• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Here is what I consider the perfect scope for SPR

BaileyMoto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
Basra, Iraq.
www.mk12.net
* 3-14x (or 4-16)
* .1 mil turrets
* FFP
* Illuminated
* 40mm or smaller objective (preferably smaller)
* Bushnell 4200 or Leupold VX-3/Mark 4 quality glass
* 30mm tube
* 13" or shorter length
* TMR style reticle
* Under $1000 (tho, I'd pay around $1200)

Someone please make this scope.
smile.gif

Re: Here is what I consider the perfect scope for SPR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
* 3-14x (or 4-16)
</div></div>

Thats where you may run into problems, eye relief, image brightness on higher magnifications....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
* 3-14x (or 4-16)
</div></div>

Thats where you may run into problems, eye relief, image brightness on higher magnifications.... </div></div>

Interesting. I'll admit, I'm ignorant to this. Objective size effects eye relief? I suppose image brightness makes sense.

I think the 1.8-10x44 USO has this segment handled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Interesting. I'll admit, I'm ignorant to this. Objective size effects eye relief? I suppose image brightness makes sense. </div></div>

A formula for exit pupil is as follows: Divide the objective lens size in millimeters by the magnification. Example: if your 3-9X40 scope is set at 3X, 40 divided by 3 equals 13.3 millimeters, which is large enough for almost all low light applications. If your scope is set at 9X, 40 divided by 9 equals 4.44millimeters. The difference in available light from the larger exit pupil is significant.

The larger the exit pupil, the less critical the position of your head in relation to the scope is, also. The distance that your eye must be to the ocular lens to get a full, clear picture is called eye relief. Lower powered scopes will have a larger range of distance available for a full view. Higher powered scopes are sometimes very critical in relation to the centering of your eye through the middle of the tube, and the distance your eye must be from the ocular lens. Sometimes there is only a half inch closer or further you may be to see the whole available view. The largest eye relief currently available is about five inches, and that is pretty rare. Four inches is still great, and most scopes are between three and three and a half inches. Higher recoiling guns including slug guns require lots of eye relief to prevent "scope eye" or the cut that some people get from the ocular lens of the scope coming back under recoil and cutting a semicircular gash above the shooter's eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 1.8-10x44 USO has this segment handled. </div></div>

Except that whole 'under $1000' part...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">* 3-14x (or 4-16)
* .1 mil turrets
* FFP
* Illuminated
* 30mm tube
* 13" or shorter length
* TMR style reticle

Someone please make this scope.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Interesting choice of requirements, the Army must have had the same thoughts

http://swfa.com/Leupold-25-8x36-Mark-4-MRT-30mm-Riflescope-P5931.aspx

On this subject: how is the eye relief for a S&B 4-16x42 PM II? I know most folks love this scope and I'm seriously considering it but haven't found one to pick up and play with. It really needs to be mounted on a rifle to judge it too.

Is eye relief on this scope "finicky"? I had a Zeiss Diatal C many years ago that was hateful and I got rid of it. Don't want to plop down lots of $$$ on the S&B only to find it hard to deal with.

Personal experience opinions greatly appreciated.

I always thought the Nightforce 2.5-10X32 was a perfect SPR optic. It has good glass, is small, light and tough.

Although I will agree that the exit pupil has a lot to do with light transmission, it isn't the end all be all of the story. The quality of the glass and the coatings play an appreciable role as well.

As with everything else, many things are a trade off. If you want compact, the Nightforce is nice. If you can stand to go a bit bigger, then you'll gain the benefit of the larger exit pupil while sacrificing compactness. The size of the eye box (as it corresponds to the size of the exit pupil) is a knife that cuts both ways too. Yes it is nice to have a larger eye box, but on scopes that don't have a parallax adjustment, having a smaller eye box can also help to keep you from introducing parallax errors by forcing you to keep your eye in line with the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 1.8-10x44 USO has this segment handled. </div></div>

RIF.

Price and max magnification don't align:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
* 3-14x (or 4-16)
* .1 mil turrets
* FFP
* Illuminated
* 30mm tube
* 13" or shorter length
* TMR style reticle
</div></div>

I think the fabled Vortex Viper PST FFP is probably going to be your closest bet. It doesn't meet your objective bell requirement since it's a 50OBJ.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-mrad-reticle

I don't really find it finicky at all. On a SPR it will be a little on the "heavier" side. Something like a NF 2.5-10 or the S&B 1-8 Short dot would be my preference I'dsacrifice a little mag for compactness and weight savings.

when u say SPR, do you mean FN? Just curious trying to find me a scope for mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolfanatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when u say SPR, do you mean FN? Just curious trying to find me a scope for mine. </div></div>

No he is talking about a precision AR15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Interesting choice of requirements, the Army must have had the same thoughts

http://swfa.com/Leupold-25-8x36-Mark-4-MRT-30mm-Riflescope-P5931.aspx </div></div>

Doesnt have mill adjustments

I like the Nightforce 2.5-10 a lot but I have a little trouble resolving smaller targets, and I think the scope needs adjustable parallax. I know some will disagree with me on this, but these are my observations. The problem with your spec's is you have to give something up to get into your price range. I say a used Mark IV 3.5-10 will probably give you 92% of what you want, just make sure the previous owner hasn't had any problems. I am replacing my SPR'ish rifle's Nightforce with a new Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10 FFP M5, the Nightforce will be going on my 6.8 for hunting.

That's a tough fit right now, personally I think 14-16x is overkill for an SPR but it's your desire not mine
smile.gif

The big killer I think here is going to be the sub 50mm objective, even most lower power scopes now are coming out in 50-56mm objectives, and 50mm is the new standard for anything over 10x.

FFP and sub 50mm is going to be even harder because I think today the sterotype is that anything FFP is going on a huge heavy tactical bolt rifle and objective size and weight etc. isn't a concern. So companies may not feel any desire for a smaller, lighter FFP scope.

I agree with you though, I think for most purposes and mounting/compactness 40-42mm is fine, I'd even prefer 32-36 on an SPR. I've hunted with 36mm scopes for 25 years and never had it's lack of low light ability cost me a shot.

For me the 2.5-10 nsx would be ideal IF it was FFP. Hopefully with more mainstream companies doing FFP now we will have more options down the road. It's also too bad vortex didn't do a FFP version of their new PST 10x. If either of those two made their 10x scopes FFP I'd own 2-3 of them at least.

Another option I've always liked, but isn't popular, on an SPR is to use a scope that does not have tactical turrets, and runs a TMR like reticle and just use holdovers. It's lighter, more compact, and since you are not dialing it, less likely to have any issues with it, and for typical ranges and unless you are shooting tournaments holdovers off a TMR esp. at 14-16x should easily work for a SPR.

Another option might be to find an old S&B 3-12x42 PMII before the big turrets. There's an example of one on the samplelist. It basically looks like the current precision hunter scope only with an low pro external adjustable windage knob as well. I've seen those go in your price range. They are NOT light though and not parallax adjustable, which for me was somewhat of a bother on the precision hunter.

Falcon has one that fits most of these criteria in the 4-14x44 flavor. Not NF quality by any means, but I have used them before with fine results. I would own them again without hesitation, and the price is good. Maybe not suitable for DOD, but for those on a one-way range they are fine. Not illuminated though.

If you want to go a little higher end, the new Vortex PST series has a couple that meet "most" of your requirements.

ToddM- did you mean the 2.5-10x PST? Because there is not a plain 10x (fixed) in that lineup.

I am almost done building a AR SPR, and I wondered what glass to use. So I took the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 off my 7mm mag hunting rifle to see how that will work. It will at least give me an idea which direction to go, instead of buying something and hoping it works out.

Regards,

Rick

If NF or Leupold made something really close to the Bushnell 3-12, I'd be all over it. The Bushnell has:

3-12x magnification
FFP
Illumination
mil reticle with mil turrets
parallax adjustment (side)
still a relatively compact size

I'm still on the fence about really needing or wanting 12x (having more for target shooting is nice, tho) as well as parallax. NF claims absolutely no parallax issues with their 2.5-10x and the military seems to be happy with them.

So far I really like the Bushnell, but I am/will be wanting a scope that will sit on this rifle for the rest of its lifetime.

I am using a IOR 3-18x42 FFP and its a good set up for me

I looked at some IOR's recently, but all were significantly over $1k. Awesome glass though, and I really dug the pseudo-EREK knob on some models...