• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help with QD rifle scope mount

Mike.b1245

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
Hello,

I am currently running a Custom Remington700 6.5 creedmoor build on an AB Arms chassis system. I am purchasing a new scope, Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 34mm tube. The chassis already had a 20 MOA rail built in and I am needing help with a new scope mount. This scope is gonna be used on rifles(Bolt action and AR 10) in the future, so I would like suggestions for a solid mount that will be good to transition to other platforms.

PS: I am looking at the IOR quick detach rifle scope setup, if you have an experience with this one please let me know your feedback.

Mike, your biggest compromise would have to be what is a usable height for you. AR-10s usually require taller ring heights than bolt rifles to comfortably get behind them. Are your bolt guns in an adjustable chassis or in a stock where you can adjust cheek height?

Bobro makes nice mounts and I believe they make one to fit your 34 mm Cronus. BTW, enjoy your scope... mine has been excellent in every way.

Bobro mounts are great. I've been using one to move my scope across a few rifles and I've never lost my zero.

Mike, your biggest compromise would have to be what is a usable height for you. AR-10s usually require taller ring heights than bolt rifles to comfortably get behind them. Are your bolt guns in an adjustable chassis or in a stock where you can adjust cheek height?

Bobro makes nice mounts and I believe they make one to fit your 34 mm Cronus. BTW, enjoy your scope... mine has been excellent in every way.
The buttstock is adjustable and this is a chassis system.

With either an adjustable chassis or stock with adjustable riser you should be able to overcome any ring height issues you may encounter while getting behind the bolt guns due to the scope needing to be higher for the AR-10.

I'd size the ring height to best fit the AR-10 and then use the cheek adjustments on the bolt gun chassis or stock to bring your cheek height up so you can get a good sight picture on them.

With the AR one pieces ring mounts, you have a choice of how far forward you push the scope forward of the receiver rail. If you get one of the extended mounts that push the scope two inches forward of the forward end of the receiver rail, how will that work on your bolt gun? Get the scope mount that works with the least forward push of the AR so it works with the bolt gun too. I am exploring the same challenge now with a new 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun (Tikka T3x TAC A1). The forward pushing specs are rarely shown when you look up the potential mounts online. I am at a lost for a better term than forward push, better explanations are appreciated.

Scott, a cherry 6.5 Creedmoor and cherry bolt gun, 35 years of gas gun fun guy.

Eye relief would be my concern more than height as was eluded to in the last two posts. Not knowing your body mechanics and how your built I'd just suggest you be mindful that having the same glass for 2 different platforms will likely be a compromise. In my experience trying to have the same glass on a QD didn't work out but I'm also build like a 5'10" orangutan with a stumpy trunk and long limbs. It was too much sacrifice in comfort and natural body position to be consistent behind either platforms, 2 bolt actions or 2 ARs would have been fine just not both platforms.

FZJ80 makes a good point. I have an ADM 34-mm mount that works great. Seems like I could go between AR platforms, or bolt platforms (provided the cheek height was right), but going between both is difficult.

Cantilever is simple English, dingbat.

If you are going to speak English, at least make an effort to know the language.

I took me approximately thirty seconds to type in the search, find the result, and copy the link.

Get off your butt, do the minimal research, and quit complaining.

Rant over.

Shit, people are giving me shit. Unbelievable.

Yeah, I'm a little sensitive right now; but REALLY?

Greg

Last edited:
Normal cross bolt rings plus a borka/etc is the way to go unless you really need QD to get to back up sights or something.

Something like a NF unimount would work well.

Spuhr qdp mount. The one I used had amazing return to zero (checked multiple times shoot group, take mount off, put back on and shoot group) pricey but worth it if you're going to be switching back and forth between rifles.

QD mounts are more trouble than they're worth. Just get a regular mount or rings.

Skip the QD, and no vertically split rings either.

Geissele mount is what I settled on. My mount search is over.
20180423_163030.jpg

Reactions: jordan0317
I have the Seekins MXM Monolithic Extended One Piece Mount and they are top notch. They are 1.45 " AR height and the 34mm have 20 MOA.

Phil G