• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP!!!!!!

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
Ok I am using Lee Collet die on once fired FC brass from my 5r. I processed the brass yesterday and tumbled the whole time I was at work. I primed the brass, filled them with Varget, went to seat a SMK and when I pulled it out off the press I could pull the SMK right out. If I use the full size die the neck size is fine but not with the Collet die. What am I doing wrong here?

Re: HELP!!!!!!

The Collet die is not screwed down far enough to achieve good sizing of the neck.
Next time you do sizing, check for proper sizing before proceeding.

You could fix this without de-priming if you had a bushing-type neck die.

Order a new decapper stem for your collet die. Break or cut the decapper pin off
and you can resize with the live primer in. Made the same mistake years ago.

Guys thanks for all the help!!!! To anyone who is thinking about starting to reload I will say this, "You get what you pay for. Buy good dies!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To anyone who is thinking about starting to reload I will say this, "You get what you pay for. Buy good dies!" </div></div>

Eric, there's nothing wrong that die. You just have to use it properly. Read the instructions.

Used correctly, everything works well. Used incorrectly, nothing works well.

Used correctly, Lee's collet die is THE best neck die available for factory rifles.

2nd did, got fancy expensive comp dies but love my lee dies the best, I use lee dies for five different guns and NEVER had a problem

I have spun the mandrel to reduce it for a 3/1000 pinch on must of them as this is the pinch I pefer but its such an easy task any one with at least half a brain can do it

I find it just saves using the crimp die

OHHHHH just thought,,,,,,,,,,,even if you tumble the brass I would advice cleaning the inside of the neck with a bronze brush to get rid of carbon, I find this makes seating tension more consistant and so neck tension will be more consistant and will keep your dies cleaner

Bag, thanks for the tip on the necks. I guess the thing that I really do not like about the dies is that even when you have them set the tops seem sloppy to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGSkunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To anyone who is thinking about starting to reload I will say this, "You get what you pay for. Buy good dies!" </div></div>

Eric, there's nothing wrong that die. You just have to use it properly. Read the instructions. </div></div>

Well since they were bought off of my brother's friend (who lost the paperwork) I did not have anything to use. Thats why I came here because I know somone would have had some experience with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGSkunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To anyone who is thinking about starting to reload I will say this, "You get what you pay for. Buy good dies!" </div></div>

Eric, there's nothing wrong that die. You just have to use it properly. Read the instructions. </div></div>

Well since they were bought off of my brother's friend (who lost the paperwork) I did not have anything to use. Thats why I came here because I know somone would have had some experience with them. </div></div>
That's cool Eric. Also, here is a link to Lee's Help Videos website. Just scroll down to the "Die adjustment on single station presses" section and click the video called "Collet Necksizing die adjustment" and it will show how to setup a collet die:

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Order a new decapper stem for your collet die. Break or cut the decapper pin off
and you can resize with the live primer in. Made the same mistake years ago. </div></div>

You can't remove your decapping pin without cutting it off?

If using range brass, tumble and sort.
Do you need the old primer out yet?
Lube and fl size. (hey, it's range brass!)
Check again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Order a new decapper stem for your collet die. Break or cut the decapper pin off
and you can resize with the live primer in. Made the same mistake years ago. </div></div>

You can't remove your decapping pin without cutting it off?

If using range brass, tumble and sort.
Do you need the old primer out yet?
Lube and fl size. (hey, it's range brass!)
Check again. </div></div>

The collet die crimps the neck around the decapper shank at the neck, it has
to be there.