• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Helping a friend pick an entry level precision rifle

fhsjrm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2017
I have a friend looking to buy his first precision rifle. He thinks I'm an expert because I've shot out to 600 yards a few times. I am clearly not an expert, but I do have an RPR in .308 and a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and I've been able to shoot some nice groups with them. I would still consider myself very new to the discipline. He's looking at a Savage Steath, Tikki T3x TAC A1, Ruger RPR, or Bergara HMR in .308. He's going to be happy with any of these right? We shoot a lot together and I'm thinking of steering him towards the Tikka or Savage just because they're the two I don't have. As a first/entry level rifle, is here really anything to recommend one of these options over the other?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's hard to argue against the two rifles you own.

I'd add the Howa 1500 to the list.

I would (naturally) suggest the Savage, mostly because they are so easy to work on, and most of them are good shooters right from the box. Their weak point (IMHO) is the stock, and although the Accu-Stock shoots well, a number of their models' stocks aren't all that decently ergonomic.

I own a pair of the 11VT's from Dick's but they are starting to look like unobtanium. The 308's OK for 1000, the .223's what I shoot for 600yd F T/R I replace the stocks with the Choate Tactical (w/aluminum bedding block) from Midway, and the scope with the Mueller 8-32x44, same source. In the absence of the 11VT, Cabela's offers the Savage 10T, without an scope.

These rifles, these stocks, these scopes, and your buddy can get up and running.

Greg

Have a friend asking something similar, essentially told them to look at the 4 you mentioned. I would just let them try yours and see if you can find some one with savage/tikka shouldn't be too difficult. I do tend towards tikka on the entry level as they have nice actions but that's totally subjective and you have to work a bit harder when you go to change the barrel.

Tikka, howa, rpr. Maybe a used fn which you didnt list but i will cause a) I have one and its awesome and b) it doesnt have a stupid chassis....
Greg likes savage. I've had bad luck with em. But if you can get over the ugly every one I've ever had shot well until i just couldn't deal with mechanical issues any longer. I've also had bad luck out of the last 2 remingtons of newer manufactor.

It's hard to argue against the two rifles you own.

I'd add the Howa 1500 to the list.

I did forget about the Howa. I'll add that to the list.

Tikka wins for me. Its what I would do if starting over and save myself a lot of $ and time. I would get the CTR in 6.5 creedmore and a stock after a while as I dont love the chassis in my limited experience.
I have jacked with a Bergera a couple times and would put it at #2 based on footprint, trigger upgrades, comes ready for scope, rings, and bipod.

I have had savages and just dont like the bladed trigger or the bolt lift. They all did shoot well though.

Choose the one you like the looks of best. Given the same price range they are all about the same. I definitely like having a barrel nut, Remage seems to be my new flavor. It was an easy choice for me though, I was already loaded down with Remington 700 parts.

All four are good starter rifles. The Tikka Tac A1 of course is a bit spendier than the rest and you get 95% of that rifle in a Tikka T3x dropped into stock/chassis (sans the trigger and safety arrangement, which I believe is unique to the Tac A1). Your buddy should pick the one that meets his needs insofar as the ergonomics, the feature set, the aftermarket support, and the barrel length/chambering he prefers.

I have the RPR. If I did it over again I might try the Bergara or Tikka rifles; there's a cheapness to how the RPR feels and the fit/finish that bothers me. However, it is certainly a capable rifle that can serve its operator for years I imagine.

Tell him to buy the Tika T3x ctr. Instead of the A1. If he can't afford that, than I'd go Savage. Cabala's/ Savage has a $100 rebate until the end of the year on a couple different models.

Fhsjrm,

Has your buddy shot your RPR and/or HMR? I just got into precision shooting and I just bought a HMR 6.5 as my first bolt action rifle.

Fhsjrm,

Has your buddy shot your RPR and/or HMR? I just got into precision shooting and I just bought a HMR 6.5 as my first bolt action rifle.

He has shot the RPR, but not the Bergara. Based on what he told me yesterday I think he's leaning towards the Howa HCR in 308.

I get that folks don't like Savages and that I do. I have very different, very basic (probably too basic) standards. They do not take esthetics into very much account; they are almost completely about how they perform at the target. So for me, what would be a problem for some others is just a fact of life for me.

I don't like a lot of their stocks even though they shoot well. I replace the stocks. I think that the ones I don't like are not my choice because I feel they are better suited ergonomically for hunting than for shooting precisely on a range, which is 90-95% of what I do.

Bolt handles either work or they don't. Slick actions either work or they don't, Barrel nuts are a functional way to make a rifle more affordable, and easier to upgrade. More than that, they don't need to be.

Bladed triggers are a legitimate matter of preference. Glock isn't going to change theirs. Other manufacturers have adopted the balded trigger and the barrel nut; it is the future, and Savage brought both of those innovations to the rifle community.

For me, it's about do they work or don't they. They do for me; I've never had a Savage rifle that did not shoot acceptably.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg, I get your points.

However, many including me do not enjoy dealing with products that lack a certain basic level of refinement. Savage rifles, from my personal experience, have very rough cocking. In addition, from what I've seen on youtube they seems to have re-occurring problems with ejection.

AIn't nobody got time to mess with that.

I'm not as seasoned or knowledged in rifles as well as a lot of guys here. I've been out of precision shooting for a long time. This year was my first year back in awhile, and my first purchase was the savage 10fcp. I read dozens of reviews and threads and it sounded like a great idea. The rifle shot amazing, sub moa groups all day long, and with ssa 175gr ammo I was shooting some tight 3 shot groups (.39) as well as 5 shot (.65) but I have put it aside for my new howa hcr. It came down to preferences. I wasn't a big fan of the bolt slop on the savage and I wanted to upgrade the stock bolt and add accurate mag bottom metal. Doing that would have put that rifle up in the 1200-1500 dollar range. So I opted to find something that was closer to what I desired and at $1050 it was perfect. So far with the howa I'm thouroghly impressed and I'm eager to see franks review on it. I haven't gotten to fire it yet (waiting on optics) but from what I've seen, they are shooting extremely well, we will see.

Greg,
My first centerfire rifle was a savage 110. It shot like a laser. I went through about 6 extractors in the 3 years i had it. I just got tired of replacing it. I got another later in a trade i think. Also a laser. That one had the acutrigger. Also shot sub MOA. That one stripped the action screw. I did not ham fist it. It could have been partially stripped from a previous owner or tapped improperly during manufactor. I never actually minded the agricultural feel of the rifles. I still think my first was wonderful. I wish id never have let it go. Anyone who wants one is free to get one. I will never second guess a Savage on accuracy. Just for the money I personally cant recommend them for the money with Tikka, Howa, Begera and the RPR out there.
Crap, the guy who dominates me in BR when he shoots runs a Savage with a prefit...