• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help with Grip Selection - DPMS LR-308

lash

Swamp Rat
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
Okay, so I searched for a while, but am not that conversant with this site's search function yet, so no answers found.

This is my first black rifle and I am wanting to get into longer range shooting, primarily target/casual competition. An ergonomic issue for me is the pistol grip supplied from DMPS. It is too small for me, doesn't fill my hand and causes my trigger finger to be in the wrong place for a proper squeeze.

So I did some searching to see what options there are to replace it with something different, preferably better for my needs. No surprise to most of you, but there are many, many choices. I need some opinions, and facts too, to help me decide before I start buying and wasting time and money.

Here are the choices I found with a quick search:

- Magpul MIAD (grip wedge required for 308 lower) - $30-35
- Magpul MOE - $20
- LaRue APEG - $28
- Falcon Industries ERGO - $25
- Falcon Industries ERGO w/shelf - $45
- DPMS Panther Tactical - $30
- Mission First G27 - $20
- Sierra Precision SPR - $25

Added, from comments in thread below:
- Falcon Industries ERGO Tactical - $30-35
- BCM Gunfighter, Mod 0 / Mod 1 - $39
-

This list doesn't include standard grips, it is by no means complete, and I'm not sure if all of the above are usable on a 308 lower. Here's where I could use your help.

1) What are your personal experiences with any of the above (or other) grips?

2) How do these feel in your firing hand? Consider comfort for shooting long periods of time.

3) What do you have now? And what would you buy today if you were in my situation?

4) Do all of these easily fit to the 308 lower or do they require modification/extra pieces?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Re: Help with Grip Selection - DPMS LR-308

The ones I've tried are the Magpul MOE, Falcon Ergo and Falcon Ergo Tactical Deluxe AR-10. The MOE is nice and I like the storage compartment but I went with the standard Ergo grip on my AR15 mostly because I like their sure grip texture. The MOE is still a tad slick at least for my liking. Since I like the standard Ergo on my AR15 I dedicated to go with the Ergo tactical deluxe on my AR10 platform. I wear a XL or XXL glove so the bigger size of the tactical deluxe is perfect for me on the larger AR10 platform. It gets my finger on the trigger nice and square
Heres the best pic I have of it right now...no spacers needed that I could see.
1349676107_zpsf56426b5.jpg

Standard Ergo ^ same one i have, full hand size and not plastic hard - just a tiny soft feel

I would finds gunshot and try them all. I have ergo's and I like the stickiness. However, I am happy with the magpul MIAD also.

I also went with the ergo and love it, especially compared to the standard grip. No spacer or modification to the grip or receiver was required. However, I also replaced the slotted head screw- that held the grip in place- with a hex head screw to make removal and installation easier.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! It looks right now that the ERGO grip has the most nods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The DudeLV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ones I've tried are the Magpul MOE, Falcon Ergo and Falcon Ergo Tactical Deluxe AR-10. The MOE is nice and I like the storage compartment but I went with the standard Ergo grip on my AR15 mostly because I like their sure grip texture. The MOE is still a tad slick at least for my liking. Since I like the standard Ergo on my AR15 I dedicated to go with the Ergo tactical deluxe on my AR10 platform. I wear a XL or XXL glove so the bigger size of the tactical deluxe is perfect for me on the larger AR10 platform. It gets my finger on the trigger nice and square
Heres the best pic I have of it right now...no spacers needed that I could see.
1349676107_zpsf56426b5.jpg
</div></div>

Dude LV,
Is that the ERGO Tactical in the pic or the standard ERGO? (edit) Never mind, I see that it is the Tactical. (edit)

Oh, and nice rig you have there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would finds gunshot and try them all. I have ergo's and I like the stickiness. However, I am happy with the magpul MIAD also. </div></div>
Good idea, but I haven't found a local shop here that carries more than one type and my time off is very limited so I don't have hours and hours to run around looking for shops that have them in stock.

I suspect that when all is said and done, that I'll end up with more than one type, but hopefully everyone's feedback here will save me at least a bit of experimentation time and $.

i've had the MOE+ and MOE grips, as well as the Hogue overmold grip. i'm still wearing the Hogue grip, but i don't like it (i gave the Magpul grips to a couple buddies). i'm thinking i'll go with a BCM grip. i really like that one. mind you, this is on an ar-15, i'm not sure if they fit on the DPMS LR308 riffle

So, from what I can tell the regular ERGO should work well for a regular to large hand. Some say that the EDGO Deluxe fits an XL hand better, but might be too big for a large hand. Any experience or opinions on this?

I have the larger deluxe ergo on my rifle in the pic above. I like it on my larger frame AR10 as it lets me grab a handful and get comfortable and good trigger finger alignment for a nice straight to the rear trigger press. However I think it would be too much for a smaller AR15 which is why I run the standard ergo on that...standard one just feels more maneuverable.

I have run a shoebox full of grips. I use the Ergo Tactical Delux on any precision rifle that accepts an AR grip. I got hooked on them when I shot the XLR Evolution. The grip even comes standard on the CADEX Strike 30.

HOWEVER, grips are a very personal thing. I don't think you can pin a hand size to a grip. Even my wife likes the ERGO Tactical Delux and she has considerably smaller hands than me.

http://youtu.be/ZI4dDygqg2k

Ergo had one on my SPR in A stan for a year and loved it. Love the grip and how it filled the hand and allowed a good 90 degree trigger pull.
Also one thing about the magpul grips it doesn't take much to wear the grippiness of the hard plastic smooth and then you end up with a slippery grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Just buy 2-3 whatever you don't like gets ebayed you won't lose much maybe 20$ at the most.</div></div>

No doubt, that's what will ultimately happen...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have run a shoebox full of grips. I use the Ergo Tactical Delux on any precision rifle that accepts an AR grip. I got hooked on them when I shot the XLR Evolution. The grip even comes standard on the CADEX Strike 30.

HOWEVER, grips are a very personal thing. I don't think you can pin a hand size to a grip. Even my wife likes the ERGO Tactical Delux and she has considerably smaller hands than me.

http://youtu.be/ZI4dDygqg2k</div></div>
Appreciate the input.

Actually I appreciate everyone's input, as I am getting a good feel (so to speak) for what I'll be doing.