• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Grendel variant barrels

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Looking to get either a 6mm Grendel or a 224 Grendel barrel. Only place I'm seeing is BHW and precision firearms.

I already have 2 6br barrels, so leaning a little more towards a 224 Grendel. That being said, is the 22 arc the same thing as a 224 Grendel?

Any suggestions on where I can get a 6 or 3#3 Grendel barrel?

Good luck on the 6 Grendel. BHW, X Caliber, McGowen and quite a few others offered it but seem to be transitioning to 6 ARC. Which is basically the same thing. They may still have the reamers to do it but they aren't a regular item last I looked.
    I'm guessing 22ARC will kill off all the 22 Grendel offerings. Again, it's basically the same thing, so I get it.
    Be aware of all the different names the Grendel variants use, it can make it confusing to find them.

Good luck on the 6 Grendel. BHW, X Caliber, McGowen and quite a few others offered it but seem to be transitioning to 6 ARC. Which is basically the same thing. They may still have the reamers to do it but they aren't a regular item last I looked.
    I'm guessing 22ARC will kill off all the 22 Grendel offerings. Again, it's basically the same thing, so I get it.
    Be aware of all the different names the Grendel variants use, it can make it confusing to find them.
    Good info! Thanks. I think I read the 22 ARC is a 224 Grendel but with SAMMI approval? Also, you're right about the amount of variants. 6 Grendel, turbo, fat rat, predator etc. it is very confusing. I did see a guy has an entire page dedicated to the 6mm fat rat. Barrels, dies etc. might go 22 ARC route. I just like the allure of the Grendel. Too bad.

The Turbos and Fat Rats aren't quite straight 6mm Grendels, think of them like Ackley Improved variants.

As far as the ARC's superseding the Grendels, I wouldn't sweat it. I see guys complaining that 6 ARC lost .03 shoulder to the Grendel, but when I see data here guys are shooting the same bullets, powders and speeds with ARC that I am with 6G. So the slight difference exists more on paper than in reality.

My understanding of 22ARC is that it is exactly an approved 22G.

The Turbos and Fat Rats aren't quite straight 6mm Grendels, think of them like Ackley Improved variants.

As far as the ARC's superseding the Grendels, I wouldn't sweat it. I see guys complaining that 6 ARC lost .03 shoulder to the Grendel, but when I see data here guys are shooting the same bullets, powders and speeds with ARC that I am with 6G. So the slight difference exists more on paper than in reality.

My understanding of 22ARC is that it is exactly an approved 22G.
    Damn, I thought that the 22 arc had lost the same 0.030” as the 6 arc. I just pulled up the Saami drawings and you are right. It has the same length to the 0.350 datum line as the 6.5 grendel.

Now I’m going to need to buy some 22 arc ammo, measure it, compare it to my 224 predator (grendel), and (hopefully) fire it out of my gun.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
    I have had a 6 FR barrel sitting on my bench for a year waiting to get installed. One of these days when my crazy life slows down, I'll slap it on there and give you some feedback. It is replacing a 22 Grendel barrel that was a failed.project.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I have had a 6 FR barrel sitting on my bench for a year waiting to get installed. One of these days when my crazy life slows down, I'll slap it on there and give you some feedback. It is replacing a 22 Grendel barrel that was a failed.project.
    Sounds good, look forward to it!