• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Help with tripod heads

COHotshots

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
Looking for a good, smooth tripod head but not sure what to get. Main uses are glassing while hunting and spotting for target shooting.

Don’t care too much about weight although I don’t want an overly heavy head. Price range would be 350-400 or less. I really don’t want to spend more than that.

Looking to mount it on a slik 833 tripod and use with a kowa tsn 99a spotter

I am a HUGE fan of the Anvil head for shooting. For glassing & spotting, something with a rotating base is preferable.

Given the light weight of optics, a lot of the lower priced options should work fine.

i think if you aren't going to shoot from it, a fluid head might be preferable. maybe call doug at cameralandny.com.

Take a look at the Revic FH1. It's a fantastic head.
Here is the link:

Call me with any questions
Joel
516-217-1000

Anvil with their panning adapter works great for glassing and lets you use the Anvil to full potential shooting.

The Anvil 30 from Really Right Stuff is where it’s at for heads. There is a knock off leofoto version for half the price that works pretty good. Although I find that it seems to bind a little when you cinch it down.

Reactions: YotaEer and JM4590
I'm also in the same boat. I just got an anvil-30 for shooting and want to use my old p.r.s.t. tripod for spotting. A fluid head might be the way to go for just spotting. I'm not sure if I dig the handle hanging off the side though.

I have a tripod for glassing/spotting/LRF and one for shooting. Just moved to the Anvil 30 for shooting, such a nice setup. For glassing/panning I prefer a small handle but that's just me.