• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with my custom remington 700

MR2Drew

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Here's what I have:
McMillan A4 stock, Stiller Tac 30 action (.308 boltface), Brux 22" barrel, Jewell Trigger, Harris Bi-pod, CDi Precision bottom metal, AI 10rd mag.

308.jpg

Now I already modified the stock to house the bottom metal. My question is what do I need to have a gunsmith do? Approximately what should I expect to pay? I am a total noob and am having a hard time figuring it out. I thought is all that would need to be done is having the barrel and action mated but maybe it's not that simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help with my custom remington 700

You need your barrel threaded and fit to the action chamber cut and a crown cut on the muzzle. I would guess you have a recoil lug from Stiller. That will cost $150-$200 depending on the smith.

Unless you have bedded a couple rifles I would have the Smith do that as well. w/pillars about $150. If the barrel channel fits well with a free float, fine, if not opening up the channel will be less than $75 with most smiths.

Shop for turn around time with a good smith.

it does not shoot at all right now.

_Media_Card_BlackBerry_pictures_-1.jpg

it basically looks like this, except I had it milled out for the bottom metal. I do have the recoil lug also. I pretty much plan to use this gun to learn how to shoot long range stationary targets. I do not reload at the moment but plan to in the future. Also what does it mean to have the chamber cut?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the Remington?
confused.gif
</div></div>
haha i was gonna say...

sorry, yeah there is no remington... I just meant that it was remington footprint action and stock.

Fyrefighter,
Look up wnroscoe here and see his posts on rifle building in the gunsmithing section. He is louisiana precision rifles. I spoke to him and bounced ideas off of him. as nice as can be and he has a fast turn around time. I'd call him and discuss your needs.
Best of luck