanship excellence.

The second concept is that pistol marksmanship is a discipline, with particular methods and goals. As a discipline, it has specific rules and techniques. Once they are understood and mastered, these rules and techniques will inevitably contribute to the shooter's success. They form the means by which the shooter may extend their goals and improve their performance.

The third concept is that each shooter is an individual, learning and improving at their own individual pace. In seeking to improve performance, and achieve competitive success, the shooter must understand that their performance is a personal thing. The success with which they apply the rules and techniques to their own methods is directly related to their personal commitment and desire to excel in this sport. As individuals, each must accept that we all share in the physical and mental abilities required at different personal levels. Physical prowess and mental abilities serve us as tools in achieving our goals. They should be viewed as assisting, rather than limiting the shooter. Some shooters will find the tasks simple to understand and master, others will have difficulty. All will find that success is possible. With rare exception, perseverance will deliver whatever goals the shooter truly commits to achieving. Competitive shooting can be a lifelong commitment, and can result in unending improvement and satisfaction. No course of improvement is smooth and free from setbacks. Such setbacks should be viewed as further incentive to resolve the underlying problems. They should actually help the shooter, leading to a better understanding of techniques and result in a greater potential for success. There is no time when the potential for improvement is greater than when performance is at its worst; the only direction is up.

The fourth concept is that marksmanship skills are perishable. They must be practiced regularly and consistently, or they will desert the shooter. Marksmanship skills must become a regular part of the shooter's makeup; as normal and common skills as are walking and breathing. The point of training repetition is to make the basic component skills related to marksmanship excellence into ingrained habits. They can then be counted on to work consistently and effectively without conscious thought. Each exercise and drill that a shooter practices should be directed toward improving a single particular marksmanship skill. Any practice that is not performed in this manner serves no good purpose. What makes marksmanship excellence difficult at first is that the mind can only concentrate on a limited number of things at any given time. Attempting to perfect them all at once serves mostly to distract and confuse the shooter. They must each become unconscious habits, like maintaining balance or focusing one's vision on an object. Then the shooter can concentrate on the key components skills, sight alignment and trigger squeeze, and rely on their mind and body's inate ability to deliver the other necessary component skills consistently and without fail.

The final concept is that any shooter can be a winner. Success in this sport is directly related to commitment. Perfect scores are attainable, with persistence and practice. That they are not easily attained serves only to make them more satisfying when achieved. The difference between a shooter's current attainment and ultimate perfection stands as the measure of the potential for improvement. This difference is best dealt with as a pointer to where new goals should be set, forming milestones on the road to excellence. Any shooter can improve, and none need feel that perfection is something that is personally unattainable. History and the Corps have proved otherwise.

It is the purpose of this manual to show the way to personal excellence.

Preparing for Perfection

A successful shooter can look around at the others on the line, and recognize in those others those physical traits that contribute to good marksmanship. Each will be relaxed, having the strength that allows the shooter to hold a steady position for sufficient time without becoming tired. They will also have sufficient personal cardiovascular capacity to concentrate on shooting without becoming short of breath and unsteady, losing their concentration. Personal physical training must be designed to support these areas of physical performance.

Physical training must be built upon a foundation of good physical health. Anyone starting on a new regimen of physical training must first ensure that their basic health is good enough to permit such exertion without the risk of injury or dangerous cardiovascular distress. Like persons who choose to provide their own legal defense, persons who choose to be their own doctors have fools for clients. Get a good medical checkup from a reputable medical practitioner. Be sure that the doctor understands that you plan to enter physical training. If your physical condition is not good enough to permit strenuous exercise, follow your doctor's advice regarding how to improve your condition until the doctor clears you for strenuous physical training. If your health is not sufficiently important to you to ensure that you adhere to good medical practice, then your judgment is too poor to allow you to develop good shooting skills.

The foundation of good physical condition is good cardiovascular health. Your lungs and circulatory system will reflect your normal level of physical activity. Persons who are constantly physically active will have higher cardiovascular capacity than persons who lead a slow and sedentary existence. One might think that shooting is a sedentary sport; after all, we just stand on the line and point our firearms downrange, right? This is not so, as most shooters will find when they attempt to fire a rapid fire string. If your body has the ability to obtain, store, and distribute oxygen efficiently, you will find yourself just beginning to feel the need to breathe as the targets finally turn away. Otherwise, the need to breathe will become strong enough to distract the shooter from good sight alignment and trigger squeeze just at the moment when they have settled down and begun to achieve good timing and accuracy.

Aerobic training is a good means to achieve better cardiovascular capacity. The basis of aerobic training is to raise the heart rate to a controllably higher level for a specific period, and then back down to normal. This is done by steadily increasing physical exertion until a level physical plateau is settled upon, followed by a steady decrease of exertion, until the heart rate is normal again. Abrupt changes in physical exertion are disruptive of controllable heart rates, and can stress the cardiovascular system to dangerous levels. They must be avoided. The physical exercises that can be used to perform aerobic training are numerous. Such exercises may be varied often, if care is taken to monitor and control heart rates, keeping them within acceptable limits. These limits vary according to many factors, and each individual should seek out and use a set of limits that are tailored to their own physical capacity. Walking, jogging, stationary equipment, and calisthenics are all good aerobic exercises, when used with attention to heart rate.

Physical exercises also contribute to the individual body areas where physical strength is needed. The point of developing these specific areas of strength is not to develop rock hard muscles, providing immovable positions and unbreakable grips. It is to allow the shooter to assume and hold their positions steadily for long periods, without becoming tired and developing shake. The key concept is to turn the body into a steady and relaxed bulwark. It should be able to perform smoothly and reliably for as long as necessary. It should not desert the shooter before the work is done, distracting the shooter from achieving consistent accuracy. When properly developed, the body becomes an ally, rather than a foe. The areas where strength is needed are the hands and wrists, neck and shoulders, legs and waist. Good feet and footwear contribute by allowing the shooter to hold a steady position without developing backache.

There are two kinds of muscle development; that which contributes to bulk, and that which contributes to definition. Big, bulky muscles are strong and steady, and contribute by providing the structural pylons supporting the fine levers that perform steady movements. Finely defined muscles are easily distinguished from each other, and are strong and flexible cords that move the levers with precise control. Bulk is developed by stressing the muscles to their maximum force limits, forcing them to overcome those limits by growing. Definition is developed by repetition of smaller loads through limits of extension, forcing them to overcome those limits by becoming longer and more flexible.

Hands and wrists are developed to provide a steady and relaxed grip. The physical attributes of a good grip allow the shooter to hold the firearm with good sight alignment. A good grip is as relaxed as possible; steady and firm enough to control recoil and achieve recovery, and no stronger. The development goal is muscle definition, not bulk. Rock-like grips are tiring and unnecessary, and contribute to unconscious forces that push the sights out of alignment during trigger squeeze. The contribution of strength to accuracy is that it allows continued performance without tiring. Frequent repetitive squeezing exercises that exercise the entire hand are used to develop a good grip. Squeezing a tennis ball, or scissors-type spring grip can be useful; but fail to develop the strength and control of individual fingers. A better method is to use a gripmaster exerciser, which has individual buttons for each finger. Most good gun stores carry a model that has attachments which change the palm contour to resemble a pistol grip, and provide sights for practicing sight alignment and sight picture while exercising. They can even be used to train the shooter to use the trigger squeeze to hold the sight alignment, rather than deflect it.

To establish a good grip with a handgun, grasp the grips comfortably, and place enough pressure on the trigger to simulate tripping the hammer. Glance away and fully extend the arm. Look back at the gun and examine the sight alignment without allowing the gun to move. If the sights are off proper alignment, move the handgun in the hand until the sights are correct when restoring the view. Aligning the barrel in line with the forearm to "control recoil" is not effective, and invariably forces the shooter to move their wrist out of a relaxed position in order to achieve proper sight alignment. This forces the shooter to fight the body's natural tendencies in order to get good sight alignment, turning the body into a foe, rather than an ally.

The neck and shoulders are the pillars which support the arm. They contribute to a steady, relaxed position, holding the sight alignment before the eye in a position which delivers a steady, constant sight picture in relationship with the target shape. The development goal is bulk, not definition, as the strength is used to achieve steadiness. Strength exercises involving heavy loads, like rowing and lifting weights are useful here, as well as pushups. Exercises that mimic the raising of the pistol's weight to the ready position are helpful. Care must be taken not to develop bulk in the muscles in the forearm that run along the top of the arm when the pistol is held ready. This is the major contributor to sight wobble. Do not hold the arms raised for long periods, as this develops those muscles we don't want developed. Lower the arm again, shortly after achieving a steady ready position.

Legs and waist are best developed using exercises that develop their bulk. Running until your legs are tired, rowing, cycling, and stair climbing are all useful. Be careful not to strain the knees and ligaments around the knees, as serious injury can result. When running, use good footwear, which supports the ankles, and cushions the joints and long bones from repetitive impact injuries, including stress fractures. Good fit along the sole is important to preventing bad muscle development which contributes to backaches and joint problems. Sit-ups contribute to good stomach muscle tone, which promotes proper back curvature, and helps achieve a relaxed and comfortable posture when shooting for long periods, preventing backache.

When establishing a proper shooting position, turn partly toward the target with the pistol in a correct grip in a ready position. Look aside from the target (face forward), and point the pistol out into the most comfortable position. Look again at the pistol and judge the direction it is pointing with relationship to the target. Move both feet until the pistol points in the general direction of the target. Look away again and resume the most comfortable position. Look back and adjust the feet, not the arm, until the proper sight picture is achieved. Move the rear foot to correct up and down deviations. Pivot the front foot on the heel to correct left and right deviations, if they are small. Move the whole foot left and right if the deviations cannot be comfortably corrected by the pivot method. Look away again, and relax. Look back and make those minor corrections needed until the pistol points with a correct sight picture from a fully relaxed position. From this point do not change grip or foot position until the relay is completely fired. Preparation that allows you to reach needed magazines for reloading and tools for wiping the breech, if necessary, should be done before establishing position. Moving the feet or pistol in the grip will require performing the entire grip and position establishment procedure all over again, which may be impossible during the firing period.

Use this time to fully visualize each of the steps in sequence to loading, feeding, assuming the ready, acquiring the target and firing an "X", shot by shot. Breathing should be performed so that when the finger begins taking up the slack, the lungs are at the natural respiratory pause. This means that the shooter exhales to the point where they are fully relaxed, and no more air may be expelled without forcing. When the body is properly oxygenated and the exhalation is properly performed, this procedure relaxes the body to its ultimate, and prevents the shooter's pulse from disturbing the sight picture. Several shots may be fired before breathing becomes an insistent need, and a shooter in good cardiovascular condition may be able to fire an entire rapid fire string, or even an entire timed fire string completely relaxed on a single breath.

Proper grip and position stress using the body as an ally. Positions and grips are established so that the pistol points directly into the proper sight picture from the most comfortable and relaxed position, without having to fight to maintain alignment. Recoil and wind disturb the body, and the natural position returns the pistol onto the target without the need for conscious correction. The only conscious effort needed is that of recovery, to hasten repointing the pistol properly after recoil. The net dividend of all this exercise is to create and multiply useful time for the shooter, allowing a relaxed trigger squeeze with plenty of time for the shots to break naturally. A minimum of time is wasted on correcting position and sight picture. The result of ignoring these principles is usually a rushed shooter, who must rush the shots and ends up jerking the trigger, because they are running out of time which they wasted fighting the pistol onto the target.

Proper grip and position are described here, in the physical training section, because they are inseparable from that training; each discipline is part of the other discipline. The goals of all the physical training are useful only in that they contribute to proper grip and position, and permit the shooter with the needed endurance to shoot entire matches without tiring.

Mental preparation also goes together with physical training, because the mental state allows the proper employment of the physical abilities.

The value of mental training is that it allows the shooter to isolate themselves within a private bubble, separate from distraction, totally committed and fully aligned with the plan which consistently delivers perfect shots, every shot.

Concentration is the mental foundation of good marksmanship. Some of us can pick up a novel and immerse themselves totally in the characters and situations of the plot, completely oblivious to ringing phones, noisy traffic, low flying jets, and screaming children at play. This is a perfectly natural trait, and everyone possesses it. It is a skill that can be identified and practiced to perfection.

It depends completely on the ability of the practitioner to identify a train of thought that the practitioner wishes to concentrate upon to the exclusion of everything else. The practitioner must know enough about the sequence of thought so as not to need to exit the train of thought to the outside world in order to seek additional information. The practitioner must devoutly wish to follow the sequence with such a strong desire that no outside distraction can intrude into the sequence. The practitioner must find following the sequence so pleasurable that they don't want to leave the sequence for anything; not food, not drink, not sleep, and maybe not even sex. Obviously, the practitioner needs a truly strong commitment to achieve so strong and uninteruptible concentration. Obviously, there will be times when such concentration is difficult, even impossible.

When the needs of the body are strong, concentration is elusive; so satisfy the body's needs before attempting concentration. It is easier to concentrate when no distractions are present. The shooter should attempt to minimize distractions. The shooter should also understand that concentration in the absence of distractions is so much easier that little is gained from such practice. The exception is in the earlier stages of training, when the need for uninterrupted repetition is greater. The most effective environment for practicing concentration is one that is rich in distractions. Sharp, loud noises; bright intermittent flashes; vibrations and impacts that shake the bones to the core; all of these constitute a distraction rich environment. Concentration achieved under such conditions is the most effective and intense form. Conditions like these are actually much like those found on the shooting range.

Such concentration may bear resemblance to Zen, or be described as fugue; but is really a very simple and necessary thing. It is possible to overdo such concentration; as anyone who has failed to hear their wife calling for a hand in the kitchen while immersed in a book can testify to. The fact remains that the competitive shooting environment demands strong concentration.

Concentration is good, but we need something to concentrate on. Since concentration is a mental thing, it is better to visualize than look at pictures. Therefore, there are no pictures in this manual. We all know what our target pistols look and feel like. We can close our eyes and visualize loading a round into the magazine, then another round, and so on; until we have five, no more, no less. Close your eyes and visualize this sequence now. If it is not totally clear, practice this sequence sometime until you can do it with your eyes closed, but don't do it now. You have just practiced concentration on a sequence of steps we all need for shooting a perfect shot. Other visual pictures can be summoned from our memories, like the sight of the slow fire target at 25 yards, or the sights of our pistol, held in proper alignment. We can imagine the feel of the trigger and grip in our hands as we squeeze off a round without jerking the trigger. We can revisit the surprise that we felt the first time we correctly squeezed off a shot when the sights were perfectly aligned, and the sight picture was just right. We can clearly recall the pleasure we felt when we went up to the target and saw that perfect "X".

Each of these mental pictures, and those of all the other discrete and separate steps we need to perform in order to shoot a perfect string, can be visualized at any place and time, on or off the range. Developing a mental plan consists of identifying and assembling each and every one of these visions into a perfectly ordered sequence that will result in the firing of a perfect string of fire. Concentrating on this plan in the time between when we establish our grip and position, and the time the target turns, while getting our breathing set, is the act of defining our actions into an easily understood and achievable path to that perfect target. The sights, the sounds, the physical and emotional feelings, even the smells, can all be defined within our minds as very real parts of the sequence we must follow to shoot a perfect score. The more often and accurately we can retrace our steps in our minds, the easier the actual act becomes.

The remainder of preparing for perfection is simple. Find a context that allows practice with the help of a knowledgeable shooter for a coach. The best way is to join or form a team. Find a range where some serious shooters practice, and ask them for help. Once you have a coach, practice the exercises contained in this manual. Share the manual with your coach; you'll probably find that they've never seen anything like it. They may want to try out the exercises, themselves. Feel free to make copies, but remember, don't charge for them. The expensive part of the training is the commitment, anyway. Gung Ho, future champion!

Task/Exercise Notes

Group Shooting and Basic Pistol Marksmanship -
This exercise is a preliminary test to establish an initial measure of the shooter’s basic marksmanship skills. The skills being tested are sight alignment and trigger pull. The absence of a target center prevents distraction from the basic task at hand, and counts on the unconscious ability of the mind to direct the sight alignment into the center of the blank target. The first key point is that the shooter must be highly discriminating about their sight alignment. The front sight blade is the center of visual focus. It must be placed directly centered between the two sides of the rear sight notch, and the top of the blade must be exactly even in height with the top of the notch. The second key point is that the trigger pull must be correct. It must be totally smooth; with the steady increase of trigger pressure until the shot breaks without warning. If the shooter can maintain correct sight alignment while applying smoothly increasing trigger pressure, the shots will group tight and round. Conventional logic may cause the shooter to doubt this is true, but practice will prove this to be an effective exercise.

25 Yard Slow Fire Group Shooting -
This exercise is a mechanical task for the purpose of obtaining groups and moving these groups into the center of the aiming bull by adjusting the sights. The shooter learns at this point to develop a feel for the proper sight picture. There is also the requirement of establishing the sight adjustment data necessary to obtain centered groups with the particular firearm. Sight adjustment data should be recorded as the number of clicks up from zero, and the number of clicks left or right of the center mark on the sight mount. This data should be recorded for future reference in the shooter’s journal. This data should also include the serial number of the firearm, the scores obtained in every string fired, the distance fired, the timing of the string, and the light and wind conditions. The use of a journal allows the shooter to develop a sense of judgment about the conditions that affect their accuracy. It permits the shooter to recognize the corrections needed to their sight adjustment to meet any set of conditions they may encounter when shooting for score. The shooter should be able to set their sights properly at any time, regardless of the current settings. They could be changed out of their proper settings for any reason, including that of having many shooters share the same firearms.

Basic Marksmanship Test -
This exercise is a confidence builder. The skills required are all those needed to deliver perfect scores; proper grip, position, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, and trigger pull. The confidence to be gained by delivering a perfect score brings home to the shooter for the first time that perfection is an attainable and repeatable achievement.

Mental Program -
This exercise serves the purpose of developing within the shooter a mental sequence that associates the range commands with the sequence of physical operations that must be performed in order to deliver a perfect score. This mental program should be written down by the shooter in their own words to ensure that it is something that they totally understand. This written program should be posted in their shooting box in a position that is clearly visible from the ready position, so that it can serve the shooter as a constant reminder.

Timed Fire Group Shooting -
This exercise introduces two new factors into the shooter’s program; time limits and recovery. The imposition of a 5 shot in 20 seconds time limit forces the shooter to concentrate on sight alignment and trigger pull, while counting on the subconscious performance of the other skills; grip, position, and breathing. The absence of a target center removes the distraction of hunting for a sight picture, and places the emphasis back on sight alignment and trigger pull. The need for proper breath control brings home the requirement for good physical conditioning. The introduction of the time limit also establishes the need for concentration on pulling the firearm back to the proper position, rather than waiting for it to return naturally. This act of recovery increases the time the shooter has for applying a smooth trigger pull while holding a good sight alignment. This contributes to better accuracy and reduces the haste that leads to trigger jerk. The addition of time limits increases the overall stress placed on the shooter, and provides an incentive for increased concentration, reinforcing mental conditioning.

One-Shot Timed Fire Drills -
This exercise is strictly for the purpose of conditioning the shooter to deliver a quick and accurate first shot in a timed or rapid fire string, and perfecting the recovery task. The shooter should begin breathing deeply at the command “THE LINE IS READY!”. The shooter should raise the gun at the command “READY ON THE RIGHT?”, continuing the deep breathing cycle. They should concentrate on the picture of a perfect sight alignment, bringing the sights into a position that anticipates a perfect sight picture exactly where the target is expected to appear. At the command “READY ON THE LEFT?”, the shooter should be allowing their body to settle and relax, while focusing mentally in the picture of a perfect shot group. The shooter should let out their last breath, achieving a good natural respiratory pause, and at the command “READY ON THE FIRING LINE!, should begin a smooth increase of trigger pressure, focusing on the sight alignment, and waiting with infinite patience during the three second pause before the target turns. When the target finally turns, the shooter should continue the trigger pull and sight alignment so that the shot breaks as soon after the target turns as possible. The shooter should resist to natural tendency to shift their visual focus onto the target, which is moving, and concentrate their visual focus on the front sight blade. When the shot breaks, the shooter should allow the gun to recoil naturally, without physical resistance, and wait for it to stop its motion before beginning recovery. The recovery should be a natural, smooth effort to retrace the path of the gun back to a proper sight picture, without excessive effort that might cause the gun to overshoot its intended destination. The target faces the shooter for only three seconds. When the exercise has been repeated sufficiently, the shooter should be able to regain a proper sight picture after the shot breaks, just before the target turns away again. The shooter learns to settle down before the target turns, and to get the first shot off accurately and quickly, with good recovery, after the target faces the line. Then the shooter will have the maximum time possible and the proper preparation for firing the rest of the string under the best possible conditions; relaxed and concentrated on the basic shooting skills.

This exercise revisits the timed fire string with new insight and the added advantage of preparation that allows better use of the available time. This permits better concentration on the shooting basics, while allowing the shooter to practice siezing a good sight picture under difficult conditions. It presents an opportunity to achieve a perfect score under new, more stressful conditions; increasing the shooter’s confidence to a higher level once the difficulty level has been achieved.

Timed Fire Match Simulation -
This exercise places the shooter directly into a situation that exactly duplicates the stress and discipline of match competition. Once the shooter can master this exercise, they will understand that the match itself is identical to their practice experience. This forstalls the tendency to develop “Match Jitters”. These are caused by the conviction that the match itself is a strange and alien environment. It is no different from another practice string. The stresses of the match become a known challenge to the shooter, one that has already been mastered.

Timed Fire Match -
This exercise is the acid test for the shooter, the real thing. The results should at least duplicate those achieved in the match simulation. This exercise should provide the shooter with an opportunity to excel, and serve as a reinforcement of their confidence in their own abilities.

Rapid Fire Group Shooting -
This exercise reinforces the skills learned under the timed fire practice phase of training, forcing the shooter to step up the pace. By returning to the blank target, the task is simplified; allowing sight alignment and trigger pull to assume paramount importance. Recovery assumes greater priority, as does counting on the subconscious and practice to deliver the skills of grip, stance, and breathing. Recoil now presents the shooter with a significant challenge, pushing the shooter further out of position, and requiring the development of better balance and control of weight shift.

One Shot Rapid-Fire Drills
This exercise duplicates the timed fire one-shot drills with the difference that the target faces the shooter for only two seconds. The same skills must be perfect in only two-thirds the time. Recovery and control of balance become the new primary concerns. The stress level escalates to a new level.

This exercise puts it all together, allowing the shooter to practice the full set of skills on the target bull for the first time under the maximum stress. Successful mastering of this exercise provides the shooter with the opportunity to cement their confidence in their ability to achieve an acceptible score under the most stressful conditions. This confidence serves as the foundation from which the final push for perfection may be launched.

Rapid Fire Match Simulation -
This exercise allows the shooter to further build on their rapid fire skills, until it is demonstrated that perfect scores are possible under the most demanding conditions.

Rapid Fire Test -
This is the final exam in the rapid fire discipline. The shooter fires for score in exactly the same conditions they will encounter in competition.

Slow Fire Group Shooting -
This exercise introduces the shooter to the 50 Yard line. All the preceding exercises contribute to success at the greater distance. With practice, the shooter discovers that there is no great difference in shooting at the 50 Yard line; the same skills deliver the same accuracy. This lesson rounds out the shooter’s confidence level, removing the last obstacle to belief that shooting is a skill that can be mastered.

Slow Fire Match Simulation -
The slow fire match simulation provides the shooter with an opportunity to demonstrate their best performance. The 50 Yard line, while demanding, is also the stage where the shooter can most improve their scores. Most matches are won with the performance given in this stage. The shooter can take their time and practice their best marksmanship here; confidence gained in this exercise fills the final niche in the shooter’s mental foundation. From this point, continued practice serves the purpose of presentiing opportunities to set higher goals.

Slow Fire Test -
This exercise is the slow fire final examination. Here, the emphasis is to demonstrate excellence, and set the benchmark for best performance from which successive goals can be extended.

900 Aggregate Match Simulation -
This exercise combines all the phases of training into an opportunity where all of the skills contributing to good marksmanship may be demonstrated. This is the point where the decision is made on whether the shooter can progress to the next level of training. From this point the shooter goes on to another training cycle or returns to earlier training stages to correct deficiencies. If successful, the shooter may elect to start training with another of the three-gun firearms, or return to the beginning of the same training cycle while setting new, higher goals. Whichever choice is made, a milestone has been passed. This series of exercises is open ended, allowing the same shooter to continue progressing to higher levels of marksmanship excellence.

NRA 2700 Aggregate -
This exercise is the final exam in the three-gun discipline. All the skills with all the guns are demonstrated; a new starting point is established.

Just a couple of side notes:

In response to the OPs request of information of the fundementals of pistol marksmanship, I offered to send him the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide, That offer was not just for the OP but for anyone who wishes to learn the art of the pistol.

It's free as it was met to be when President Ike started the Armu Marksmanship Unit. I only ask that who ever I send it too passes it on to others.

I'm not saying Bullseye is the end all to pistol shooting. It does force you to use the Fundementals which are important regardless of what games you play with your pistol or revolver.

I always laugh when people condemn one handed pistol shooting.
Think about it, what cop does a building searh with two free hands? He normally has a flash light, mirror (for peaking around corners), door knob, or maybe holding a bandit while covering another bandit. Or a ticket book while walking up to a car. One needs to do most of his/her shooting with one hand. Also you need to practice with you weak hand. You should practice more with the weak hand then the strong hand.

As for the comments where one doen't need to shoot 50 or even 25 yards. I don't agree with that either. You blast away at 21 feet you get zerro feed back. At that range you have no idea what you are doing wrong. If you can hit at 25 or 50 yards you can hit at 21 feet. The reverse is not true.

If you carry a pistol or revolver for SD or on duty, shoot that pistol at Bullseye or any other matches you choose. I carry a 642, I practice bullseye with it. Do I shoot good scores? Hell No. But you should see what it does for me when I shoot at normal snub nose revolver ranges.

When I shoot ICORE matches I always pay to shoot a second gun and shoot the course with my 642, drawing from my pocket and loading loose rounds kept in another pocket. Granted my times suck, but I'm learning to shoot the little revolver that may one day be needed to protect my family.

I shoot steel matches and I don't do well, not because I cant shoot but because I refuse to see how fast I can miss. Just watch one of these matches, you see people with high cap mags seeing how fast they can pull the trigger, sure they are a lot faster then I am, but I don't have that many misses. In real life I'd rather take a spit second to get on the sights then try to explain where all those other bullets went.

When my pistol/revolver shooting starts to go south (and any shooting will go south if you don't pay attention), I re-read the Pistol Marksmanship Guide and go back to practicing my Bullseye. I also spend ten times more time dry firing then I do shooting.

The biggest problem with bullseye is it tells us we can't shoot for shit. It's our ego that keeps us from shooting bullseye. It makes us look bad. No body wants to shoot misses on a paper target when the world is watching so we move up to 15 or 21 feet and shoot telling our selves we know how.

Another little hint, score or data books are just as important in pistol/revolver shooting as they are in rifle shooting.

Regardless of your feelings on Bullseye shooting, get the Guide, read it when no one is looking, and just see if you might pick up a tip or two.

I shot bullseye in college for A&M. Its a great sport and very challenging. The biggest thing I took away from it was establishing NPA, trigger control, sight picture and accepting and forgetting about each shot after it was over. I am pretty sure that trigger control and sight picture play a significant role in any type of pistol shooting.

Kraig, there really isn't a more humbling feeling than shooting at bullseye matches and having your score posted on the electronic board over your head. Bullseye is a fun sport and it will definitely make you a better shot whenever you pick up a pistol regardless of what type of shooting you may be doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dadzic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I shoot pistols I found that right handed shooting is more comfortable and it's easy for me to aim with my left eye and shoot out of my right hand. I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with my poor performance? </div></div>

This is very likely part of your problem. Its an eye dominance problem that comes up a lot with people that are right or left eye dominant but opposite 'handed.' </div></div>

How about just put a blinder over or close your left eye...

Unless your vision is markedly better in your left eye than your right and your right is a serious detriment to your shooting, for static bullseye-type shooting sighting in a monocular fashion, supposed "eye dominance" has no relevance to your troubles.

Pistol is difficult. Very difficult. Single handed is even MORE difficult, mainly because it is hard to isolate your grip pressure from your trigger finger. All your life you have been gripping with all 4 fingers and a thumb. Now, with bullseye pistol you have to learn to grip with two fingers, your second and third, then relax your pinkie and thumb, then finally use your index finger in a precision fashion independently of the other 4 digits, while holding your wrist, elbow, shoulder and the rest of your entire body unchanged and with a specific pressure...

Talk about a rubbing belly and patting your head exercise.

Two handed is much much easier because you can isolate your real gripping pressure to your left hand, making trigger finger isolation much easier than shooting one handed.

If you can find a real precision pistol instructor in the area, I'd encourage that. Otherwise you'll just reinforce and learn bad habits.

Where are you located? If we can find a local club that shoots 50 foot indoor bullseye with 22s, you'll be way ahead to hook up with these folks.

EDIT TO ADD: I see you are in OshKosh, WI. There should be no shortage of bullseye shooters up in that area. I suggest you go to this RIFLE site and put a post up looking for some pistol help in your area. Someone will point you in the right direction. Many of us poor misguided rifle shooters have aspirations for two gold pins instead of just one.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be considered "Expert" with a pistol? 10 shots into under about 4" at 15 yards? </div></div>

id consider expert the whole magazine in one almost exact bullet size hole at 15 yards... i dont consider myself to be an expert and at 15 yards i can get 5 shots out of 10 in this pattern and the other 5 within half a bullets width of an exact hole. bassically a .200 inch group at 15 yards standing unsupported of course. this is with my Glock 23 (.40 S&W)

but that just means good trigger control... not an overall "expert" with a pistol.

EDIT: let me add that this would be much less difficult with a modified trigger... i shoot my pistol fit for a duty weapon which is the factory trigger. lighter the trigger the less impressive small groups will be. same as any firearm.

pretty good! But can you keep them sub moa at 1000 yards?
laugh.gif

I agree with alot of the post on here. I think starting close until you feel good with your pistol is great. Get to know the function of it early. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire ( i know some folk just threw up their moutns a little bit) but if your pistol is not made for that then you need a new one anyways! Also why not shoot with both eyes open? If you are just starting out it is a good time to not start a habit you may want to break later.

Just my own thoughts.
OW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pretty good! But can you keep them sub moa at 1000 yards?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

lol doubtful... the farthest ive ever attempted to shoot a pistol accurate was my friends duty weapon an H&K p2000 with a horrible trigger at 220 yards... groups were in the 1ft range. shot off my back. first time ever shooting that particular pistol though..

1 foot is incredible at that range.

At 100 yd standing on my hind legs - 2 handed grip- I can usually (over 50 Percent) hit a human sized steel plate. I think that is pretty good but I have seen much better.

Heres some one id consider a Pretty damn good shot.. a humble one aswell. not only does he do it standing up but his shots go where he wants. and just like our OP and myself he is a left eye dominant, right handed shooter. notice how he cheek welds his shoulder. no need to try and shoot a pistol with both eyes open or try switching to your other eye. living breathing example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This writer strongly recommends the “crush grip.” How hard do you hold the handgun? As hard as you can. It was once advised to intensify your grip until tremors set in, and then back off until they stopped. In the real world, under stress, there’s going to be some tremor anyway. Get used to it now. Hold the gun as tightly as you can and let it tremor.

The key is this: keep the sights straight in line. If the sights are in line, and the hand is quivering, the sights will quiver in the center of the target. When the shot breaks, the bullet will strike the center of the target. Once it has been center-punched, the target will neither know nor care that the launcher was quivering before the projectile took flight.</div></div>

i would not recommend this method especially if you plan to shoot more then a few magazines in a session. and deffinatly dont recommend you are gripping the gun so tightly that you have tremors if you want to shoot a handgun at longer ranges.

in an event that you are in fight or flight mode and shooting for your life you might end up doing this but i wouldnt train myself to do this. the same reason i wouldnt train myself to point and shoot(not look down the sights) at 20 yards even though in a fight for your life you might end up doing so.

the idea is to train yourself the "right way" as best you can so when your in panic mode more shit sticks to the wall when you need it to.

Thank you all for all your help. As for the eye dominance it's not really an issue because my vision in the right eye is pretty bad and aiming with it would not be possible for me (I keep both of my open when I shoot, but my left eye is without a doubt the dominant one). As of right now I will start with reading over the USAMU guide and other tips that you all have contributed. I'm also going to get a .22 target pistol within the next couple of months and try to find a coach. I'm not looking to become a pro, but since I have taken up shooting as my hobby might as well try to be the best I can be at it. Thanks again for all of your help, your input is much appreciated.

I will take a slightly different aproach. Check your area for USPSA matches and go. There you will find alot of people that are willing to help. They can also get you in touch with people to take classes from. To be honest start off with a class as soon as you can so you don't have to break bad habits. My son took a class from a local GM and by the end of it he moved from a 35% D class to a 58% C class in just 2 months and he only shoots 2 times a month. Like with anything practice is key and practice the right way is best.
I find that shooters are generally great people that are always willing to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An article once penned as an intro to the USMC Pistol Marksmanship Guide:

U. S. Marine Pistol Team

Guide
to Marksmanship
Marine Corps League Supplement

Presented By:
The Marine Corps League
Department of New Jersey
Shooting Activities Committee

Foreword

It is assumed that the reader of this edition is a Marine Corps Leaguer, and that the reader has acquired this manual to study the methods used by the Corps in teaching or improving the marksmanship skills of serving Marines. Most Marine Corps Leaguers were taught some form of familiarization with standard issue-type sidearms during their period of active service, and little more. Some readers may have actually qualified with service sidearms, attaining proficiency scores related to the military use of these sidearms. The exercises contained in this manual are for an entirely different purpose; that of marksmanship excellence for its own sake. They prepare the shooter for what is known in civilian life as Bull's-Eye shooting, a form of NRA-sponsored competition. The Marine Corps fosters this form of competition within its ranks. It maintains an establishment called the Marine Corps Teams, at MCCDC, Quantico; for the purpose of providing training and Intra-Corps Match Competition opportunities. Competitors who excel in these competitions are often invited to join the Teams, to develop their skills and allow them to compete in Inter-Service, National, and International Competition. Many of the basic skills used in this form of competition, and referred to in this edition, have changed in recent years. Readers must take this into account before making any assumptions about what specific terms mean, and how certain commonly used procedures are performed. Take the time to read the glossary, and fully understand the definitions.

Certain concepts must be mastered to permit developing the requisite skills.

The first and most important concept is that pistol marksmanship is a physical sport. Good health and fitness are directly related to success. Particular forms of exercise can be beneficial, and some of the physical techniques and goals are unrelated to other sports. Some commonly practiced or logically imagined physical exercises can be detrimental to good marksmanship performance. Understanding the body and how it works to deliver the motions and positions needed for good marksmanship is the key to employing one's body as an ally, rather than as a foe. Physical development must be directed toward this goal. Mental development is also necessary to success. The ability to screen one's environment; finding the factors needing to be concentrated upon, and excluding the distractions which reduce performance, is a key item leading to success. A mental program must be developed and followed to allow the shooter's body to perform reliably in delivering marksmanship excellence.

The second concept is that pistol marksmanship is a discipline, with particular methods and goals. As a discipline, it has specific rules and techniques. Once they are understood and mastered, these rules and techniques will inevitably contribute to the shooter's success. They form the means by which the shooter may extend their goals and improve their performance.

The third concept is that each shooter is an individual, learning and improving at their own individual pace. In seeking to improve performance, and achieve competitive success, the shooter must understand that their performance is a personal thing. The success with which they apply the rules and techniques to their own methods is directly related to their personal commitment and desire to excel in this sport. As individuals, each must accept that we all share in the physical and mental abilities required at different personal levels. Physical prowess and mental abilities serve us as tools in achieving our goals. They should be viewed as assisting, rather than limiting the shooter. Some shooters will find the tasks simple to understand and master, others will have difficulty. All will find that success is possible. With rare exception, perseverance will deliver whatever goals the shooter truly commits to achieving. Competitive shooting can be a lifelong commitment, and can result in unending improvement and satisfaction. No course of improvement is smooth and free from setbacks. Such setbacks should be viewed as further incentive to resolve the underlying problems. They should actually help the shooter, leading to a better understanding of techniques and result in a greater potential for success. There is no time when the potential for improvement is greater than when performance is at its worst; the only direction is up.

The fourth concept is that marksmanship skills are perishable. They must be practiced regularly and consistently, or they will desert the shooter. Marksmanship skills must become a regular part of the shooter's makeup; as normal and common skills as are walking and breathing. The point of training repetition is to make the basic component skills related to marksmanship excellence into ingrained habits. They can then be counted on to work consistently and effectively without conscious thought. Each exercise and drill that a shooter practices should be directed toward improving a single particular marksmanship skill. Any practice that is not performed in this manner serves no good purpose. What makes marksmanship excellence difficult at first is that the mind can only concentrate on a limited number of things at any given time. Attempting to perfect them all at once serves mostly to distract and confuse the shooter. They must each become unconscious habits, like maintaining balance or focusing one's vision on an object. Then the shooter can concentrate on the key components skills, sight alignment and trigger squeeze, and rely on their mind and body's inate ability to deliver the other necessary component skills consistently and without fail.

The final concept is that any shooter can be a winner. Success in this sport is directly related to commitment. Perfect scores are attainable, with persistence and practice. That they are not easily attained serves only to make them more satisfying when achieved. The difference between a shooter's current attainment and ultimate perfection stands as the measure of the potential for improvement. This difference is best dealt with as a pointer to where new goals should be set, forming milestones on the road to excellence. Any shooter can improve, and none need feel that perfection is something that is personally unattainable. History and the Corps have proved otherwise.

It is the purpose of this manual to show the way to personal excellence.

Preparing for Perfection

A successful shooter can look around at the others on the line, and recognize in those others those physical traits that contribute to good marksmanship. Each will be relaxed, having the strength that allows the shooter to hold a steady position for sufficient time without becoming tired. They will also have sufficient personal cardiovascular capacity to concentrate on shooting without becoming short of breath and unsteady, losing their concentration. Personal physical training must be designed to support these areas of physical performance.

Physical training must be built upon a foundation of good physical health. Anyone starting on a new regimen of physical training must first ensure that their basic health is good enough to permit such exertion without the risk of injury or dangerous cardiovascular distress. Like persons who choose to provide their own legal defense, persons who choose to be their own doctors have fools for clients. Get a good medical checkup from a reputable medical practitioner. Be sure that the doctor understands that you plan to enter physical training. If your physical condition is not good enough to permit strenuous exercise, follow your doctor's advice regarding how to improve your condition until the doctor clears you for strenuous physical training. If your health is not sufficiently important to you to ensure that you adhere to good medical practice, then your judgment is too poor to allow you to develop good shooting skills.

The foundation of good physical condition is good cardiovascular health. Your lungs and circulatory system will reflect your normal level of physical activity. Persons who are constantly physically active will have higher cardiovascular capacity than persons who lead a slow and sedentary existence. One might think that shooting is a sedentary sport; after all, we just stand on the line and point our firearms downrange, right? This is not so, as most shooters will find when they attempt to fire a rapid fire string. If your body has the ability to obtain, store, and distribute oxygen efficiently, you will find yourself just beginning to feel the need to breathe as the targets finally turn away. Otherwise, the need to breathe will become strong enough to distract the shooter from good sight alignment and trigger squeeze just at the moment when they have settled down and begun to achieve good timing and accuracy.

Aerobic training is a good means to achieve better cardiovascular capacity. The basis of aerobic training is to raise the heart rate to a controllably higher level for a specific period, and then back down to normal. This is done by steadily increasing physical exertion until a level physical plateau is settled upon, followed by a steady decrease of exertion, until the heart rate is normal again. Abrupt changes in physical exertion are disruptive of controllable heart rates, and can stress the cardiovascular system to dangerous levels. They must be avoided. The physical exercises that can be used to perform aerobic training are numerous. Such exercises may be varied often, if care is taken to monitor and control heart rates, keeping them within acceptable limits. These limits vary according to many factors, and each individual should seek out and use a set of limits that are tailored to their own physical capacity. Walking, jogging, stationary equipment, and calisthenics are all good aerobic exercises, when used with attention to heart rate.

Physical exercises also contribute to the individual body areas where physical strength is needed. The point of developing these specific areas of strength is not to develop rock hard muscles, providing immovable positions and unbreakable grips. It is to allow the shooter to assume and hold their positions steadily for long periods, without becoming tired and developing shake. The key concept is to turn the body into a steady and relaxed bulwark. It should be able to perform smoothly and reliably for as long as necessary. It should not desert the shooter before the work is done, distracting the shooter from achieving consistent accuracy. When properly developed, the body becomes an ally, rather than a foe. The areas where strength is needed are the hands and wrists, neck and shoulders, legs and waist. Good feet and footwear contribute by allowing the shooter to hold a steady position without developing backache.

There are two kinds of muscle development; that which contributes to bulk, and that which contributes to definition. Big, bulky muscles are strong and steady, and contribute by providing the structural pylons supporting the fine levers that perform steady movements. Finely defined muscles are easily distinguished from each other, and are strong and flexible cords that move the levers with precise control. Bulk is developed by stressing the muscles to their maximum force limits, forcing them to overcome those limits by growing. Definition is developed by repetition of smaller loads through limits of extension, forcing them to overcome those limits by becoming longer and more flexible.

Hands and wrists are developed to provide a steady and relaxed grip. The physical attributes of a good grip allow the shooter to hold the firearm with good sight alignment. A good grip is as relaxed as possible; steady and firm enough to control recoil and achieve recovery, and no stronger. The development goal is muscle definition, not bulk. Rock-like grips are tiring and unnecessary, and contribute to unconscious forces that push the sights out of alignment during trigger squeeze. The contribution of strength to accuracy is that it allows continued performance without tiring. Frequent repetitive squeezing exercises that exercise the entire hand are used to develop a good grip. Squeezing a tennis ball, or scissors-type spring grip can be useful; but fail to develop the strength and control of individual fingers. A better method is to use a gripmaster exerciser, which has individual buttons for each finger. Most good gun stores carry a model that has attachments which change the palm contour to resemble a pistol grip, and provide sights for practicing sight alignment and sight picture while exercising. They can even be used to train the shooter to use the trigger squeeze to hold the sight alignment, rather than deflect it.

To establish a good grip with a handgun, grasp the grips comfortably, and place enough pressure on the trigger to simulate tripping the hammer. Glance away and fully extend the arm. Look back at the gun and examine the sight alignment without allowing the gun to move. If the sights are off proper alignment, move the handgun in the hand until the sights are correct when restoring the view. Aligning the barrel in line with the forearm to "control recoil" is not effective, and invariably forces the shooter to move their wrist out of a relaxed position in order to achieve proper sight alignment. This forces the shooter to fight the body's natural tendencies in order to get good sight alignment, turning the body into a foe, rather than an ally.

The neck and shoulders are the pillars which support the arm. They contribute to a steady, relaxed position, holding the sight alignment before the eye in a position which delivers a steady, constant sight picture in relationship with the target shape. The development goal is bulk, not definition, as the strength is used to achieve steadiness. Strength exercises involving heavy loads, like rowing and lifting weights are useful here, as well as pushups. Exercises that mimic the raising of the pistol's weight to the ready position are helpful. Care must be taken not to develop bulk in the muscles in the forearm that run along the top of the arm when the pistol is held ready. This is the major contributor to sight wobble. Do not hold the arms raised for long periods, as this develops those muscles we don't want developed. Lower the arm again, shortly after achieving a steady ready position.

Legs and waist are best developed using exercises that develop their bulk. Running until your legs are tired, rowing, cycling, and stair climbing are all useful. Be careful not to strain the knees and ligaments around the knees, as serious injury can result. When running, use good footwear, which supports the ankles, and cushions the joints and long bones from repetitive impact injuries, including stress fractures. Good fit along the sole is important to preventing bad muscle development which contributes to backaches and joint problems. Sit-ups contribute to good stomach muscle tone, which promotes proper back curvature, and helps achieve a relaxed and comfortable posture when shooting for long periods, preventing backache.

When establishing a proper shooting position, turn partly toward the target with the pistol in a correct grip in a ready position. Look aside from the target (face forward), and point the pistol out into the most comfortable position. Look again at the pistol and judge the direction it is pointing with relationship to the target. Move both feet until the pistol points in the general direction of the target. Look away again and resume the most comfortable position. Look back and adjust the feet, not the arm, until the proper sight picture is achieved. Move the rear foot to correct up and down deviations. Pivot the front foot on the heel to correct left and right deviations, if they are small. Move the whole foot left and right if the deviations cannot be comfortably corrected by the pivot method. Look away again, and relax. Look back and make those minor corrections needed until the pistol points with a correct sight picture from a fully relaxed position. From this point do not change grip or foot position until the relay is completely fired. Preparation that allows you to reach needed magazines for reloading and tools for wiping the breech, if necessary, should be done before establishing position. Moving the feet or pistol in the grip will require performing the entire grip and position establishment procedure all over again, which may be impossible during the firing period.

Use this time to fully visualize each of the steps in sequence to loading, feeding, assuming the ready, acquiring the target and firing an "X", shot by shot. Breathing should be performed so that when the finger begins taking up the slack, the lungs are at the natural respiratory pause. This means that the shooter exhales to the point where they are fully relaxed, and no more air may be expelled without forcing. When the body is properly oxygenated and the exhalation is properly performed, this procedure relaxes the body to its ultimate, and prevents the shooter's pulse from disturbing the sight picture. Several shots may be fired before breathing becomes an insistent need, and a shooter in good cardiovascular condition may be able to fire an entire rapid fire string, or even an entire timed fire string completely relaxed on a single breath.

Proper grip and position stress using the body as an ally. Positions and grips are established so that the pistol points directly into the proper sight picture from the most comfortable and relaxed position, without having to fight to maintain alignment. Recoil and wind disturb the body, and the natural position returns the pistol onto the target without the need for conscious correction. The only conscious effort needed is that of recovery, to hasten repointing the pistol properly after recoil. The net dividend of all this exercise is to create and multiply useful time for the shooter, allowing a relaxed trigger squeeze with plenty of time for the shots to break naturally. A minimum of time is wasted on correcting position and sight picture. The result of ignoring these principles is usually a rushed shooter, who must rush the shots and ends up jerking the trigger, because they are running out of time which they wasted fighting the pistol onto the target.

Proper grip and position are described here, in the physical training section, because they are inseparable from that training; each discipline is part of the other discipline. The goals of all the physical training are useful only in that they contribute to proper grip and position, and permit the shooter with the needed endurance to shoot entire matches without tiring.

Mental preparation also goes together with physical training, because the mental state allows the proper employment of the physical abilities.

The value of mental training is that it allows the shooter to isolate themselves within a private bubble, separate from distraction, totally committed and fully aligned with the plan which consistently delivers perfect shots, every shot.

Concentration is the mental foundation of good marksmanship. Some of us can pick up a novel and immerse themselves totally in the characters and situations of the plot, completely oblivious to ringing phones, noisy traffic, low flying jets, and screaming children at play. This is a perfectly natural trait, and everyone possesses it. It is a skill that can be identified and practiced to perfection.

It depends completely on the ability of the practitioner to identify a train of thought that the practitioner wishes to concentrate upon to the exclusion of everything else. The practitioner must know enough about the sequence of thought so as not to need to exit the train of thought to the outside world in order to seek additional information. The practitioner must devoutly wish to follow the sequence with such a strong desire that no outside distraction can intrude into the sequence. The practitioner must find following the sequence so pleasurable that they don't want to leave the sequence for anything; not food, not drink, not sleep, and maybe not even sex. Obviously, the practitioner needs a truly strong commitment to achieve so strong and uninteruptible concentration. Obviously, there will be times when such concentration is difficult, even impossible.

When the needs of the body are strong, concentration is elusive; so satisfy the body's needs before attempting concentration. It is easier to concentrate when no distractions are present. The shooter should attempt to minimize distractions. The shooter should also understand that concentration in the absence of distractions is so much easier that little is gained from such practice. The exception is in the earlier stages of training, when the need for uninterrupted repetition is greater. The most effective environment for practicing concentration is one that is rich in distractions. Sharp, loud noises; bright intermittent flashes; vibrations and impacts that shake the bones to the core; all of these constitute a distraction rich environment. Concentration achieved under such conditions is the most effective and intense form. Conditions like these are actually much like those found on the shooting range.

Such concentration may bear resemblance to Zen, or be described as fugue; but is really a very simple and necessary thing. It is possible to overdo such concentration; as anyone who has failed to hear their wife calling for a hand in the kitchen while immersed in a book can testify to. The fact remains that the competitive shooting environment demands strong concentration.

Concentration is good, but we need something to concentrate on. Since concentration is a mental thing, it is better to visualize than look at pictures. Therefore, there are no pictures in this manual. We all know what our target pistols look and feel like. We can close our eyes and visualize loading a round into the magazine, then another round, and so on; until we have five, no more, no less. Close your eyes and visualize this sequence now. If it is not totally clear, practice this sequence sometime until you can do it with your eyes closed, but don't do it now. You have just practiced concentration on a sequence of steps we all need for shooting a perfect shot. Other visual pictures can be summoned from our memories, like the sight of the slow fire target at 25 yards, or the sights of our pistol, held in proper alignment. We can imagine the feel of the trigger and grip in our hands as we squeeze off a round without jerking the trigger. We can revisit the surprise that we felt the first time we correctly squeezed off a shot when the sights were perfectly aligned, and the sight picture was just right. We can clearly recall the pleasure we felt when we went up to the target and saw that perfect "X".

Each of these mental pictures, and those of all the other discrete and separate steps we need to perform in order to shoot a perfect string, can be visualized at any place and time, on or off the range. Developing a mental plan consists of identifying and assembling each and every one of these visions into a perfectly ordered sequence that will result in the firing of a perfect string of fire. Concentrating on this plan in the time between when we establish our grip and position, and the time the target turns, while getting our breathing set, is the act of defining our actions into an easily understood and achievable path to that perfect target. The sights, the sounds, the physical and emotional feelings, even the smells, can all be defined within our minds as very real parts of the sequence we must follow to shoot a perfect score. The more often and accurately we can retrace our steps in our minds, the easier the actual act becomes.

The remainder of preparing for perfection is simple. Find a context that allows practice with the help of a knowledgeable shooter for a coach. The best way is to join or form a team. Find a range where some serious shooters practice, and ask them for help. Once you have a coach, practice the exercises contained in this manual. Share the manual with your coach; you'll probably find that they've never seen anything like it. They may want to try out the exercises, themselves. Feel free to make copies, but remember, don't charge for them. The expensive part of the training is the commitment, anyway. Gung Ho, future champion!

Task/Exercise Notes

Group Shooting and Basic Pistol Marksmanship -
This exercise is a preliminary test to establish an initial measure of the shooter’s basic marksmanship skills. The skills being tested are sight alignment and trigger pull. The absence of a target center prevents distraction from the basic task at hand, and counts on the unconscious ability of the mind to direct the sight alignment into the center of the blank target. The first key point is that the shooter must be highly discriminating about their sight alignment. The front sight blade is the center of visual focus. It must be placed directly centered between the two sides of the rear sight notch, and the top of the blade must be exactly even in height with the top of the notch. The second key point is that the trigger pull must be correct. It must be totally smooth; with the steady increase of trigger pressure until the shot breaks without warning. If the shooter can maintain correct sight alignment while applying smoothly increasing trigger pressure, the shots will group tight and round. Conventional logic may cause the shooter to doubt this is true, but practice will prove this to be an effective exercise.

25 Yard Slow Fire Group Shooting -
This exercise is a mechanical task for the purpose of obtaining groups and moving these groups into the center of the aiming bull by adjusting the sights. The shooter learns at this point to develop a feel for the proper sight picture. There is also the requirement of establishing the sight adjustment data necessary to obtain centered groups with the particular firearm. Sight adjustment data should be recorded as the number of clicks up from zero, and the number of clicks left or right of the center mark on the sight mount. This data should be recorded for future reference in the shooter’s journal. This data should also include the serial number of the firearm, the scores obtained in every string fired, the distance fired, the timing of the string, and the light and wind conditions. The use of a journal allows the shooter to develop a sense of judgment about the conditions that affect their accuracy. It permits the shooter to recognize the corrections needed to their sight adjustment to meet any set of conditions they may encounter when shooting for score. The shooter should be able to set their sights properly at any time, regardless of the current settings. They could be changed out of their proper settings for any reason, including that of having many shooters share the same firearms.

Basic Marksmanship Test -
This exercise is a confidence builder. The skills required are all those needed to deliver perfect scores; proper grip, position, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, and trigger pull. The confidence to be gained by delivering a perfect score brings home to the shooter for the first time that perfection is an attainable and repeatable achievement.

Mental Program -
This exercise serves the purpose of developing within the shooter a mental sequence that associates the range commands with the sequence of physical operations that must be performed in order to deliver a perfect score. This mental program should be written down by the shooter in their own words to ensure that it is something that they totally understand. This written program should be posted in their shooting box in a position that is clearly visible from the ready position, so that it can serve the shooter as a constant reminder.

This exercise introduces two new factors into the shooter’s program; time limits and recovery. The imposition of a 5 shot in 20 seconds time limit forces the shooter to concentrate on sight alignment and trigger pull, while counting on the subconscious performance of the other skills; grip, position, and breathing. The absence of a target center removes the distraction of hunting for a sight picture, and places the emphasis back on sight alignment and trigger pull. The need for proper breath control brings home the requirement for good physical conditioning. The introduction of the time limit also establishes the need for concentration on pulling the firearm back to the proper position, rather than waiting for it to return naturally. This act of recovery increases the time the shooter has for applying a smooth trigger pull while holding a good sight alignment. This contributes to better accuracy and reduces the haste that leads to trigger jerk. The addition of time limits increases the overall stress placed on the shooter, and provides an incentive for increased concentration, reinforcing mental conditioning.

One-Shot Timed Fire Drills -
This exercise is strictly for the purpose of conditioning the shooter to deliver a quick and accurate first shot in a timed or rapid fire string, and perfecting the recovery task. The shooter should begin breathing deeply at the command “THE LINE IS READY!”. The shooter should raise the gun at the command “READY ON THE RIGHT?”, continuing the deep breathing cycle. They should concentrate on the picture of a perfect sight alignment, bringing the sights into a position that anticipates a perfect sight picture exactly where the target is expected to appear. At the command “READY ON THE LEFT?”, the shooter should be allowing their body to settle and relax, while focusing mentally in the picture of a perfect shot group. The shooter should let out their last breath, achieving a good natural respiratory pause, and at the command “READY ON THE FIRING LINE!, should begin a smooth increase of trigger pressure, focusing on the sight alignment, and waiting with infinite patience during the three second pause before the target turns. When the target finally turns, the shooter should continue the trigger pull and sight alignment so that the shot breaks as soon after the target turns as possible. The shooter should resist to natural tendency to shift their visual focus onto the target, which is moving, and concentrate their visual focus on the front sight blade. When the shot breaks, the shooter should allow the gun to recoil naturally, without physical resistance, and wait for it to stop its motion before beginning recovery. The recovery should be a natural, smooth effort to retrace the path of the gun back to a proper sight picture, without excessive effort that might cause the gun to overshoot its intended destination. The target faces the shooter for only three seconds. When the exercise has been repeated sufficiently, the shooter should be able to regain a proper sight picture after the shot breaks, just before the target turns away again. The shooter learns to settle down before the target turns, and to get the first shot off accurately and quickly, with good recovery, after the target faces the line. Then the shooter will have the maximum time possible and the proper preparation for firing the rest of the string under the best possible conditions; relaxed and concentrated on the basic shooting skills.

This exercise revisits the timed fire string with new insight and the added advantage of preparation that allows better use of the available time. This permits better concentration on the shooting basics, while allowing the shooter to practice siezing a good sight picture under difficult conditions. It presents an opportunity to achieve a perfect score under new, more stressful conditions; increasing the shooter’s confidence to a higher level once the difficulty level has been achieved.

Timed Fire Match Simulation -
This exercise places the shooter directly into a situation that exactly duplicates the stress and discipline of match competition. Once the shooter can master this exercise, they will understand that the match itself is identical to their practice experience. This forstalls the tendency to develop “Match Jitters”. These are caused by the conviction that the match itself is a strange and alien environment. It is no different from another practice string. The stresses of the match become a known challenge to the shooter, one that has already been mastered.

Timed Fire Match -
This exercise is the acid test for the shooter, the real thing. The results should at least duplicate those achieved in the match simulation. This exercise should provide the shooter with an opportunity to excel, and serve as a reinforcement of their confidence in their own abilities.

This exercise reinforces the skills learned under the timed fire practice phase of training, forcing the shooter to step up the pace. By returning to the blank target, the task is simplified; allowing sight alignment and trigger pull to assume paramount importance. Recovery assumes greater priority, as does counting on the subconscious and practice to deliver the skills of grip, stance, and breathing. Recoil now presents the shooter with a significant challenge, pushing the shooter further out of position, and requiring the development of better balance and control of weight shift.

One Shot Rapid-Fire Drills
This exercise duplicates the timed fire one-shot drills with the difference that the target faces the shooter for only two seconds. The same skills must be perfect in only two-thirds the time. Recovery and control of balance become the new primary concerns. The stress level escalates to a new level.

This exercise puts it all together, allowing the shooter to practice the full set of skills on the target bull for the first time under the maximum stress. Successful mastering of this exercise provides the shooter with the opportunity to cement their confidence in their ability to achieve an acceptible score under the most stressful conditions. This confidence serves as the foundation from which the final push for perfection may be launched.

Rapid Fire Match Simulation -
This exercise allows the shooter to further build on their rapid fire skills, until it is demonstrated that perfect scores are possible under the most demanding conditions.

Rapid Fire Test -
This is the final exam in the rapid fire discipline. The shooter fires for score in exactly the same conditions they will encounter in competition.

Slow Fire Group Shooting -
This exercise introduces the shooter to the 50 Yard line. All the preceding exercises contribute to success at the greater distance. With practice, the shooter discovers that there is no great difference in shooting at the 50 Yard line; the same skills deliver the same accuracy. This lesson rounds out the shooter’s confidence level, removing the last obstacle to belief that shooting is a skill that can be mastered.

Slow Fire Match Simulation -
The slow fire match simulation provides the shooter with an opportunity to demonstrate their best performance. The 50 Yard line, while demanding, is also the stage where the shooter can most improve their scores. Most matches are won with the performance given in this stage. The shooter can take their time and practice their best marksmanship here; confidence gained in this exercise fills the final niche in the shooter’s mental foundation. From this point, continued practice serves the purpose of presentiing opportunities to set higher goals.

Slow Fire Test -
This exercise is the slow fire final examination. Here, the emphasis is to demonstrate excellence, and set the benchmark for best performance from which successive goals can be extended.

900 Aggregate Match Simulation -
This exercise combines all the phases of training into an opportunity where all of the skills contributing to good marksmanship may be demonstrated. This is the point where the decision is made on whether the shooter can progress to the next level of training. From this point the shooter goes on to another training cycle or returns to earlier training stages to correct deficiencies. If successful, the shooter may elect to start training with another of the three-gun firearms, or return to the beginning of the same training cycle while setting new, higher goals. Whichever choice is made, a milestone has been passed. This series of exercises is open ended, allowing the same shooter to continue progressing to higher levels of marksmanship excellence.

NRA 2700 Aggregate -
This exercise is the final exam in the three-gun discipline. All the skills with all the guns are demonstrated; a new starting point is established.
</div></div>

Greg,

i am nominating you for the logest post award. Good info though.

I'm far from any type of expert but have shot around a lot of very good handgun shooters and tried to learn all I can from them. I tend to focus on the long range high precision branch of handgun shooting but the basics will apply to all of the handgun disciplines. Hopefully I can pass along a bit of what I've learned to help you get started down the right path.

Your initial post was kinda vague on what you wish to accomplish shooting a pistol. There are so many different types of handguns designed for different types of uses and competition. Probably one of the most disciplined is the one handed bullseye shooting, Action style shooting with a semiauto is a totally different type and takes a totally different way of holding the gun. Using a large bore handgun for hunting is again different as is the way the silhouette shooters hold their handguns and also the types they use. Then there is the ultra long range shooters using a bolt action pistol using rifle cartridges that again is totally different .

But, the one thing they all have to develop is perfect trigger and grip control. I am also left eye dominate but do close my right eye when shooting and it hasn't affected me so far. If you wish to see how trigger control affects your sight alignment when it goes off get a double action revolver, line up on a small dot on the wall and cycle thru it double action and watch how the sights are pulled off. That practice there will really help you squeeze off your shots an any other type of pistol shooting you do. Even the old tried and true having a friend load or NOT your pistol with a live round and handing it to you for your next shot is a big eye opener. You HAVE to squeeze every shot or it'll sure show up in any movement off the target with the big FLINCH showing up big time when the hammer falls.

When I started experimenting with really stretching out my Freedom Arms 44 mag to 500 yards even the slightest different in one of my fingers applying pressure to the grip would really affect the accuracy. Handguns are very tempermental to grip and trigger control. Your wrist having the same tension is very important. If you have a 22 semi spend a lot of time with that in controlled firing at a very small target at 25 yards and tighten that group up. That lil 22 semi is plenty accurate off a rest to hit a 10" circle at 200 yards if you do it right. As you get better groupings move the target farther away and keep working on your accuracy. Practice practice and more practice in controlled sessions is the key. If you have someone that is a good pistol shot watch and offer tips it will help also.

The local bullseye shooters that usually shoot thru the winter months would be a good spot to frequent and they would be happy to offer tips. They are the pros for doing it right for precision. I've never been any good at the action style matches but I think that is too many years of precision and long range matches and getting past that slow controlled squeeze. I've always been impressed watching the action guys mow thru the targets but I enjoy hearing that distant ring of steel or a clean kill on my prey.

Good luck, I think you'll find the pistol shooting very challenging. They are very accurate farther than most would like to believe as I'm sure you'll find as you progress through your learning curve. I like to kid my rifle shooting buds, heck it's only 1000 yards why do I need a rifle?

Topstrap

all shooting disciplines have basically the same basics, trigger control, sight picture, and consistency. Thats why you see guys at the top of one sport generally can be very competitive in other disciplines. get a .22 and shoot thousands of rounds. shoot NRA bullseye, then when you get to where you feel you will either have to drop alot of money or quit your day job to get any better, go into USPSA or IPSC, thats what I did. Even though I've been out of the competitive handgun arena for several years, I still find people at the range ask me for help, or to shoot their gun and make sure it's not a mechanical problem as to why they can't hit anything.

As far as the "crush grip" argument I put about 80% of the pressure with my off hand in a 2 hand shooting scenario. that leaves your trigger finger loose for firing fast, with little lateral or horizontal movement during trigger pull (press). now when I shot bulseye, there was no offhand so that requires some different techniques. I probably practice 50% 2 handed 25% strong hand only, 25% weak hand only. I never practice 2 handed weak hand dominant. I never saw the point when I can shoot damn good weak handed only (close my dominant eye and use only my weak eye too, wierd at first but my scores improved drastically)

it's all about QUALITY rounds on paper. I've broken every part but the frame, slide and barrel in a STI and wore out the same in a Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless. Thats alot of hard rounds. But my ruger mark 2 is still going strong. Good luck, I wish you lived closer I'd take you to the range and help you as much as I could. I've trained up 2 or 3 of my coworkers from range newbies to halfway decent/efficient/practical shooters.

I guess it would be time for an update. I read over the USAMU guide and it helped a lot. Amazing how a few fundamental corrections can lead to such major improvement. I bought a Smith&Wesson 22A and so far have over $500 rounds through it. I know that is not a lot at all, but this is my last semester of college so school is priority right now. However, this summer I plan on devoting to honing my shooting skills, and if I'm lucky find a coach. Thanks for all your help, now at 25yds I'm right on target. Still not anywhere near perfect but I improved drastically. In fact, my buddy said he will finally sit down and read the USAMU since it helped me so much.

Good to hear. I always like hearing someone coming back with an update of successful progression.

Good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be considered "Expert" with a pistol? 10 shots into under about 4" at 15 yards? </div></div>

id consider expert the whole magazine in one almost exact bullet size hole at 15 yards... i dont consider myself to be an expert and at 15 yards i can get 5 shots out of 10 in this pattern and the other 5 within half a bullets width of an exact hole. bassically a .200 inch group at 15 yards standing unsupported of course. this is with my Glock 23 (.40 S&W)

but that just means good trigger control... not an overall "expert" with a pistol. </div></div>

Sorry, but your talking complete and utter bullshit. Please don't mislead an inexperienced shooter with unrealistic expectations. This is not the forum to get away with massive exaggerations. First, the absolute best pistol money can buy, handbuilt and tuned by a competent smith will be expected to shoot around 1.5 inches at 50 yards, from a MACHINE rest. Some will shoot slightly better, into an inch. That same gun, in a machine rest, will shoot roughly 1/3 that size group at 50 feet. That is a group roughly 1/2 at 50 feet, or roughly twice the size of a SINGLE bullet hole from a .45. That from a gun that costs 4k. A $500 Glock? Sorry, that's a pistol that will, from a machine rest, shoot a 6 inch group at 50 yards. Working back to 50 feet, that's a 2
inch group. 2 inch groups from a combat pistol from
50 feet, unsupported, is GREAT shooting. Can some Glocks shoot slightly better? Sure, I have a Glock 21 that I can, at best, keep inside about 1.5 inches at 50 feet, with handloads, a heavily modified trigger and precision aftermarket sights. Shooting a glock, any Glock, into a single hole barely over the width of the bullet is not gonna happen at 50 feet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: meta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be considered "Expert" with a pistol? 10 shots into under about 4" at 15 yards? </div></div>

but that just means good trigger control... not an overall "expert" with a pistol. </div></div>

Sorry, but your talking complete and utter bullshit. Please don't mislead an inexperienced shooter with unrealistic expectations. This is not the forum to get away with massive exaggerations. First, the absolute best pistol money can buy, handbuilt and tuned by a competent smith will be expected to shoot around 1.5 inches at 50 yards, from a MACHINE rest. Some will shoot slightly better, into an inch. That same gun, in a machine rest, will shoot roughly 1/3 that size group at 50 feet. That is a group roughly 1/2 at 50 feet, or roughly twice the size of a SINGLE bullet hole from a .45. That from a gun that costs 4k. A $500 Glock? Sorry, that's a pistol that will, from a machine rest, shoot a 6 inch group at 50 yards. Working back to 50 feet, that's a 2
inch group. 2 inch groups from a combat pistol from
50 feet, unsupported, is GREAT shooting. Can some Glocks shoot slightly better? Sure, I have a Glock 21 that I can, at best, keep inside about 1.5 inches at 50 feet, with handloads, a heavily modified trigger and precision aftermarket sights. Shooting a glock, any Glock, into a single hole barely over the width of the bullet is not gonna happen at 50 feet.

</div></div>

I wouldn't make that statement based on what is legally a pistol. There are many types and some will and can compete with rifles based on the "legal" description of a pistol. There are also some revolvers that will amaze you at very long distances. The combat type of semi-autos aren't as accurate as an expensive revolver and they aren't as accurate as a some break open single shots and they aren't as accurate as a bolt action single shot. I've seen some amazing groups by some very skilled pistol shooters but the group we hang with have all competed at long distances with all types of pistols. Maybe some do stretch the truth but some also do not.

Pistols of any type are more difficult than most rifles to learn to shoot well but it can be done. There are many types of pistol shooting, not all is the fast action IPSC type at closer distances. Metalic Silhouette has been around since the early 70's and even now they are used for 1000 yard matches by some. Granted they aren't the regular semiauto but I still wouldn't say that excellent accuracy isn't capable at much farther distances than most give them credit for.

Back to the OP, you might start off shooting from a rest to learn proper grip and trigger control. Getting those groups down into a tight cluster off a bag or rest will help develop good technique and help build confidence. Then move on to offhand and move targets farther away and smaller as you improve. Hard to tell what bad habits you have when trying to do it the hardest way right off. It takes a bit of time but good practice does pay off. I am also right handed but shoot pistols using my left eye, also lets me lay my head down over against my shoulder a bit. That isn't the correct way to do it for action shooting but for long range accuracy it works for me.

What is an expert? No idea but I'm guessing it's something we all strive for all our lives and when we get there we don't realize it or even care we finally achieved it.

Topstrap

dadzic,

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your success! Check with your local ranges for Bullseye comps. Our range sponsors a 2700 once a month, and allows shooters to slip in and shoot a 900 if limited to a .22.

kraigWY (and the others),

Good show regarding the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide! When I first got into Bullseye (well before the internet), the man that got me interested gave me a paper copy of "The Guide". The original is well worn now and I keep it as a reminder and a reference. I found the pdf and also pass the file on when teaching new shooters.

As an "old pro" told me: "It's easy . . . nothin' to it. Align the sights and target, and squeeze the trigger".

Kevin

dadzic, congratulations on your bullseye progress. One-handed pistol requires serious dedication and practice.

There are some other bullseye resources out there including target talk bullseye forums and the Bullseye-L archives.

The CMP video sets are also a wonderful resource.

Bullseye is tough. Pistol improvement will definitely make you a better rifle shot.

One way I trained myself on moving out to further distances was to start in the 15-20 yard range and shoot 3 shot groups until I was happy with my grouping.

Was I was satisfied with this, I would keep moving back 5-6 steps at a time, and shoot. I would do this until I got back around the 40-50 yard range.

Granted, it did take a few boxes of WWB 9mm for my Beretta, but you cant get better without shooting more more more and more.