• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with magnification choice...

Amerigo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
UT
I just bought a Rem 700 SPS Varmit and need help with scope selection, specifically the magnification. I don't do any hunting. This will be used on paper and steel targets hopefully out to 800+ meters (as far as I can take it). I'd also love to compete one day.

I have read tons of posts here about scopes, and people have sold me on the Viper PST. I'm debating between the 4-16x or the 6-24x. Is there any downside to going with the 6-24x? I've read that with the .308 and that higher mag scope there might not be enough elevation adjustment if trying to get out past 800m. Is that true? Any reason I shouldn't consider the higher mag?

Two things to keep in mind about me...
1) I don't own a spotting scope, and for the foreseeable future I don't have a spotter (so the extra magnification might be nice)
2) I'm a magnification junkie... I'm a dental student, and out of the 170 students at school I have the highest magnification loupes. I love seeing every little detail when working on a tooth!

Re: Help with magnification choice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amerigo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read that with the .308 and that higher mag scope there might not be enough elevation adjustment if trying to get out past 800m. Is that true?</div></div>No... My buddy gets out to 1000k with his Vortex Crossfire and a 20 MOA base. The PST will do fine.

The only problem with the PST is the availability...

Good Luck!

With hi end glass you don't need the mag like you would on lower end stuff.

Now where that line is i don't know, i went from a vortex viper 6.5x20 to a premier 5x25. I can certainly tell you that you don't need 25x to see with the premier, i have not shot with it at a great distance, guns at the smith, but with it on my AR and glassing around its amazing how well and with how much detail you see at long range.

The pst "may" be somewhere in the middle and if i don't get in on the group buy with the swfa 5x20 and 1x6 i will grab a pst in what flavor i don't know yet.

Graham had a great saying about cheap scopes and hi mag but for the life of me i can't remember it, hopefully he chimes in. I was glassing around at 800 on 15x with the premier and had to problem seeing what i needed to.

I think i talked myself into a 4x16...

I'd look at the Nightforce 5.5-22X50/56. At 800 yards I need something in that power range.

I use a lot of the lower power 3-15 scopes and they work fine for the ranges you are talking but a lot of people use the 5-25 but dont know if they actually go up to 25

When it comes to target shooting and magnification, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I'm a fan of Nightforce scopes and went with a 5.5-22X50 for my rig. This point was a compromise between magnification and internal elevation adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delfuego</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amerigo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read that with the .308 and that higher mag scope there might not be enough elevation adjustment if trying to get out past 800m. Is that true?</div></div>No... My buddy gets out to 1000k with his Vortex Crossfire and a 20 MOA base. The PST will do fine.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">The only problem with the PST is the availabil</span>ity</span>...

Good Luck! </div></div>

Just need to know who to call
cool.gif

6-24.....do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delfuego</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Amerigo said:
The only problem with the PST is the availability...

Good Luck! </div></div>i would look on swfa, i grabbed one the other day and they seem to be stocking them pretty quickly.

5-20 SS has 30 mils of elevation...And better glass. The $250 off coupon expires today. That would make the non-ill scope $1050. Or if use the combo coupon with 1-6 for $1586 and sell the 1-6 for say $750 or 800...

I normally use something that tops out around 14-16 range but often wish for more. I think as one said above I had rather have it than want it. I would get at least a 20-22 up top for that range. Jsut make sure the glass quality is up to par or lese you will regret it later and upgrade which costs more than getting the right scope to begin with

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rotts4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I normally use something that tops out around 14-16 range but often wish for more. I think as one said above I had rather have it than want it. I would get at least a 20-22 up top for that range. Jsut make sure the glass quality is up to par or lese you will regret it later and upgrade which costs more than getting the right scope to begin with </div></div>
+1 IOW "Cheap comes out expensive"

I'd take a close look at the Leupold 6X-18X. I really like it on my Remington 5R.

I bought a PR 5-25x and absolutely hated the size and extra weight of the scope--though even the PR 3-15x is simply too heavy. Never used it past 15-16x. Sold it and everything I own now is 4-16x. Works good shooting to 1100 yards & can easily see further. I rarely use past ~14x out to 800 yards. FWIW, glass quality vs extra mag makes a bigger difference.

In the end, it's a personal preference you will eventually figure out after you get a chance to try/own both.

I just switched up for a 3-15x50, to a 5-20x50 and I love the extra magnification.

If you are worried about running out of adjustment just put the scope on a canted base.