• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt and S&B

Flynn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2010
Idaho
I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm about to spend an assload of $ and who better to ask than the Hide. I'm about to pull the trigger on a PMII, but I'm wondering about the this Hensoldt: Helsoldt

Is there anything to gain or lose choosing the Hensoldt over the S&B PMII?

Re: Hensoldt and S&B

Reticle choice. I have the 3-12X56 FFP Hensoldt but looking at the new reticles S&B has I'd say you need to give that some serious weighting.

For sight picture, compactness etc you can't beat the Hensoldt, but if ranging is a requirement, then the new slew of reticles is very enticing. Also consider the MSR reticle for the S&B. There's a cool vid somewhere of a guy using it at good range.

Also consider that the S&B have slightly finer reticles than the Hensoldt so if you're into tiny groups...

Neither scope will leave you feeling bummed though!

Thanks for the reply and insight.

I prefer the Hensoldt reticle(s) over the S&B. I need a reticle that offers fast acquisition at shorter ranges (deer at 100 yards) as well as long range target shooting. It's hard to get it all in one package. this will be mated with a TRG22, 20" barrel.

If anyone would have told me a year ago that I would be spending 3k+ for a scope, I would never have believed it. As it is now, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a S&B. Given the price point, $500 more for a "better optic" with a reticle I prefer feels good.. Love to hear more from Helsoldt owners..

have u looked at the NH1 reticle for the Hensholdt??? Better than the SuB PM2 rets and as good as the IOR MP8.

I have both. I like the reticle choices of the S&B better, everything else I prefer the Hensoldt. I also prefer the knobs on the S&B, but their just knobs so that wouldn't really make any bearing on my decision.

I just purchased a Hensoldt 4-16x56 with the NH-1 reticle. Hopefully it's in my hands this monday. I would've got a S&B 5-25 with the P4F reticule but decided to try the NH-1.

Up until recently Hensoldt offered only a mil-dot reticule in their scopes, that changed with the introduction of the NH-1.

I've got both. Both are excellent...either way, you cant make a bad choice.

The reticle on the Hensoldt was thicker than the S&B. If precision shooting is your goal go with the S&B.

Flynn, I am in the very same boat you are in. All though i will be using mine for varmint hunting and i do not want a FFP scope i am chosing the Zeiss Victory Diarvai FL in either a plex or the rapid Z 800 in the SFP. The plex comes in a HSV hunting turret on the elevation only. The bell is 50mm instead of 56mm. I wish i had the option for illumination but i don't. I like the style and compactness which is similar to what you are looking at plus i hear they have the best eye box out of all of them. I will be getting mine through Euro optics and Alex is a pleasure to deal with. Good luck on your choice and as stated above you will be happy with either choice you make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything about the Hensoldt is better than the S&B with the exception of the reticle. If you put a great reticle in the Henny it's the #1 scope. </div></div>

Yea, right. I have some ocean front property for sale in Utah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything about the Hensoldt is better than the S&B with the exception of the reticle. If you put a great reticle in the Henny it's the #1 scope. </div></div>

Yea, right. I have some ocean front property for sale in Utah</div></div>

I guess my owning of both and using them in competitions doesn't qualify me to express an educated opinion. Instead we'll just go with your opinion which is what.....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything about the Hensoldt is better than the S&B with the exception of the reticle. If you put a great reticle in the Henny it's the #1 scope. </div></div>

Yea, right. I have some ocean front property for sale in Utah </div></div>

Instead of a bullshit comment why don't you explain why you disagree.

I too have an opinion on this subject if you are not intrested in it skip this post if you are here is <span style="text-decoration: underline">MY</span> opinion on the subject: I prefer the Bender w/ the P4F over the Hensoldt and here is why. The Hensoldt does have a better eyebox, it is easier to get behind fast or in aquard positions and the tube almost disapears when looking through it. The image quality (all aspects) is very good and the reliability/tracking is also very good. I dont care one way or the other about the knobs on eighter. Now reading that it sounds very good and it is, but to me the Bender was with out question better than the Hensoldt in all aspects except the eye box thing. I am able to resolve the image much better w/ the Bender and this dosent become really apparent until you get past 400-500 yds and/or the atmosphere turn bad. That to me is the most important thing after truely reliable tracking for me in an optic. I know this wasnt part of the OP question but my NF was as good or slightly better for me than the Hensoldt and Zeiss Diavari FL I had.

My point is this everyone sees things different so I highly recomend tring both at distance before you spend the $. I have been lucky enough to have had the oportunity to use more than one of each of the scopes mentioned on several different occasions in different atmospheric/lighting conditions. So I know what I like.

Let me preface this by saying I currently own both and they are great. Personally I find the glass to be equal between them. I think the Hensoldt is a little brighter, but the S&B has a little better resolution. I like the eyebox of the Hebsoldt better, but prefer the parallax adjustment of the S&B. I really like the NH1 reticle, but I played with a new H2CMR yesterday and it it probably a better reticle for match shooting.

As stated above you need to get out with both scopes and see which one your eyes like best. Two people can look through two different scopes and one will probably tell you the glass on one is better and the other person who looked through the same two scopes disagree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything about the Hensoldt is better than the S&B with the exception of the reticle. If you put a great reticle in the Henny it's the #1 scope. </div></div>

Yea, right. I have some ocean front property for sale in Utah</div></div>

I guess my owning of both and using them in competitions doesn't qualify me to express an educated opinion. Instead we'll just go with your opinion which is what.....? </div></div>

I'd have no problemif you stated that you prefered certain features of the Hensholdt over the S&B, but you made the claim that Hnesholdt is BETTER IN EVERY WAY now you are caliming it is in your opinion

Which is it "in your opinion" or is it a fact. One is provable and the other isn't

I guess that our Military choose the S&B because it is inferrior to the Hensholdt in every way. Right

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me preface this by saying I currently own both and they are great. Personally I find the glass to be equal between them. I think the Hensoldt is a little brighter, but the S&B has a little better resolution. I like the eyebox of the Hebsoldt better, but prefer the parallax adjustment of the S&B. I really like the NH1 reticle, but I played with a new H2CMR yesterday and it it probably a better reticle for match shooting.

As stated above you need to get out with both scopes and see which one your eyes like best. Two people can look through two different scopes and one will probably tell you the glass on one is better and the other person who looked through the same two scopes disagree. </div></div>

Doesn't sound like the Henny is better in every way in your eyes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too have an opinion on this subject if you are not intrested in it skip this post if you are here is <span style="text-decoration: underline">MY</span> opinion on the subject: I prefer the Bender w/ the P4F over the Hensoldt and here is why. The Hensoldt does have a better eyebox, it is easier to get behind fast or in aquard positions and the tube almost disapears when looking through it. The image quality (all aspects) is very good and the reliability/tracking is also very good. I dont care one way or the other about the knobs on eighter. Now reading that it sounds very good and it is, but to me the Bender was with out question better than the Hensoldt in all aspects except the eye box thing. I am able to resolve the image much better w/ the Bender and this dosent become really apparent until you get past 400-500 yds and/or the atmosphere turn bad. That to me is the most important thing after truely reliable tracking for me in an optic. I know this wasnt part of the OP question but my NF was as good or slightly better for me than the Hensoldt and Zeiss Diavari FL I had.

My point is this everyone sees things different so I highly recomend tring both at distance before you spend the $. I have been lucky enough to have had the oportunity to use more than one of each of the scopes mentioned on several different occasions in different atmospheric/lighting conditions. So I know what I like. </div></div>

Another that doesn't find theHensholdt,"better in every way"

Oh damn... Another "the millitary uses it therefore it's got to be the best" claim. Throw out the facts, or any PERSONAL experience, let's base it all on what Uncle Suga chooses. Rofl...

You won't be displeased win EITHER scope. By the time you start choosing between Henny and SB, your really flying in the upper echelon of optics and either will do you right as rain.

I like the P4f, I wish it was a little thicker, but then again some people bitch about how thick the Henny Reticle is. I think the glass between the two is a wash, Jbell thinks differently. Personally I thought my Henny made my f1 NF glass look horrible in comparison, the Henny was just that crisp and resolute.

Bottom line, opinions are like assholes....

Wait a minute J, are you saying that the Beretta may not be the absolute best sidearm out there? Or that since the main reason the military uses the 700 is because Big Green was the only company to provide them with a rifle, it's not necessarily the "best" either?

But I thought since that's what I use on Call of Duty: Black Ops, it must be cool!!! I've been duped!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh damn... Another "the millitary uses it therefore it's got to be the best" claim. Throw out the facts, or any PERSONAL experience, let's base it all on what Uncle Suga chooses. Rofl...

You won't be displeased win EITHER scope. By the time you start choosing between Henny and SB, your really flying in the upper echelon of optics and either will do you right as rain.

I like the P4f, I wish it was a little thicker, but then again some people bitch about how thick the Henny Reticle is. I think the glass between the two is a wash, Jbell thinks differently. Personally I thought my Henny made my f1 NF glass look horrible in comparison, the Henny was just that crisp and resolute.

Bottom line, opinions are like assholes....

</div></div>

I agree that both scopes are top notch and the difference boils down to personal preference as you suggest.

Glass and tracking are a wash with those two high end scopes. Comes down to knobs and reticles.

I personally like the zero stop and dual turn S&B knob better than the Henny knobs. I like the feel of the clicks and just like having a zero stop.

On reticles, I don't like a standard mildot reticle. Having atleast 1/2 mil marks makes the reticle more user friendly and easier to use. I also like my reticles to connect in the center. I don't like the open center style reticles. I have tried them and can't get used to them. I like having a precise aiming point. I know the point of the NH1 is in the center but after using other open center reticles it just doesn't jump at me. I like the P4F and the more I use the H2CMR the more I like it. It's fast becoming my favorite reticle.

As mentioned you won't go wrong with either scope. Pic the one that has the options and features you like. I have to disagree with Mike in that everything about the Henny is not better than the S&B. Atleast not to me and yes I have owned and used both.

When I said "better", I wasn't referring to quality, I was referring to my preference.
There is an S&B with an H2cmr reticle on it's way to me.

Quality wise, there is no difference between the two. But, like Rob said, knobs, size, clicks, ease of "zeroing", etc. Is better on the Henny IN MY OPINION for those who can't read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I said "better", I wasn't referring to quality, I was referring to my preference.
There is an S&B with an H2cmr reticle on it's way to me.

Quality wise, there is no difference between the two. But, like Rob said, knobs, size, clicks, ease of "zeroing", etc. Is better on the Henny IN MY OPINION for those who can't read. </div></div>

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have u looked at the NH1 reticle for the Hensholdt??? Better than the SuB PM2 rets and as good as the IOR MP8. </div></div>

I like the NH1 reticle. I think the P4F is too fine. I don't see the P4F being practical at 4x taking a quick shot at a deer 100 yards away. As I will be hunting with this as well, the overall size and eyebox of the Hensoldt is attractive for those fast shots.

Sample of one:

To me and my eyes the Hensoldt does not resolve images as clearly and crisply as an S&B. Resolution is on par with a USO at a substantially higher cost.

Size and eye box are nice but it wasn't nice enough to keep.

Good luck

To add to my post above, the hensoldt will be much better for you if you are planning on shooting below 7x. The tunneling is a well documented gripe towards the 5-25 S&B and would actually matter if you are taking close shots hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have u looked at the NH1 reticle for the Hensholdt??? Better than the SuB PM2 rets and as good as the IOR MP8. </div></div>

I like the NH1 reticle. I think the P4F is too fine. I don't see the P4F being practical at 4x taking a quick shot at a deer 100 yards away. As I will be hunting with this as well, the overall size and eyebox of the Hensoldt is attractive for those fast shots. </div></div>

The P-4 is thicker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To add to my post above, the hensoldt will be much better for you if you are planning on shooting below 7x. The tunneling is a well documented gripe towards the 5-25 S&B and would actually matter if you are taking close shots hunting. </div></div>

Ihave 2 of the 5X25's and I would have no problem making a shot with one below 7 power. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have u looked at the NH1 reticle for the Hensholdt??? Better than the SuB PM2 rets and as good as the IOR MP8. </div></div>

I like the NH1 reticle. I think the P4F is too fine. I don't see the P4F being practical at 4x taking a quick shot at a deer 100 yards away. As I will be hunting with this as well, the overall size and eyebox of the Hensoldt is attractive for those fast shots. </div></div>

The P-4 is thicker </div></div> For some reason, I thought the P4 (not fine) was only available in the 5-25 versions. I'm wanting a 4-16.

im looking to get a new scope this fall and am torn between the two in the 3-12 power range.

if you goal was to hunt hogs at night by moonlight w/o any night vision equipment, would it be wiser to choose the henny as it has a bigger objective...would that make it gather a noticeably more amount of light?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im looking to get a new scope this fall and am torn between the two in the 3-12 power range.

if you goal was to hunt hogs at night by moonlight w/o any night vision equipment, would it be wiser to choose the henny as it has a bigger objective...would that make it gather a noticeably more amount of light? </div></div>

Read Ilya's thread on High End Tactical Part II, in it he discuss low light performance from a very technically informed perspective. I can't remember if the S&B or Hensoldt came out better or perhaps Premier.

I would expect the 56mm however to have a favorable effect for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im looking to get a new scope this fall and am torn between the two in the 3-12 power range.

if you goal was to hunt hogs at night by moonlight w/o any night vision equipment, would it be wiser to choose the henny as it has a bigger objective...would that make it gather a noticeably more amount of light? </div></div>

Read Ilya's thread on High End Tactical Part II, in it he discuss low light performance from a very technically informed perspective. I can't remember if the S&B or Hensoldt came out better or perhaps Premier.

I would expect the 56mm however to have a favorable effect for sure. </div></div>

Can you provide a link? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im looking to get a new scope this fall and am torn between the two in the 3-12 power range.

I would expect the 56mm however to have a favorable effect for sure. </div></div>

Can you provide a link? Thanks

</div></div>

Here you go:

High End Tactical: part II

I don't understand why people say they don't care what knobs a scope has? That makes no sense. For a few hundred less you get more features with the S&B. I would gladly spend the money on the Hensoldt but it isn't the scope the S&B is IMO(feature for feature). It has nice glass, nice lit ret switch, and is compact. The S&B has all that with bitchin knobs(zero stop, second rev indicator),and nice reticle choices, all for less money.

FWIW, I use a 4-16 and 3-12 S&B. Both have single turn turrets and unlit rets. The were about $1K less than the Hensoldts. I would have kept my 5-25 but it was huge, and didnt fit anything I owned at the time.

I prefer the S&B turrets over the Henny. Hensoldt uses a tooth and groove design on their turret caps which may prevent the hashes on the turret from indexing perfectly with the referance mark on the scope body. The inside of S&B turret caps are smooth allowing the user to position it perfectly without having the indexing marks off by a fraction. Then there is the bonus of a zero stop on the S&B also. S&B turret caps seem to be a smarter design in my opinion. Clicks were also more crisp on the S&B I had vs Hensoldt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply and insight.

I prefer the Hensoldt reticle(s) over the S&B. I need a reticle that offers fast acquisition at shorter ranges (deer at 100 yards) as well as long range target shooting. It's hard to get it all in one package. this will be mated with a TRG22, 20" barrel.

If anyone would have told me a year ago that I would be spending 3k+ for a scope, I would never have believed it. As it is now, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a S&B. Given the price point, $500 more for a "better optic" with a reticle I prefer feels good.. Love to hear more from Helsoldt owners.. </div></div>

I have the NH1 4-16 Hensoldt on my TRG and have been enjoying the scope very much. I think the NH1 reticle is very good at meeting your stated goal of "fast acquisition at shorter ranges (deer at 100 yards) as well as long range target shooting." It is thicker than some of the other reticle offerings but I prefer the thicker reticle. In fact, I just returned a SS 3-9 mil-dot b/c the reticle was too thin for my liking. With the NH1, the clear area in the middle still allows target ID of small targets at long range. I had no trouble adjusting to a reticle with a clear center. If you have ever shot iron sights or pistol sights, it will seem very familiar.

My favorite aspect of the Hensoldt is that it is so easy to get down on the rifle and have the image pop into view. If this is something you value then definitely try to demo a Hensoldt. My buddy has a Nightforce 5-22x56 and I find it much more difficult to obtain a quick sight picture.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToKeepAndBear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My favorite aspect of the Hensoldt is that it is so easy to get down on the rifle and have the image pop into view. If this is something you value then definitely try to demo a Hensoldt. My buddy has a Nightforce 5-22x56 and I find it much more difficult to obtain a quick sight picture.

Good luck! </div></div>

IMHO, this is the biggest difference....the Henny is so forgiving...you can have a shitty cheekweld and still the image pops right up....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFD711</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">Hensoldt uses a tooth and groove design on their turret caps which may prevent the hashes on the turret from indexing perfectly with the referance mark on the scope body</span>. The inside of S&B turret caps are smooth allowing the user to position it perfectly without having the indexing marks off by a fraction. Then there is the bonus of a zero stop on the S&B also. S&B turret caps seem to be a smarter design in my opinion. Clicks were also more crisp on the S&B I had vs Hensoldt.</div></div>

So you've personally had an issue with the Henny hash marks not lining up? Because on all the Henny's I've had, that's never been an issue. But you know what has been an issue? The S&B turret not lining up properly due to being zero'd on a different rifle and already having a small indention in that "smooth surface" close, but not exactly, where it needs to be. Plus the S&B lines are so fine they can be difficult to see in low light conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFD711</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">Hensoldt uses a tooth and groove design on their turret caps which may prevent the hashes on the turret from indexing perfectly with the referance mark on the scope body</span>. The inside of S&B turret caps are smooth allowing the user to position it perfectly without having the indexing marks off by a fraction. Then there is the bonus of a zero stop on the S&B also. S&B turret caps seem to be a smarter design in my opinion. Clicks were also more crisp on the S&B I had vs Hensoldt.</div></div>

So you've personally had an issue with the Henny hash marks not lining up? Because on all the Henny's I've had, that's never been an issue. But you know what has been an issue? The S&B turret not lining up properly due to being zero'd on a different rifle and already having a small indention in that "smooth surface" close, but not exactly, where it needs to be. Plus the S&B lines are so fine they can be difficult to see in low light conditions. </div></div>

I own 8 S&B PM scopes and one 4-16 FF Hensoldt. The knob's hash marks on the Hensoldt do not line up. No problem getting the S&B to line up as long as one doesn't muscle the set screw on the knobs tight and create an indent for future adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFD711</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">Hensoldt uses a tooth and groove design on their turret caps which may prevent the hashes on the turret from indexing perfectly with the referance mark on the scope body</span>. The inside of S&B turret caps are smooth allowing the user to position it perfectly without having the indexing marks off by a fraction. Then there is the bonus of a zero stop on the S&B also. S&B turret caps seem to be a smarter design in my opinion. Clicks were also more crisp on the S&B I had vs Hensoldt.</div></div>

So you've personally had an issue with the Henny hash marks not lining up? Because on all the Henny's I've had, that's never been an issue. But you know what has been an issue? The S&B turret not lining up properly due to being zero'd on a different rifle and already having a small indention in that "smooth surface" close, but not exactly, where it needs to be. Plus the S&B lines are so fine they can be difficult to see in low light conditions. </div></div>

I own 8 S&B PM scopes and one 4-16 FF Hensoldt. The knob's hash marks on the Hensoldt do not line up. No problem getting the S&B to line up as long as one doesn't muscle the set screw on the knobs tight and create an indent for future adjustments. </div></div>

Can you post a pic of your Henny? You may want to send it back as I'm sure that is a mistake.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's real unheard of for the Hennny turrets to not exactly line up. I had a buddy that had 2 that he sent back. It seems like there was one run of scopes with the NH1 that had this problem. I always have Alex at Europptics check my scope before sending it out to me. If it your scope doesn't line up Zeiss is pretty quick on fixing it.

Mike, as bward said, it's not unusual at all. I've seen all extremes of this "issue" but none have been bad enough to make me want to send a scope in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, as bward said, it's not unusual at all. I've seen all extremes of this "issue" but none have been bad enough to make me want to send a scope in. </div></div>

My first Hensoldt had this issue pretty badly. The line on the scope body was dead center between the MIL marks on the turret. One call to Nathan when he had HUDISCO and it was resolved with a replacement scope.

I've had both, and you can't go wrong with either. The Hensoldt doesn't have a zero stop, but after putting it in a 45 moa mount, it had exactly the same travel left under the zero as the 5-25- 0.5 mils. I actually preferred the turrets on the Hensoldt. To me, the S&B's turrets are hard to read accurately if your eye isn't directly behind the turret, where on the Hensoldts I can read them from any angle. The size of the package is much smaller on the Henny as well, but as Rob has pointed out in the past- I've never had the scope stick out past the muzzle, so from a practicality standpoint, it was a non issue.

On the other hand, my personal preferance is the Bender. I brought them to the range, and on the same magnification, side by side, the Bender had better resolution, though they both are so good that it is moot. I prefer the Benders reticle choices over the mildot- I have tried going through a series of different holds on target, and for me, I am much more accurate with half mil holds. To be fair, a Nh1 would do the same, my Hensoldt was a mil dot. The biggest reason for me to choose the Bender is because of the magnification. I don't use 25x to shoot, but it sure is nice for spotting. I don't often shoot at less than 8x, so the tunneling, while annoying, isn't a deal breaker.

So again, to me, the Schmidt and Bender 5-25 is the winner. I think if I were getting a 3-12 or a 4-16 though, the Hensoldt would win, and if the Hensoldt came in a 5-25 FFP with a good reticle, it would be tough to beat.

-Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sample of one:

To me and my eyes the Hensoldt does not resolve images as clearly and crisply as an S&B. Resolution is on par with a USO at a substantially higher cost.

Good luck </div></div>

This was exactly my assessment. The eye box was great ,but I got quite a bit of chromatic aberration and it didnt resolve with my S&B and Premier. I honestly could resolve just as well with a buddies F1 as I could with the Hendsoldt on an eye chart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sample of one:

Good luck </div></div>

This was exactly my assessment. The eye box was great ,but I got quite a bit of chromatic aberration and it didnt resolve with my S&B and Premier. I honestly could resolve just as well with a buddies F1 as I could with the Hendsoldt on an eye chart.

</div></div>

Its really weird how some people see things differently through glass. I've got a Leupold VX-III on a target rifle and could see bullet holes on 25x at 300 through heavy mirage, but another guy couldn't see them through an SIII, which he could see through better than through my VX-III.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sample of one:

Good luck </div></div>

Holy Shit!

You've either had eyes on the worst Hensoldt ever made or the best USO. I've owned both, used both extensively, my Hensoldt has better resolution, color fidelity, and depth of field than any USO SN3 I've owned or used. (Not disparaging USO, I'm a big fan of their scopes when customization is needed. I've owned several and used a few more.)

In the end, it is all about soft measures and buyer satisfaction.

If someone else was footing the bill and money was no object, I'd run a Hensoldt (or Premier); since I am paying the bill, I run hensoldt - and Premier.

Tunneling bugs some people and doesn't bother others at all. I hate tunneling, no S&B 20X for me.

scopes001-1.jpg

Top view of both scopes..