• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt 3-12 vs 4-16

nockm

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
I am about to pull the trigger on one of these with std mil dot (I tend to get confused of the hashes and lines). Of all the reports and youtube I seen, I get a sense that folks recommend the 12x over the 16x, but no one ever said why. The scopes are nearly the same dimensionally and I am not looking into the NH1 reticle, is there any significant differences ive overlooked? I don't have any examples to try out unfortunately

Re: Hensoldt 3-12 vs 4-16

I have only owned the 4-16, but from what I remember, the 3-12 had more adjustment range (never an issue, the 4-16 had plenty) and it was slightly more clear due to the lower magnification range (also not an issue with the 4-16.) I suggest the 4-16 unless you are planning on using 3 power a lot. I dialed over 12 a ton but never wished I could go lower than 4.

thanks bm11! I noticed that the illum knob is speed based activation with 3 hr cut off but in real life is that gonna be a prob for storage? I found a good deal on the 3-12 still looking for a good deal on 4-16
smile.gif

I agonized over this very decision a few months ago. I also thought I would not like the NH1 reticle coming from a mil-dot. I was wrong, I ended up getting the NH1 4-16 and have no regrets on my 260 TRG. I do shoot most of the time at 12 power on my 4-16. It is just so easy to get behind at that power. My main use for 16 power is help with reading the mirage through the scope. It can be pretty helpful where I shoot, it's over a valley with very few visual clues. Even my buddy that has a NF 5.5-22 was a little leary of the NH1 reticle for precision purposes. He then proceeded to shoot two back-to-back 0.4 moa 5 shot groups! So much for imprecise.

The 0.5 mil hash marks are pretty nice for holding for the wind. I shot at 1060 yards last weekend in 15 mph wind. First shot missed and could easily spot that windage was 1.5 mils off exactly in my scope. Couple seconds later held additional 1.5 mils and hit the target right over the heart!

If I was putting it on something primarily for 800 yards or less, I would have a hard time choosing. I may get a 3-12 for a hunting rig some day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 4-16 will be my next scope, just too bad they don't have a Gen II in them. </div></div>

Get the NH1 reticle. I think it's far better than the Gen II.

I've owned a few Hensoldts including the two you're looking at.

I've never wanted to go lower than 4, but I have wanted to go higher than 12. The 4-16 is the right choice.

NVM MTC are mentioned in another thread recently I guess folks did discuss it. OK the SB is going back Hensoldt here i come.

Sorry another question what bases are yall mounting. Is 30-40MOA good for the 4-16?

You can't go wrong with 4-16, unless weight and size is your first concern. I have 4-16 ff mildot on 20moa and works fine out to 500-600 on my 308. I am looking for 3-12 now, let me know if you have a good deal on it.

I like both. I tend to lean toward the 4-16 for anything long range. I have a 3-12 on my .308, but the farthest I take it is 1000y, and not often.

The 3-12 has gobs of elevation travel, but the 4-16 has enough for what I need, so that's moot.

I haven't seen any negligible difference in clarity between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nockm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks bm11! I noticed that the illum knob is speed based activation with 3 hr cut off but in real life is that gonna be a prob for storage? I found a good deal on the 3-12 still looking for a good deal on 4-16
smile.gif
</div></div>It won't be an issue. You can push in the knob to turn it off.

As for your question about the mount- 45 moa was perfect for me. It left exactly .5 moa under my 100 yard zero- the same as my Bender 5-25 which does have a zero stop.