• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help with my first rifle

shabazz

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Canada
I have a few questions regarding my first rifle purchase. I have been researching for days and can't seem to find the answers so any help would be appreciated. My rifle will be used for target shooting anywhere from 100 to 600 yards. I've decided to get a tikka t3 HB for it's great action and inherent accuracy for the price. Im thinking 223 will be appropriate for cost and as a caliber to learn off of. I have a bushnell 4200 elite 6x24x40 scope for the rifle.

My first question is about barrel length. Is there an optimal barrel length for the 223? From what i've read it almost seems to be a matter of personal preference. Tikka offers both 20 and 24 inch models so what's more important for accuracy, barrel stiffness or maximum muzzle velocity? Nobody can seem to give me a definitive answer.

Second, what are the differences between the varmint and tac/super varmint models? It seems to me that it's only the rail, bolt handle, finish, threading(tac), and cheek piece. i would assume that they are built to the same quality and such but let me know if i'm wrong, because ill pay more if the cost is justified.

My last question is in regard to aftermarket stocks. I haven't heard the best things about the factory offering so I want to swap it with the bell and carlson medalist for better rigidity and harmonics. I don't want to spend 500+ on a stock so the B&C seems to make the most sense. The only problem is they only make it for the standard barrel contour, can the stock be modified to fit the heavier barrel? If you have experience with this particular stock let me know how you like it, i've only heard good things so far.

Thanks in advance.

Re: help with my first rifle

I can assure you that either barrel will perform to 600yds. I use a 16" to 600yds out of an AR. I am unsure of the difference between models and would think the stock can be channeled for any contour barrel. The .223 is a great choice to learn with and is very capable. Welcome my brother from the north.

I have a B&C Medalist for my 10FP and I love the thing. It fits me perfect. It is not as tough as my A5 McMillan but it suits me better. I have widened barrel channels .125" by using a dowel with sand paper wraped around it for more clearance and finished up with Krylon. I do understand most peoples apprehension about spray painting high dollar toys but mine changes color to adapt to seaasonal changes.
A good smith or a phone call to a reputable distributor wi;; have better answers for you. Someone will hopefully chime in.I

i really like the bell and carlsons. sure they might not be handle a truck running them over like the manners and mcmillans but my gun wont be getting run over. and yea u can sand them down like hi speed said. you can either hyro dipp them or use krylon whatever floats your boat. i recommend bedding the action and free floating the barrel. for the price you cant beat the B&C its a very good stock

I have one and not very happy with it. Barrel does not sit straight in channel.
I would opt for the mcmillian or manners