• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with size and shape of steel targets

Highplainsdakota

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2011
Bismarck ND
Hey guys,

I need ideas and information about choosing/making steel targets to permanently place on our land. My local range only goes to 540 yds. On Everyday Sniper, Frank has talked about a 0.2 mil tall horizontal bar hanging in front of another steel plate to true rifle trajectory at range. I searched the forum and can't find a picture of this.

Although I'm in ND this land has lots of valleys and a small river running through it as well as lots of wind. With that in mind, what size and shape steel targets are recommended at range? How far out are you shooting round targets? Do you switch to square or rectangular targets at 800 and beyond? If rectangular, is there a mil size height as a constant? Maybe a wider mil sized width to help with wind uncertainty if you want to true trajectory but can't deal with the wind yet? What sizes at 800, 1000, 1200, 1500. I have the ability to go 2000 if I get creative. I'm assuming 1/2" AR500 is adequate for everything we would shoot (300 Norma improved and 338 edge are our largest rifles).

Some targets would be accessible easily, but others would be set it and forget it. It would be nice to get an indicator target for the longer range or hard to get to targets. There is a cut bank over the river where it bends that would be a nice back drop, but forget painting it all the time. For the rest of the targets I understand grey primer is often a paint of choice, although I would still paint a square center or point to aim at.

For larger distant targets on a slight hill that I can drive to, I was thinking about building a gravel sand box behind it to see missed impacts. Otherwise the taller grass dashes any hope of correcting your hold. Maybe a 2x4 frame with lots of horizontal slats and pea gravel?

What's everyone else doing? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1678830368894.png
    1678830368894.png
    343.5 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Bluedog82
Do you want to become a better shooter or just ring steel?

1-1.5 moa steel targets ( circles) out to about 800 will force you to become a better shooter and read wind, impact location ect. Past 800 I would go to a 2 moa target and past about 1400 go to a 2.5-3.

I cut targets for a range close by. We try to use 3/4” AR500 for inside 500 yds, 1/2” to 700 yds, and 3/8 beyond that. We’re using the thicker plate due to the number of matches held and for the faster 6mm.
If it’s just a few of you using your range, 3/8 should last a while.

I like my 66% IPSC's. They are good for shooting 1200-1400 yards.

You can always paint smaller hitzones on the chest or just take head shots.

Make your targets portable. Use simple stands. Like tposts and tpost brackets on the back. Using crap like chains and swing set type frames get heavy and eventually fail and have to be replaced. If you do hang targets...use thicker rubber strap like firehouse. Lasts much longer.

Shooting the same distance week after week gets boring. Move the targets or the firing position to change up the layout and distance.

1 MOA targets work good out to 1 mile, I don't think a 2-3 MOA target would be much of a challenge