• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP with selecting Duty Ammo!

Ranger260

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
Northern AZ
I have been tasked with making an order for duty ammo today from Winchester. Any thoughts on what ammo from the list would be the optimal to use in our rifles for LE purposes? Here is what I have to choose from:
55 gr PSP (RA223R)
64gr PP Knurl (RA223R2)
69 gr Match HPBT (RA223M)
55 gr Supreme Ballistic Silvertip (RA223BSTA)
62 gr FMJ (USA223R3)

62 gr Penetrator (M855)
55 gr FMJ (Q3131)
Sorry for the brief post... I am running out of time. We are currently using the 64 gr PP in our A2-type rifles with 20" 1:7 twist barrels. Thanks.

Re: HELP with selecting Duty Ammo!

this is interesting - when you go to winchester's site and click the "choose your ammo" option it guides you through the selection process. However, when you choose "for personal defense" they list handgun and shotgun, but no rifle choices.

We use the 55gr psp. shoots through a car winshield pretty good but does nasty cavity damage without over penetration.

Im no LEO so I have no idea what you prefer to carry, but I would think you would want to stay away from any ammo with a penetrator. If the 62gr Penetrator M855 is anything like the military's M855, it may be too much penetration to be safely fired in civilian settings.

Then again I may be totally wrong, just figured you may be worried about over penetration.

Knight...
Good point, I probably should not even have listed the Penetrator round for that reason...overpenetration is always a concern...I just happened to copy down the list of what was available.

Ranger,
I am an LEO in NC and our tactical team carries auto M-4's and our duty ammo is the Winchester Ranger 55 gr PSP. We have never had feeding issues or FTF or FTE that was blamed on the ammo or cases. The Feds did some testing on it and it weathered their test very well. I am a big believer in letting someone else spend their money to test your ammo. We also issue this ammo out for our patrol rifles.

As for the match ammo I don't think it would survive the windshield test.
The FMJ will have the same issues the 62 gr penetrator with going a lot further then you want it to.

I am by no means an ammo expert but I have been able to test a lot of rounds and the 55 gr Rangers worked the best. I know you said Winchester only but I would like to test the new TAP ammo by Hornaday but I can't get ahold of any yet.

Good luck and be safe out there. The next traffic stop might be your last. So be prepared to fight like your life depends on it.

SwatSGT,
Thanks for the advice. I agree with you on letting others spend their money to do the testing. That is why I came to this forum, as I know their are others with a great deal of experience with these decisions.

It seems that even amongst the limited cartridges that I have listed, there are several options recommended that I have received from varying sources. So far I have been recommended the following in order of preference:
1. 69 gr Match HPBT (RA223M)
2. 64gr PP Knurl (RA223R2)
3. 55 gr PSP (RA223R)
4. 55 gr Supreme Ballistic Silvertip (RA223BSTA)

Somehow I think the 64 gr PP is a better option than the match load for some intermediate barrier penetration. Looks like I have until morning to make a decision.

Kraig,
No disrespect sir, but that isn't one of the choices. I imagine a guy like you could use a pellet gun to do the job under the right circumstances
wink.gif

I'd go with the PSP. Overpenetration, from a liability standpoint, can be a big issue. Showing that you chose ammo specifically designed not to do that is a big step towards avoiding liability on that count if something really bad happens.

Federal 223 Rem 60 gr Vital-Shok Nosler Partition 20/box - the use of the Nosler Parition round is a great duty take down round and also works well on deer.

Hornady Tap 60 Gr is also a great round for duty ammo

Ranger,
Have you been able to find any test data on the match ammo?

I have been looking all morning and can not find anything that shows the test results from them. I would like to see them if you get a copy. Thanks Swat

Swat,
Unfortunately, I have not found any test data on the Match round, nor has any been provided to me. If I find anything, I will pass it along to you.