• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Help with optics for DPMS Recon .308

Elfy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2012
I'm going to purchase a DPMS .308 Recon and I'm thinking about putting a Nikon 4.5-14x40 BDC with side focus scope on it with a burris P.E.P.R mount & fastfire3 stacked on top. I love the whole idea of this set up giving me the max options for my .308 from 25yards to 400yards. I'm using this rifle for deer hunting and target practice.. Where I hunt I have had deer run past my stand @ 25yards to long distance shooting in a field @ 150yards plus. It's going to be my do all gun hopefully. My other AR .308 has an eotech EXPS2-0 which is wonderful but anything over 100yards and the dot covers the whole target and accuracy starts going down hill. I've tried magnifiers with red dots / eotechs on a .308 and it just doesn't work with the crappy eye relief and .308 kick. I want this new DPMS .308 recon built to do it all from 25yrds to 400yrds with minumum 3.5" eye relief...... My questions and maybe someone else has tried this set up before with other suggestions before I spend my hard earned money is?

1.) what do you think about the burris P.E.P.R mount? QD or just fixed nut mount? or something else with a possible fastfire red dot in mind.

2.) fastfire3 mounted on top of scope & high above the barrel... with the fastfire3 mounted up high ontop of scope,,, if you zero the fastfire in at 25yards does accuracy go to hell with anything over 50yards? i like the whole idea and look of the stacked fastfire on top of scope, but should i look more towards a angle side mount for the fastfire? not sure how i feel about having a fastfire side mounted at an angle.

3.) what are your thoughts on my DPMS .308 recon build with the nikon 4.5-14x40 with fastfire3,,,, or should I do something completely different for optics... remember, i'm looking for wide range options for my .308 from 25yrds to 400yrds. Do all gun type thing. I've tried eotech's with magnifier and it simply doesn't work at all magnifiers have crap eye relief.

Re: Help with optics for DPMS Recon .308

Welcome to the Hide.

First thing first, take your time and exaust your researching here before you make a decision. The .308 isn't my choice deer round "althought it will definately get the job done" but @ 25-400 yds. it should perform really well.

As far as your optic's selection, really take your time. There are some consideration's I take to heart when purchasing a scope I will list in no particular order.

Durability
Function
Warranty

etc. etc.

One scope company I will list for you I think you might want to consider is Vortex Optics http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/riflescopes and they have the best warranty your ever going to find for a rifle scope.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">Lifetime. Unlimited. Unconditional. Vortex will repair or replace the product in the event it becomes damaged or defective. Absolutely free—no matter the cause!</span></span>

Of course, they won't cover loss, theft, or deliberate damage to your scope because you beat your neighbors dog to death with it etc.

There are lots to choose from depending on your budget.

There are some high end scope's to choose from such as Zeiss, Premier, Schmidt & Bender but can run as much as over $3000. But for hunting purposes and on your .308 I wouldn't advise that unless you have money to throw away.

Leupold, Vortex, Nikon and many other's that don't cost as much are problably more suitable for your application.

Hope that helps!
Happy hunt'n,
-Moon

I've spent the whole night reading reviews on the fastfire and mounting on top of the scope with possible accuracy issues. Starting to wonder if I should scrap the whole fastfire idea and just stick with a scope now. I think you are 100% correct.. I have time and I should put some serious research into this so I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm really into the new 4-16x44 Nikon M308 scope that comes out in 1 month for about $500 bucks and it includes a 1pc mount.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/m-308

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhsFSZd5jNc

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x42-M308-Riflescope-P51928.aspx

Have you thought about a 1 o'clock mount for the fastfire? It seems popular with the 3 gun crowd. Or maybe a lower starting magnification scope with a cat tail for fast adjustment?

I have an SASS with an ACOG 648 and a Fastfire on top that works pretty well.

That said, I have an FN AR that I have a Weaver Tactical 3x15x50 Illuminated Scope mounted on a Warne R.A.M.P and a Burris Fastfire III at 45 Degrees that works extremely well for being able to utilize both the scope for medium/long range precision shots as well as fast acquisition short range targets. Based on what you have said, I would highly recommend the Warne R.A.M.P mount which would give you the 45 degree capability for your Burris which I think you would prefer to the top mount.

My Recon has an Aimpoint Micro T-1 with BUIS co-witnessed that works very well as a CQB Rifle.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but depending on what you are trying to achieve, I think you are choosing good equipment.

I would look at the vortex PST 2.5-10x44, 2.5x would work at 25 yds and 10x should be plenty at 400 yds, I like the MOA reticle and glass is also very clear plus you have the illuminated reticle.

Plus one on the 1-6SS. 6x at 400yd would be like shooting open sights at 93yd, but with a finer aiming point. Plus a true 1x on the bottom end with a very bold reticle + illumination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMT38S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look at the vortex PST 2.5-10x44, 2.5x would work at 25 yds and 10x should be plenty at 400 yds, I like the MOA reticle and glass is also very clear plus you have the illuminated reticle. </div></div>

That's the way I would go. Vortex makes great scopes with a great warranty.