• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt Zero

txrpls

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
This probably a stupid FNG question, but I am going to assume for the ranging lines in the 4x16 FFP to be close to accurate, the scope needs to be zeroed at 100. Is this a correct assumption?

Re: Hensoldt Zero

I would read some of the FAQs and consider purchasing a decent book on precision shooting.

Your scope has marks that correspond to milliradians or MOA. Both are angular measurements.

So regardless of your where you zero the scope those marks will stil indicate how many milliradians or moa of "size" the target represents.

Imagine your 10 feet from a chevy p/u versus a compact car. With the above system of measurement your scope will tell you that the targets take up 20 degrees or 15 degrees of your field of view. Now learning the physical or absolute size of the truck you can figure out at what distance the truck takes up 20 degrees of your field of view.

You can then check your dope or previously learned adjustments and learn how many "degrees" to hold above or below your target to compensate for the difference from your distance and zero distance no mater if that is a 100 or 300 yard zero.

I believe the non responses to your question would indicate that perhaps in was not the best question to ask.

The ranging lines have nothing to do with the scope being zero'ed at any distance. They are a constant, your object will be a constant, (70" for example) the only variable will be distance.

Zero's would be different for every caliber and rifle to rifle of the same caliber so there is no way the scope could even function if it was dependent on being zeroed

Don't be afraid to ask any question here. If you are, and need a little help, just PM me and I'll try to help you out.

I'd much rather engage a post meaningful to a beginner shooter than one more F'n "this vs. that" thread....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be afraid to ask any question here. If you are, and need a little help, just PM me and I'll try to help you out.

I'd much rather engage a post meaningful to a beginner shooter than one more F'n "this vs. that" thread.... </div></div>

very true

Thanks for the replies. Actually after I thought about it the lines at the bottom of the scope are only used for ranging and as the first 224msn pointed out have no bearing on the zero. Now what is the customary zero on a Mil-dot? 100 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, most have a 100y zero. </div></div>

Thanks for your kind words and help!

just in case you were wondering...if you have a Hensoldt 3-12 or 4-16 FFP the hash mark lines at the bottom are meant for 1 meter high objects at that distance, if the scope is an SFP then they are correct at the perscribed distance. Also i would zero that scope at 100 yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just in case you were wondering...if you have a Hensoldt 3-12 or 4-16 FFP the hash mark lines at the bottom are meant for 1 meter high objects at that distance, if the scope is an SFP then they are correct at the prescribed distance. Also i would zero that scope at 100 yds</div></div>

I have the FFP model and was aware of the 1 meter size. Do you happen to know if that will translate to yards? Seems like it would, but I would have to work out the math to be sure. To throw a new twist in I just purchased a TRG 42 .338. Would the consensus be to also zero this at 100 yds?

1 meter = 1.0936133 yards.

As far as your zero is concerned, that is strictly a personal preference. I prefer 100y zero for the simple fact that it is more accurate due to less shooter or environmental deviation. If you run a 300 yard zero, and you have a 1.5" group, where in that 1.5" is your truest POI?

Your zero will have no affect on how your scope functions.

Thanks, I know the conversion, what I was thinking about is the ratio which is 1/100 whether yards or meters. Now that I think about it, the hash marks would be a little off. I need to do a little trig and see what that difference calculates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txrpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I know the conversion, what I was thinking about is the ratio which is 1/100 whether yards or meters. Now that I think about it, the hash marks would be a little off. I need to do a little trig and see what that difference calculates. </div></div>

Or just save yourself the heartache and learn to think in meters... There's really no since in converting to yards when everything about your scope speaks to you in meters...

txrpls,

Really nice equipment. JRose is doing you a favor by answering these questions as some around here would jump all over a guy who spent $7000+ on a setup with no idea how to use it. You could learn much by reading what has already been asked and explained, covered, explained, asked, covered......... You get the idea, search is your friend, good luck!

txrpls you do understand that a Mil-Dot scope is not metric, and MRAD adjust knobs are not metric, 1 MilRad is 1/1000 of any unit of measurement you would like to use, ie 1 lightyear/1000 lightyears, 1 inch/1000 inches, or 1 meter/1000 meters(and because of this fact, some knobs are marked 1cm same as .1MRAD).

Congratulations. You have an FFP scope so the gradations will always be relative in size to the target, regardless of magnification.

Zeroing is really a separate issue. I recommend 100 yards (or meters if you so desire) for three reasons:

1) It's close so you can easily spot holes
2) The short distance won't be affected by wind drift unless it's howling.
3) If you have a scope with zero-stop and go with a 300 yard zero you'll have to hold under for shots below that (the exception being very close-in shots). For example, with my .308 load, I'd have to hold under from 30 to 250 yards. Sure, it's not that difficult, but why bother when a scope like that has plenty of travel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txrpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I know the conversion, what I was thinking about is the ratio which is 1/100 whether yards or meters. Now that I think about it, the hash marks would be a little off. I need to do a little trig and see what that difference calculates. </div></div>

Or just save yourself the heartache and learn to think in meters... There's really no since in converting to yards when everything about your scope speaks to you in meters...</div></div>

Worked the math and the the different in the hash marks are only a 1/10 inch per 100 or 1 inch at 1000 meters. I don't think I could guess that close. I agree on the meters. I am a land surveyor and the first electronic distance measuring equipment only read in meters. Some of the first dual mode equipment read in feet and meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txrpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the FFP model and was aware of the 1 meter size. Do you happen to know if that will translate to yards? Seems like it would, but I would have to work out the math to be sure.</div></div>
I think you are asking if instead of ranging a 1m object, what if you are ranging a 1yd object?

This is a great question and caused lots of discussion here!
grin.gif

The choke rangefinder works either way. With a 1 yd object it will give you the distance in yards and with a 1m object it will give you the distance in meters.

It really is no different than using the mildot. For example the "2" bracket subtends 5 mils. If you look at the formulas they are the same. Plug in yards get yards and likewise plug in meters get meters.

I had actually never thought of this before you asked. I really enjoy thought provoking questions. Thanks for asking this one!

I hope that helps.

Take care,

Nathan Hunt

@Nathan.

Thanks for the kind words. Apparently a couple of others didn't think it was a interesting question. I worked the math and it in matches to 5 decimal places (yeah I'm anal about measurements) not enough to worry about. What a fine piece of equipment. I can't wait to get it mounted up and start shooting.