• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Herbicide for Rifle Range

Campguy308

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2018
Texas
I'm looking for guidance on a herbicide to use for spraying a rifle range. I want to kill everything, and Id like it to last as long as possible.

In the past I have used Glyphosate (Roundup) with various broadleaf herbicides added ocassionally. Problem is that I have to spray about 3 times a season.

Any advice?

If you never want anything to grow you could salt the ground.
Honestly I would be VERY hesitant to use commercial pesticides as that shit is really bad for you.
Just buy a mower and mow it every now and then. Or get a cheap dozer and skim it every spring to take the grass off.

Are you wanting all vegetation dead, or just trying to minimize the amount of mowing? If it’s weeds you want gone, there are selective herbicides that can handle everything but the grasses. I’d recommend a 4-way mix of selective herbicides, and add prodiamine to stop germination of future vegetation. If you want to slow the growth, glyphosate at a reduced mixture (I believe 1/6th the killing rate) and that will stunt the growth significantly.

Reactions: Campguy308
Problem with cutting it is its too rough. And we dont have anybody willing to shred it with a tractor.

Are you wanting all vegetation dead, or just trying to minimize the amount of mowing? If it’s weeds you want gone, there are selective herbicides that can handle everything but the grasses. I’d recommend a 4-way mix of selective herbicides, and add prodiamine to stop germination of future vegetation. If you want to slow the growth, glyphosate at a reduced mixture (I believe 1/6th the killing rate) and that will stunt the growth significantly.
Preferably I want it all dead. Its a mixture of broadleaf weeds and grass. I have mixed Dycor with the glyphosate, but it always comes back in about 2 months

I heard of people using JP-8 to kill weed growth along chain link fences.

Nothing ever grew along those fence lines...

Pramitol.
Touch up with a roundup generic on the spots you miss.
BTW add a little dawn dish soap to your roundup, works as a surfactant.

R
Have you used Pramitol? I read mixed reviews on it.

Have you used Pramitol? I read mixed reviews on it.
Yes.
What you are trying to achieve is two types of action.
First, " I want lasting control".
Roundup or it's similar s are a contact only product, in fact they go inert quite quickly when they hit the dirt.
Gramoxone being similar. Btw I don't recommend dicking with this one at all.
Most residual products require some sort of incorporation. Rain can help.
We used to mix up batches of multiple chemicals to keep the grass/weeds off of hot wires around cattle lots.
Try smoking the weeds/grass/problems down , with roundup, and then use pramitol,basically a ground sterilant, as a double mode of action.

R

Its a 600 yard range about 75 yards wide. I use a 25 gallon atv sprayer and it works well.

When i use round up, I mix 3 ounces per gallon.

Reactions: Rthur
Roundup is an industrial/farming/landscaping standard ,but its just a short term solution and far from harmless( Nonselective a.k.a. Broad spectrum Herbicides are nonselective towards killing you as well as the plantlife ) , you will need to redo multiple times every year , would choose mowing over spraying as long term solution every time. Anything that kills every plant you spray will ultimately kill you

Last edited:
Roundup is an industrial/farming/landscaping standard ,but its just a short term solution and far from harmless( Nonselective a.k.a. Broad spectrum Herbicides are nonselective towards killing you as well as plantlife ) , you will need to redo multiple times every year , would choose mowing over spraying as long term solution every time. Anything that kills every plant you spray will ultimately kill you
I generally try not to spray myself or drink it.

I do agree that roundup is a short term solution

Hyvar.

Be forewarned this shit kills everything. Grass, weeds, shrubs, trees. If it grows, this kills it.

diesel is cheaper though

Hyvar.

Be forewarned this shit kills everything. Grass, weeds, shrubs, trees. If it grows, this kills it.

diesel is cheaper though
F4DD09BF-1AED-409C-B660-373440FBCA87.jpeg

Jesus, I hope yall are joking about spraying enough Diesel fuel to kill weeds over a 75x600 area.

Reactions: Hagen
Preferably I want it all dead. Its a mixture of broadleaf weeds and grass. I have mixed Dycor with the glyphosate, but it always comes back in about 2 months
Try adding prodiamine when you spray. It can be dosed for up to 8 months. Also check out Meso 4SC (Tenacity). It’s expensive but works as a herbicide and a pre-emergent.

Pramitol pellets broadcast is super effective, spray can work but you have to roundup a couple weeks in advance or mow before applying so the pramitol spray can make it straight to the soil surface. Make sure you really want it all dead because it will kill everything. It is usually only effective for one season, this will vary though, depending on your rainfall. If the measurements you posted are accurate you have about 10 acres to sterilize. Problem with sterilizers is that they are expensive in large quantities, not a big deal if you are sterilizing your driveway but when you need to do 400,000+ sq ft the cost might be prohibitive.

Another effective, environmentally friendly treatment would be salt. Mix with water, let it dilute, then pour the water in your sprayer.

https://www.forestrydistributing.com/garlon-4-ultra-triclopyr-herbicide-corteva almost as effective as agent orange well almost used to use it when working for a tree company it would kill bamboo scary fast within 2 days it was brown and no regrowth if you can get industrial strength stuff there might be better products all without your balls shriveling up , or the cancer involved with misanto products ie agent orange / round up .

https://www.forestrydistributing.com/garlon-4-ultra-triclopyr-herbicide-corteva almost as effective as agent orange well almost used to use it when working for a tree company it would kill bamboo scary fast within 2 days it was brown and no regrowth if you can get industrial strength stuff there might be better products all without your balls shriveling up , or the cancer involved with misanto products ie agent orange / round up .
Apparently if you mix that with 24D you have Agent Orange.

Killing everything is gonna make a mess of everything in times of draught or hell just no rain for a couple if days.
if the wind gets up a little bit blowing at the firing line. Its gonna suck for sure

Reactions: Simonsza1
Is the ground just dirt/soil? Or rock? If it’s soil and to rough to mow definitely can’t be that hard to find someone to pay with a tractor to come disc it up real good and then drag it off smooth. Stay off it till your grass does come back and takes root. Then it will be super smooth and easy to mow. Plus it will keep the dust and mud down this way. Just my two cents but don’t know what your soil is like. I don’t think it would take much to get it smooth. Unless your living in some town I’ve never witnessed in this country there’s definitely someone with a tractor and implements willing to make some money for doing that type of work. Make the guys in your club pitch in. Dozer could probably do it also.

I'm looking for guidance on a herbicide to use for spraying a rifle range. I want to kill everything, and Id like it to last as long as possible.

In the past I have used Glyphosate (Roundup) with various broadleaf herbicides added ocassionally. Problem is that I have to spray about 3 times a season.

Any advice?
Agent Orange! Also a gallon of kamelatoes piss would insure nothing ever came back!

Roundup is an industrial/farming/landscaping standard ,but its just a short term solution and far from harmless( Nonselective a.k.a. Broad spectrum Herbicides are nonselective towards killing you as well as plantlife ) , you will need to redo multiple times every year , would choose mowing over spraying as long term solution every time. Anything that kills every plant you spray will ultimately kill you
Three months, ago, my Dad was exposed to RoundUp, for several hours. He suffered third degree burns on his right hand and thigh. I mean, exposed tendons and muscle damage, third degree burns. We think he may have suffered some permanent neurological damage from the exposure, but have no definitive proof. Y'all be very careful using RoundUp.

Groundclear of some type….. use it 3 years in a row around late summer/fall and you will not need to do again for a long time.

Roundup isn’t a great choice here.

I've had to shed my clothes and hose off at the nurse tank a couple times when Telone splashed on me but never have I seen chemical burns that severe from roundup.
Hope your dad makes a quick recovery.
Thank you. He's out of bandages, since this past Friday, but his thinking is not "clear" for lack of a better word. Short-term memory is terrible and he doesn't follow, logically, since the exposure. It put him in physical rehab for a month and my sister and I, alternated staying with him at home, for a month. He's been examined head-to-toe, CT scans, MRIs and comprehensive labs performed. The only thing we can attribute the changes to, is the exposure. I rode with him, last week, as he drove for the first time in 2 1/2 months. He's doing well and has amazed his docs. He still has a way to go, cognitively.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
Call a company that specializes in weed control. I have a company spray one of my properties and they gaurantee their work for a year. If you have any weeds growing they will come back out and spray for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
Why not have someone disc it then drag it? It will smooth it out so you can mow.
If you kill everything you will have a mud hole after heavy rain. My club’s 100 yd range it like than now. They removed all the grass to “fix” the drainage problem now you can’t walk to the 100 yd target racks.
I am sure you know, but be careful with the herbicides, they can kill plants and animals from wind drift and if they aren’t yours, well...

Kill it with round up or glufosinate in the fall. Once the ground is clear use a pre-emergent mix like Alion/matrix. It’s not cheap but will keep most weeds down for a year. Do the same on an annual basis. That’s how we manage weeds in orchards and it’s very effective.