• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt ZF 3-12x56 SSG-P

Konigs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Northern Italy
I have tried the search function before anyone bites my head off.... I remember seeing a post here ages ago regarding this scope and a couple of pics... Does anyone here have any experiance with this scope, I have an SB & US Optics, looking for
another scope and like the reticle on this..but concerned that it has "limited" elevation , website says 112cm @ 100M. I'm going to mount on my AI which has a factory pic rail with obviously no cant on it. I'm not sure that elevation is gonna get me out to 1000M Like to hear from anyone who's either tried this glass or has one.. thanks

Re: Hensoldt ZF 3-12x56 SSG-P

I shot a few of Nathans Hendsolts today and they were nice. He was smacking steel at 1k with that scope pretty well so Id say your safe.

The built in mount in the SSG scope is extremely high.
It works well on an AR10 or a Bullpup rifle, but the height on an AI is no good at all.
You better chose any of the other scopes instead.

Håkan

I'm sorry Aces, it wasn't the SSG-P he had on his rig, it was the FFP 3-12x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The built in mount in the SSG scope is extremely high.
It works well on an AR10 or a Bullpup rifle, but the height on an AI is no good at all.

Håkan </div></div>
Good advice.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...044#Post1406044

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The built in mount in the SSG scope is extremely high.

Håkan </div></div>
Good advice.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...044#Post1406044 </div></div>
You may want to discuss that w/ the Germans???
grin.gif
They have only been using that for a few years on the G22!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G22_ohne_Schalldaempfer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The built in mount in the SSG scope is extremely high.

Håkan </div></div>
Good advice.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...044#Post1406044 </div></div>
Whoa, mates! I have an SSG-P and an SSG and they work very well if you have an adjustable cheekpiece. I need to raise mine by about 3/4" on an AICS. I plan to use the SSG-P on an AIAW I just ordered. As Turk mentioned, the German G-22 sniper rifle uses the SSG on a AI AWM in 300WM. Check out the position of the cheekpiece on this G-22 (looks to me like it's raised about 1 cm):
G-22rifle.jpg

The up elevation with a 20MOA rail is 11.2 mils, enough for a 175SMK @ 2,650fps launched to 1kyd. The SSG has about the same up elevation, but is intended for use with a 300WM round. If you need more elevation, then you can get to 16.2 mils up elevation if you use the mil dots.

Aceshigh, you didn't say what cartridge and bullet you are shooting to 1km. If you have flat rail with the SSG-P, then you can achieve 7.5-1.4+5 = ~11 mils up elevation if you use the mil dots, and ~6 mils up elevation if you do not. I had to make the same calculation for my AIAW/SSG-P, but I will be shooting 6mm bullets with a high ballistic cofficient and need about 7.5 mils up elevation to 1kyd. It's marginally possible with 308Win to 1km, but I would look for another solution.

Hensoldt1and2003.jpg

This is a good question. The wording on the literature is a little confusing. It expresses travel from center. + or - 112 means a total of 224. (22.4 mils) This should be plenty to get most rounds subsonic, even if mounted with zero cant.

The elevation knob is a single turn design (11.5 mil), but even with a zero cant base you should have the entire 11.2 mils of drop available.

As for the mount, the scope was originally designed for use with the NSV-80 Clip-on Night Vision Device on the G22 (Accuracy International AW 300WM) as was mentioned earlier. Because of this, it's optical center line is matched perfectly with the NSV80 CNVD. The less misalignment you have between the two units, the less point of impact shift occurs between day and night firing. These two align perfectly on a flat rail.

It seems like a lot of info, but I hope that helps.

Take care,

Nathan

Nathan, the total travel of the SSG-P is not +/- 112 cm = 224 cm at 100m. I found in one brochure that it's 15.15 mils or 151 cm at 100m. If it were 224 cm, then Aceshigh and I would not have to think about it! While I have an SSG-P, it's at my other house and I can't check the total travel. Wish I could find the link with the brochure, but it wasn't Finnaccuracy.com and I'll keep looking.

BTW, I hope you're right and I'm wrong!

PS Here is the SSG brochure in German, check out the Technical Data on the second page. The total travel (in German) is 15.15 mrad or 151.5 cm at 100m. The SSG-P brochure in English does not contain the same information, but I assumed it is the same as the SSG scope.

http://www.amp-ts.com/download/ZF3-12x56SSG.pdf

"Gesamtverstellbereich" translates to "overall adjustment range".

PPS I just found the SSG-P brochure, also in German. The overall adjustment range is the same as the SSG: 15.15 mrad.

http://www.amp-ts.com/download/ZF3-12x56SSG-P.pdf

Half of the 15.15 mrad is "up" and the other half is "down". When you zero, say at 100 yards, you lose some "up" elevation. For a 115DTAC at 2,950 fps, this loss is about 1.4 mrad ("mils") with the height-over-bore of the SSG-P, leaving 15.15/2 - 1.4 = ~6.1 mrad of up elevation with a flat rail. If you use the 4 mil dots and the end of the stadia, you can get another 5 mrads for a total of ~11.1 mrads of "up" elevation in this case. That's how I did the math.

Yes, but the 11.2 mils single turn adjustment takes place in a larger window of adjustment (by loosening the knob) that is 15.1 mils of "overall adjustment" - determined when the erector hits the top or bottom of the tube.

Jack,

Just checked the one I have here. Took a bit of loosening and tightening!
grin.gif
Actually came up with 28.4 mils total with this one.

Give yours a check. It should have a little more capability.

I don't know about the 15.1. Maybe that was the SSG. It's now out of production and I dont have any experience with that model, but I do have an owners manual. Let me check it and I'll get back to you.

Take care,

Nathan

Thanks, Nate, I am very happy!! Read my PPS in a few posts back, the German brochures say the SSG and SSG-P have the same "overall adjustment range". I dunno why it's different than what you found, but it's a good difference in this case. Thanks for checking!

A way to reconcile the difference is by assuming that Hensoldt really meant +/- 15.15 mrad as you said, which is closer to your measurement. It may be that later versions of the SSG-P have more total elevation range than the SSG. In the SSG brochure that I can't find, there was a footnote that states a canted rail was needed for full elevation range for long range shooting (my words), IIRC.

That means I can get the full 11.2 mrad of up elevation with a flat rail, even with a 308Win. I will certainly check when I get home and have my SSG-P in hand.

Therefore, if your going to use G22 NVD go with it,but if you aren't, there are better choices ... like the Hensoldt 3-12 0r 4-16x56
smile.gif
or Schmidt IMHO

Jack,

Glad I could help!
wink.gif
It is starting to make a little since now.

Since the brochure you have is in regards to AMP (I assume the DSR-No. 1), It could mean the maximum amount of drop available after mounting.
confused.gif
Just a thought...

Best regards,

Nathan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Therefore, if your going to use G22 NVD go with it,but if you aren't, there are better choices ... like the Hensoldt 3-12 0r 4-16x56 or Schmidt</div></div>
Well, not if you already have the scope! The SSG/SSG-P optics are really remarkable, the one-turn elevation dial is pretty foolproof, the Blitz mount works perfectly and solidly, and the newer Hensoldts don't have the index reticle that is found in the SSG and SSG-P. Like anything, choose what you like. The built-in mount does limit which rifles you can use it on - you need a cheekpiece for sure.

Nathan, I'll PM you in a few weeks when I get home and can put the SSG-P on top of an AIAW that will be shipped next week. I can confirm your findings after I zero!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Therefore, if your going to use G22 NVD go with it,but if you aren't, there are better choices ... like the Hensoldt 3-12 0r 4-16x56
smile.gif
or Schmidt IMHO
</div></div>

Nah, The SSG-P is still a Hot Rod if you're not using the NVD. A little extra mounting height just changes the dope sheet.

Unique features:

1. Reticle Integrated Ballistic Setting Indicator.

2. Single turn elevation and limited windage knobs.

3. All controls on R/H side.

4. Cast body with integrated Q/R mount.

5. AA batteries for illumination.

It's still one of my favorites.

Thanks guys for your input, it was the info on various web pages regarding the elevation that had me confused.... I have an AI
configured exactly to G22 spec, other than it's in .308, so looks like it's off the agenda. It's currently wearing a 3-12S&B PMII but
was thinking of putting that on the .338 and using the SSG-P on the .308 Guess I won't now......... thanks again for your input guys..