• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with my optics choice please...

J_Roger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Commerce, MI
www.facebook.com
Hey all. I've been mulling over the rim-fire section the past couple of days reading all of your reviews and opinions on all your different optics, in hopes of getting a good idea of a new scope that fits my needs. Well as of yet, a lot of things have come close, but I haven't seen one that I said "Yep, That's the one I want", so I'm going to be direct and ask your opinions with a list of specific things i want in a scope...

It's going on my Savage MK II action, on a 20 moa base i'm thinking. I would like mil-dot reticle/0.1 mrad clicks, ffp, side focus (I'm willing to compromise with rear focus) , variable (although im flexible on the powers), illuminated reticle, and large numerated turrets and if it doesn't come with one, then I would atleast like the option to add a sunshade... all for around $300

Now I am aware that it is hard to find everything I listed, and the closest I have come is the Barska Tactical 6.5-20x40. The only thing I can see that I wouldn't like with that one is the illumination dial sits right in front of the elevation dial, and seems that I wouldn't be able to see the elevation dope. Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

Re: Help with my optics choice please...

I'd definitely recommend some variety of parallax adjustment, either a/o, side focus or rear focus. 6.5x14x40 or 50mm. As for the rest, you're asking a lot for $300 and to get everything, you're going to sacrifice quality elsewhere.

A few to consider:
Super Sniper 6x42 or 10x42
Vortex 4-16x50 Crossfire 30mm tube

I've really been looking into the SS 10x42, but I would want to put it on a 20 or 25 moa base. Considering my MK II has the standard rimfire scope mount system on the reciever, would I have to have it tapped to take the base?

EGW makes a 20MOA base. Personally I like burris signiture zee rings with inserts better if it is going on a .22lr. You have the flexibility to move them to any gun you want in the future, and cost about the same as most one piece bases. What model mkii do you have? does it have no holes drilled in it at all. If it doesn't you may be better off buying a newer mkii that does have the holes drilled rather than getting that one drilled and tapped

walmart sells a 6/24/50 centerpoint for like 200 if you want it to be cheap has everything you listed except the side weel if you dont like that nikko sterling has a good selection to they have allot of choices with the side weels

nevermind on the nikko you cant reset the turrets to 0 once sighted kind of dumb.

you may be able to get away with 300 bucks quality might not be a big issue since 22s dont Recoil that mutch it wont change poi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon buckmaster
If your gonna buy a barska...ill pm you my address. I might as well spend your money if you want to throw it away!
smile.gif
</div></div>

lol thanks for the heads up... and thanks to all for the input... i really think that I'm gonna go the SS 10x42 route. I hear nothing but great things about those and aside from illumination, it has everything I need. I realized that plinking with a .22 out to 400 really doesn't need much variable x's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J_Roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would like mil-dot reticle/0.1 mrad clicks, ffp, side focus (I'm willing to compromise with rear focus) , variable (although im flexible on the powers), illuminated reticle, and large numerated turrets and if it doesn't come with one, then I would atleast like the option to add a sunshade... all for around $300</div></div>

I'm the same position as you and infact I think you've stolen my scope shopping list! lol!

The big kicker on your list is "FFP"...There are lots of second focal plane scopes out there with most or all of the features we want, but hardly any FFP.

Besides the one you mention, the other that springs to mind is that Falcon Menance 4-14 x50 FFP...Never owned one or even looked through one yet, but they seem to tick all the right boxes at that price point. Reliability is reported to be a bit "mixed" but on a .22LR, I'm willing to risk it..

The other alternative is to go for a fixed 10x50mm or similar, and so avoid the FFP/SFP issue all together...

I dont want to sound like a Troll but FFP isnt really the biggest thing i would take into consideration for a scope on a rimfire unless it was a trainer that was going to match a bigger centrefire with an FFP scope.

And due to the fact that its a rimfire you wont be dealing with recoil issues which then leans on to the fact that you will possibly be shooting it at higher powers on longer distances to see hits/holes in paper.

Nothing wrong with FFP at all, in fact its great, but if it were me i would be looking at other features other than first focal plane models.

Trust me on this one... If your intending on stretching out the legs on that little rimfire, which im guessing you are because you have a 20moa base... Your going to want Target/Tactical turrets over anything else. When your dialing it different elevations you want to be able to return to zero easily and see how many clicks you have dialed. This gets near impossible with a scope with no indicators or zero-reset feature.