• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with ordered to get a new trigger for Police sniper rifle

USMC 0231

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2003
southern New Jersey
Long story short. Im a our sniper team leader on our ESU team and have been since 2007. That damn Remington trigger documentery is getting around again and a "Higher Up" is making a big deal about it now. Little back ground: Ive been a competive shooter both F class and sniper comps for a while as well as an armorer for Rem, SIg, Colt and others. Ive worked on my works trigger at the armorer school as well as maintain our teams. We have never had a problem with these older trigger and have made every attempt to duplicate the "slam fire" but as long as we keep the triggers clean and check that hte pins do not walk out we are good.

My situation is now that I was told to either update to a new Rem trigger or install an after market one asap.

So my question is: What is the best trigger for a POLICE sniper rifle? Its only for a few rifles and we are a large agency so I do not need to be cheap on it.

My choices so far are Jewell and Timney. My goal with this question is just to expedite the process.

Thanks in advance for any help.

For a duty use trigger, I would go Timney over jewel every time. One of the guys on our team uses a Timney 510 he is happy with and I have a Hubber I am happy with.

Wow! That look nice, how well does it work? Hold adjustments, etc. and easy to adjust by user? Did you have any issues with inlet? We bit pricey, but if the PD will spend the money!

Mark

CG Xtreme Mod 22 Tactical...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend the Timney 510 with the medium/narrow shoe.

This is the only trigger I install in agency and contract builds. After trying several others I went exclusively to them about 5 years ago and have had excellent feedback. This includes several large SWAT in the north west that see use in snow, high desert, coastal shoreline and valley type environments. Sometimes all in the same day.

The new generation Timneys have a neat trigger housing that is very well designed to keep crap and debris out. Very few openings for things to contaminate the internals. They also have a very simple design (few parts) and very, very good part geometry that seems to excel in allowing easy adjustments and not showing a tendency to creep or work out of that adjustment over time like some of the others I have used.

Easy install and easy adjust with factory printed instructions. Timney Manufacturing also has very, very good support.

The Jewell is awesome. But don't try to put an Indy car on a dirt track. I know a bunch that do, I just wouldn't recommend it.

PS: Regardless of your choice, I would also suggest that you allocate 1 or 2 extra triggers as spares. Every 12-18 months or sooner if some go on a nasty op, be sure to rotate the rifles through and do a preventive maintenance on the striker system, bolt face and triggers. If you find one particularly funky or in need of maintenance, just swap in one of your spares and put the rifle back into service while the original trigger is taken care of.

Good luck with your project.
Terry

Last edited:
Thanks all for the great advice. Terry thanks for taking the time to help! I decided to get the Timney 510 for our rifles. I'm just a little pissed because Im happy with our current ones but when you get a call from somebody from the state AG's office with the title of "Director of Risk Management" and starts asking questions since he saw a fucking tv show about remington triggers you get a little defensive. But if we can get a bunch of free triggers then good for us.

Thanks again
Kevin

Isn't the CG trigger mechanically similar to the triggers Sako and AI use on their rifles?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend the Timney 510 with the medium/narrow shoe.

This is the only trigger I install in agency and contract builds. After trying several others I went exclusively to them about 5 years ago and have had excellent feedback. This includes several large SWAT in the north west that see use in snow, high desert, coastal shoreline and valley type environments. Sometimes all in the same day.

The new generation Timneys have a neat trigger housing that is very well designed to keep crap and debris out. Very few openings for things to contaminate the internals. They also have a very simple design (few parts) and very, very good part geometry that seems to excel in allowing easy adjustments and not showing a tendency to creep or work out of that adjustment over time like some of the others I have used.

Easy install and easy adjust with factory printed instructions. Timney Manufacturing also has very, very good support.

The Jewell is awesome. But don't try to put an Indy car on a dirt track. I know a bunch that do, I just wouldn't recommend it.

PS: Regardless of your choice, I would also suggest that you allocate 1 or 2 extra triggers as spares. Every 12-18 months or sooner if some go on a nasty op, be sure to rotate the rifles through and do a preventive maintenance on the striker system, bolt face and triggers. If you find one particularly funky or in need of maintenance, just swap in one of your spares and put the rifle back into service while the original trigger is taken care of.

Good luck with your project.
Terry

I agree with Terry except get the 510U model. It gives you a little more firing pin fall which can improve accuracy in some rifles with sluggish ignition systems.

Thanks all for the great advice. Terry thanks for taking the time to help! I decided to get the Timney 510 for our rifles. I'm just a little pissed because Im happy with our current ones but when you get a call from somebody from the state AG's office with the title of "Director of Risk Management" and starts asking questions since he saw a fucking tv show about remington triggers you get a little defensive. But if we can get a bunch of free triggers then good for us.

Thanks again
Kevin

"free triggers...good for us"

You are going to love the 510, we have them in a couple of our rifles. I just put one in my personal bolt gun, it had a worked over factory trigger and it fails in comparison to the 510....

I agree with Terry except get the 510U model. It gives you a little more firing pin fall which can improve accuracy in some rifles with sluggish ignition systems.

Solid advice here. I put a 510 in a 700 a while back and it wasn't fully cocking, I was getting the occasional light primer strike. I called them and they sent me the longer sear for free, got it in a few days (excellent customer service btw!).

Since I replaced the sear it has been GTG.