• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with my Manners stock

Lowholer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2017
I purchased a manners stock from a hide member recently its for a rem 700 my problem is the alan screws from my rem 700 magpull stock will not work 1 is to long and the other is 2 short does somebody make the exact length screws I called manners but they were closed.Anybody else have this condition?

Action screws for Rem 700 and clones are easily available 1/4"x28 screws, you can get them at Grainger or your local Ace Hardware store. It is common that you will need trim or cut your action screws to length when putting an action in a new stock. Manners sends actions screws with their stocks when you buy them from Manners, but your seller didn't give them to you.

Try your local hardware stores 1/4×28, mark your screws about where you think they should be. Take them into the store and visually compare. I would imagine Manners uses a standardized screw they can get in bulk. You can get the correct screws for an MPA or KRG chassis at Ace, so I would bet same goes for Manners.

If you dont have any luck at your local store, call manners while they are open they will send you screws. I just got some from them last week.

Reactions: Secant
Manners sends actions screws with their stocks when you buy them from Manners, but your seller didn't give them to you.
This is incorrect. Maybe if your stock has a mini chassis but the 100+ stocks I've purchased from Manners (none had the mini chassis) never came with action screws.

Dittos - manners stocks with a mini chassis come with T30 torx action screws, but otherwise, they come only with the aluminum pillars if you ordered the stock inletted for pillars. It's up to you to cut them to length, glue them in, and provide action screws of the proper length. If the screw needs quite a bit of length removed to fit, I usually cut it off using a Dremel with a cut-off wheel. If it only needs shortened a bit, I'll run it into a 'screw gizzy' (Brownell's term), which is a piece of .0625" thick 4140 plate that's been drilled & tapped for the action screws, then grind it to length on a disc sander. Before the screw is removed from the 'screw gizzy', I rotate it against the sanding disc to create a slight beveled edge, then back it out of the gizzy. That removes or smooths the ground threads as it's turned back out of the 4140 plate so it'll start easily. I got the screw gizzy idea out of one of the Gunsmith Kinks books from Brownells, and have also made gizzys of appropriate sizes for scope base screws (6-48 & 8-40). Making a gizzy out of a large enough piece of 4140 gives you an easy way to hold onto the smaller sizes of screws while sanding them to length.

My minichassis came with action screws

The same here.

The rear screw had about 3 or 4 threads protruding from the tang. I fired up the Work Sharp with a coarse belt to fine tune the fit. Only takes a few minutes and not the first time I've made a custom length screw with it.

My screws arrived yesterday and they fit like a glove. Thanks for all you fellow shooters replys.
Rick

I just got my Zeus action for a Manners PRS TCS and noticed the front screw supplied protruding into bolt zone while the back one fits perfectly flush….this thread help me out…i was worried but now know i can just trim and problem solved…I’ll trim it tomorrow. It’s my first time assembling one so this has been helpful. Thank you.