• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with neck sizing die issues

MrDrift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
SE Michigan
Hi guys. I've been interested in reloading for a while and have been reading a bunch. After reading a bunch of good reviews on line about the Lee classic loader set up, I ordered one in .223. I wasn't worried about speed or anything and I figured that it was a low cost alternative for getting my feet wet in hand loading. So I read and re-read the instructions and my Lee reloading book, and started using my set up. I went through the steps and when I pulled my first case out of the die, to my surprise, it looked quite deformed. Thinking I had done something wrong, or out of order, I re-checked all my steps and it all seemed right. I tried Federal, Hornady and Remington once fired brass, and all did the same thing. I believe it may be a problem with my die. Any Ideas?

The picture is of all 3 types of brass next to a factory loaded Federal 55FMJ.

4794562312_19a6603350_b.jpg

Re: Help with neck sizing die issues

Specifically, what dies and shell holder are you running? Bushing size?It looks like the brass is going up into the die too much for some reason. You see this when the seating die is screwed down too far.

Are you using a Lee shellholder?
Sometimes different manufacturers don't play well together.

I use a Lee collet die for my reloading as well and have never had any issues like you are having.

It almost looks as though the cases might be going a bit farther into the die than they should be. I just took mine apart to see if it is possible it was assembled wrong from the factory. As long as the knurled cap on top of the die can be screwed in until all the threads are gone then you are good. If any of the threads are showing from the cap then the parts inside are in the wrong order.

If it is assembled wrong the way it goes together is:
The part with splits in it goes in first with the splits up.
The smaller steel part goes in next with the cup down.
The decapping pin is inserted in the hole of small steel part.
Screw the knurled aluminum cap all the way down until no threads are showing.

Dolomite

Looks like Lee's die is cut funny and FL sizing is forcing the shoulder back too far at the neck junction, causing the bulged shoulder. I don't think the classic loader fl sizer is something you can adjust, I'd call LEE.

No, it says not to use lube. On a normal press style neck sizing die, do you use lube?

I would never size anything without lube. I think that is the problem along with, you need to clean that brass a little better. I like to run the brass up and then turn the die down and then neck size a select amount. You don't need to go all the way to the bottom of the neck. Also if you are going to the accuracy potential of just neck sizing I would also turn the necks for more uniformity.

I’m new to reloading too.
How can the casing be bulged out larger at the shoulder than the diameter of the cartridge?
It looks like the die is the wrong one for what you are trying to load for.
I’ll be watching to see what the final verdict is.

Good luck

a neck size die is hollow. A .30 cal die can be used on just about every .30 cal round as long as you have a stroke limitation. As to your question of how can it bulge fatter than the sidewall. If you crush any cylinder it will mushroom at its softest point as it want to flow outward as it is compressed. In other words what you have is exactly what is to be expected. Put a little Imperail Sizing Wax on that neck and only go down about 75% of the neck and it will be smooth as butter.
Forgot to add that this can also happen if you over anneal. But your brass color (although pretty dang dirty) looks good.

Mr. Drift, I know what your loading tool is and I know what's happening.

What's causing your deformed shoulders is you are driving the cases much too far into the die. If you have the case sitting on the "base" correctly that shouldn't be possible, you shouldn't be having ANY effect on the case body.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Drift, I know what your loading tool is and I know what's happening.

What's causing your deformed shoulders is you are driving the cases much too far into the die. If you have the case sitting on the "base" correctly that shouldn't be possible, you shouldn't be having ANY effect on the case body. </div></div>

The directions say "With a plastic mallet or a piece of wood, drive the case into the tool flush with the end."

Not sure how I can screw that up, and there is no depth adjustment. I'll try some lube, maybe it is sticking and causing it to crush. Can I use anything from around the house as lube? Since I'm kind of far from the reloading shop.

I watched a couple instructional videos for the tool and they all just drive the case in flush and none of them come out looking like mine.

Edit: I tried some lube and although it went in like butter, still came out deformed. I have an E-mail into lee. Hopefully they respond.

I have used mobil one oil. It works very well. You could use regular motor oil. Very thin coat and make sure you get it cleaned out from inside the case as motor oil or just about every petroleum product may damage powder and or primer

"The directions say "With a plastic mallet or a piece of wood, drive the case into the tool flush with the end."

Okay, I remembered wrong. No big surprise, it's been something like 35 + years since I used one. I was thinking you had to set the case on the recapping base and drive the die body down on it.

Whatever, that's a neck sizing (only) die. It sure looks like you are driving the cases too far into it.