• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help with Optics

hdfireman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Texas
I am new to the Hide and just getting started in LR shooting. I finally decided on a rifle so now it is time for the glass. Building a .243 w/ Stiller TAC30AW, Stiller DBM, Kreiger 1:8 5R barrel and setting it in a Manners TA4.

As you can see I have spent good money on the rifle so glass budget is going to be around 1K. I'd love a NF but can't spend the money now. I am looking at the VIPER PST 6-24X50 FFP. Would like some feedback on these or any other options.

Thanks,

Re: Help with Optics

The rifle won't be of any use to you without a scope, meaning that the rifle will only be as useful to you as the scope you put on it. Get a used SFP NF. They show up in the For Sale section all the time. You should be able to snag one for $1200.

The PST is a really decent choice...can't fault that. If you could find wiggle room....you might want to add the SS 5-20x from SWFA. I've seen some hardly used or new ones being sold here for @ $1300. Lots of positive reviews on the SS ( Super Sniper )scope. Otherwise...I like the Sightron S III line of scopes....really decent optics / turrets for the price range.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Thanks Senderofan!! I'll check them out

Keep the info coming!

I just purchased a millett lrs .1 mil 6-25x56 for less then $500 new from optics planet. Came with the 35mm rings to mount it. I am putting it on a custom 338 lapua. Honestly my first millett scope. I done a good bit of research and found only good reviews. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdfireman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Senderofan!! I'll check them out

Keep the info coming! </div></div>

Here's a link for you: http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html Sorry...you'll have to then go to riflescopes then Sightron.

The top scope is what I was thinking about...the 6-24x by 50mm with tactical knobs. Scott owns Liberty...he's a sponsor here...he will take care of you should you decide on this scope. Mention you are on the Hide...and I believe he gives you a discount. This scope is well within your budget...and would be an excellent scope. S III's have glass that compares very favorably to that of NightForce.

Good Luck,

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky1lv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a millett lrs .1 mil 6-25x56 for less then $500 new from optics planet. Came with the 35mm rings to mount it. I am putting it on a custom 338 lapua. Honestly my first millett scope. I done a good bit of research and found only good reviews. Hope this helps.</div></div>

Good luck with that?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolshed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky1lv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a millett lrs .1 mil 6-25x56 for less then $500 new from optics planet. Came with the 35mm rings to mount it. I am putting it on a custom 338 lapua. Honestly my first millett scope. I done a good bit of research and found only good reviews. Hope this helps.</div></div>

Good luck with that?!

</div></div>
Good luck with what?

I think he was referring to the Millett...lasting on a .338 Lapua Mag ( not lasting long because of the heavy recoil.) Could be wrong...but that's my hunch. I've never experienced a Millett...so can't comment directly.

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Senderofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he was referring to the Millett...lasting on a .338 Lapua Mag ( not lasting long because of the heavy recoil.) Could be wrong...but that's my hunch. I've never experienced a Millett...so can't comment directly.

Wayne </div></div>

thats the way i took it aswell. ive messed with millett before and they would not be my first choice for somthing like a 338

check into the swfa line, the new 5x20x50 is lookin like a great deal for the money

Trying to find a FFP 6-24x50mm PST is not that easy but that would be a great scope to get.

If you do SFP you can always dial it down to 12x and everything doubles (0.5mils becomes 1mil at 12x).

Mike @ CST