• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with h5010 powder

mlturner265

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2012
Tennessee
I have come into possession of 8lbs of h5010 powder and not sure about what can be reloaded with it. I can't seem to find any reloading data on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help with h5010 powder

PO Ackley used it in a 300 Ackley IMP,but for the life of me I could not get the same charge he stated into my case ( 300 Ackley IMP )so I pulled away from useing it.Like the other guy said its a BIG BOY powder.Matbe a 338 or other in the same class but nothing else comes to mind.

gotta stump to remove even a big rock

Thanks for the replies. I got the powder in a lot of reloading supplies I got from a storage unit that went unpaid. I found reloading dies for 30-378 weatherby 8mm mag and 338mag. The powder could have possibly been used to load those but cant find anything to confirm that or any data for it at all. It does say produced to military specs but looks packaged for civilian use. I wonder if I called hodgdon they might give some info.

An update on h5010 powder. I called Hodgdon and they told me it was manufactured for the military to be used basically in the 50cal. It is a very slow burning powder and it was last manufactured probably 25 years ago or longer. They also said it could have been produced during WWII or Korea. They also said to check for a rust color on powder or strong ammonia smell and if it has either to burn or scatter out on ground because there is a slight possibility of self ignition.

Have played with it in my .300 rum for a few years. Makes for cheap shootin with factory second Matchkings. Accuracy is not bad, but velocity is low with a full case.

I've seen this chart for surplus powders. Haven't tested any of the loads myself so use at your own risk. With 5010 in magnum cases you will get less than normal velocity with a case full of powder. This chart lists loads for 7MM Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag with 5010: ( sorry that the chart is sideways and you'll have to enlarge it to read)
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/medalguy/powder%20chart/scanpowderchart_0001.jpg

The man I talked to at the factory basically told me the same thing about inconsistent velocities with big magnum cases filled to the max. I guess thats why he said its only real use is in the 50bmg.