• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Vortex TMT

emmagator

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Ok im really stressing about getting Vortex the correct info for my turrets. I chrono'd a bunch of rounds and found my average fps of 2963. I then ran that average through a true velocity equation and ended up with a true velocity of 2973 fps. The problem is that i dont have the area to perform a trajectory validation for my round, if i send them this true velocity along with the other pertinent info should i be ok?
Edit/Delete Message

Re: Help with Vortex TMT

I think you are chasing an exact science when that doesn't exist. Yes, you do have averages and that can help you some but remember your velocities change with the change in barometric pressure, temperature, and altitude. You will be very close but you will have to go and test your turrets with the changes in weather patterns. Then you will have to mark it down in your log book. There are so many variables that you can never expect to be perfect but practice/experience helps increase your knowledge. That is why there is a thing called the follow-up shot.
wink.gif

Oh i understand that turrets arnet an exact science. What im wondering is will the info i send them be accurate compared to someone who does a validation of trajectory. Will my process of gathering my info result in a turret that will work correctly in a perfect world?

In theory it will work perfectly for those rounds you already fired on that day during those conditions. As the previous poster stated those conditions are never the same again. Will it be close, probably and depends on your expectations. I have a Leupold Mark AR with bdc dials. It gets you close depending on ammo and range. Just depends on how accurate that first hit needs to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emmagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh i understand that turrets arnet an exact science. What im wondering is will the info i send them be accurate compared to someone who does a validation of trajectory. Will my process of gathering my info result in a turret that will work correctly in a perfect world?</div></div> to answer your specific question yes, in a perfect world and all things that can be repeatable, you should be able to make first round hits. I think doing range work will always trump doing variable tests but I think you will be close enough to work with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emmagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh i understand that turrets arnet an exact science. What im wondering is will the info i send them be accurate compared to someone who does a validation of trajectory. Will my process of gathering my info result in a turret that will work correctly in a perfect world?</div></div> to answer your specific question yes, in a perfect world and all things that can be repeatable, you should be able to make first round hits. I think doing range work will always trump doing variable tests but I think you will be close enough to work with. </div></div>
Great thanks for the input