• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help with Winchester model 70 stealth

MDStroup

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
Chesapeake,Virginia
Hopefully soon I will be purchasing a winchester model 70 stealth in .308win, model# 535120220. The problem is I want to buy a scope base and new stock plus i will be handloading for it and I can't confirm what action length or barrel twist are used on this model. Originally I thought it was a short action with a 1-10 twist 26'' barrel(like I wanted) but was recently told it really has a wssm length action with a 1-12 twist 22'' barrel . Since this is an online purchase I can't check it out until after it gets to my local ffl. And everything on the internet seems to be about the two pervious models 535027220(stealth) and 535955220(stealth 2). If anyone who has this rifle or knows about this rifle and could tell me, it would be a big help. Model 70 Stealth, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model Model 70, Stealth, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model Model 70, Stealth II, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model

In the first link of the stealth, if you click on model # 535120220 a pop up comes up with details on the rifle. I says that it is SA with a 26" barrel and 1-12 twist

I went through this confusion with their Coyote/Varmint. I'd like to be able to tell you with 100% certainty that it's going to be a wssm action, like mine ended up being, and save you the head ache of buying the wrong mount, but I can't. I'd recommend you wait until you get it in and measure the distance between tapped screws for the mounts. With this information you can then get the correct mount. I used a Ken Farrell.

Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Search results

Hopefully soon I will be purchasing a winchester model 70 stealth in .308win, model# 535120220. The problem is I want to buy a scope base and new stock plus i will be handloading for it and I can't confirm what action length or barrel twist are used on this model. Originally I thought it was a short action with a 1-10 twist 26'' barrel(like I wanted) but was recently told it really has a wssm length action with a 1-12 twist 22'' barrel . Since this is an online purchase I can't check it out until after it gets to my local ffl. And everything on the internet seems to be about the two pervious models 535027220(stealth) and 535955220(stealth 2). If anyone who has this rifle or knows about this rifle and could tell me, it would be a big help. Model 70 Stealth, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model Model 70, Stealth, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model Model 70, Stealth II, -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Historic Product Model

I have one and it is a 1-12 twist and a WSM action not the WSSM... I have a badger ord on mine I will see if I can locate the part number. Its a very accurate rifle and is good for an additional 50-75 fps over my 26" remington varmint. I stopped my load development when I hit 2744fps with 175 smk's and 44.4 grains of varget.

Don’t be afraid of the twist, it will work well with 155-190's and the 190's I have used are the long VLD types. A 10 twist is not needed in a 308 unless you are shooting subsonic, have a super short barrel or wish to use long 200+ grain bullets which would compromise case powder volume in the chamber my stealth has... 175 smk's are in the lands if loaded to 2.800"

edited to add:
I am almost certain it is 306-06WSM but I will double check when I return home...

It is the Short Action Long Port WSM CRF per the pdf sizing chart I got from badger but it doesn’t list the part number

Last edited:
The other thing you have to watch on WSM M70's is the bottom metal type. Either 2 screw or 3 screw, one piece or two piece bottom metal. You'll aslo need the port opening width, at least McMillan asked for it when i ordered my stock. Mines 2.840 inches.

Wow thanks for all the help guys. So it looks like its a WSM length action with a 1-12 twist barrel, correct. To bad really because I really wanted it in 1-10 twist. Also with it having a WSM action what stocks can fit this gun?

Wow thanks for all the help guys. So it looks like its a WSM length action with a 1-12 twist barrel, correct. To bad really because I really wanted it in 1-10 twist. Also with it having a WSM action what stocks can fit this gun?

McMillan and Manners can inlet for it, aside for them the factory stock that came with mine is a B&C varmint or some such...

What is your reasoning for wanting a 10 twist? If its to shoot 155-190 grain bullets I can tell you first hand a 12 is all you will need in this rifle. My short 20" remington tactical handles them well too, I just dont shoot bullets heavier than 180 grains in it often because of the velocity.